wot road name please (carrington) ?

Hi all,

As an ex notts chap I have just joined this great forum.

I now live in Cornwall and need a bit of help please.

Not sure if this is the correct place - so admins feel free to relocate.

I started here as it's the 60's that I need to info from.

1/ About 1964 I went to live just up Sherwood Rise. As far as I can recall, it was the first road on the right, from the Mansfield Road roundabout. Tried Google maps etc, but like most of Nottingham,,,, it ain't there now !

Can anyone tell me what that road was called please ?

I'm trying to find the correct spelling of someones name that also lived on that street & was hoping that the 1961 Census would give it to me - but as will all know -(cept me)- it isn't out yet ! The person that I was looking for is a girl ,,,, so she will have probably changed her surname by now, but I only have her maiden name - so will prob look for siblings etc.

2/ I had my first 'regular' pint of bitter at the pub on the corner of Milton Street & Shakespear Street. We used to go to the dances at the YMCA,,, but as that was dry, me a Dave would nip over to that pub for a pint.

That may still be there - but what was (is) that pub called please ?

3/ I was one of the first scooter lads that used to hang around market square,,,, does anyone have pictures of those days that I can download please ?

A great great site.

all the best to you all

Welcome Bazzer.

I'm sure someone will fill you in on the street name, I bet the street is still there as I don't think they've pulled anything down since before Clarendon College was built. You could do worse than post the girl's name on here, it's amazing who knows who on this website. Regarding the 1961 census, don't hold your breath, it won't be out until 2061, it has to be 100 yrs before they release a new one. Maybe you can look at a polling list for that year?

Kath

BIP: Cheers mate. I used the default font,,,, will check on it next time. Maybe it's cos I used T.Roman ?

KATH, ROB, ZAB Thanks for that. Don't forget that i'm going back to 1964. The first thing I did was look at G.Earth & M.S.Earth, but (i hate to say this) they are too modern in this instance!

The street was almost a full terrace of houses from top to bottem on both sides. Definitely not as it is now. Anyone know where I Can see a street map anywhere for 1964 ?

ZAB,BIP: Thanks for the pub name,,,, dosn't ring a bell. It's not life threatening,,,, but I've started to write a story and could do with it. I s'pose i'll have to come home & go on a pub crawl (it's been many many years since I drank Shippo's &/or Home Ales ?!?!)

thanks all

Welcome Bazzer.

Can't help you much on the road name but I was interested that you went to the YMCA dances in 1964. I met my late wife there in 1963.

Often called in the Milton's first for a little bit of extra courage.

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Shame it was a dry house,,,,,,,

it must have been about '63 when we went. Cos in '64 I was 16 & had 'wheels',,,,,,

One of the first bands I saw there was 'Rockin Henry',,,,,,, it was also the time that 'crazy' dancin' started (if you can call it dancin'),,, mind you, maybe that's what Shippo's did to you ! I never could dance after those days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bazzer...you say the street was terraced houses from top to bottom.....are you sure you mean 'first road on the right' going up?

The houses on the right hand side roads off Nottingham Rd are mostly posh Victorian types.It's the left of the road that has the streets with terraced houses.

Paul.

The person that I was looking for is a girl ,,,, so she will have probably changed her surname by now, but I only have her maiden name - so will prob look for siblings etc.

Hi Bazzer,

Friends Reunited will now display somene’s married surname when searching on maiden name. And it's free now. This may be of help.

Regards, SR

I s'pose i'll have to come home & go on a pub crawl (it's been many many years since I drank Shippo's &/or Home Ales ?!?!)

Don't hold your breath - both Shippos and Home Ales are long gone!

However Den (BIP) will be pleased to introduce you to the delights of Harvest Pale!

That street sounds to me like Jenner street. First road on the right off Hucknall road, there were terraced houses on there early sixties but not now. It is behind a pub that was called the New Inn and there is a pub on that road called the Gladstone. Does that sound familiar Bazzer?

Den.