Car Boots in Notts.

Car Boots more or less started off during the recession when Maggie was in power...It was a way to raise cash flogging off some accumulated junk.And shortly after some made a few tax free pounds by becoming small traders and flogging other peoples junk.

Apart from anything else it was something to do on those long Sundays when everywhere else was shut. (Now you'd need to plant bombs to shut 'em)

To those of you from abroad...Do you have similar...or is it just the odd 'garage sale'?

On moving to my first home with a garden I kitted myself out with a complete set of almost brand new garden tools...spades,shovel,forks,rake,hoe,even a pickaxe...all for a fiver.

Has anybody any tales of exciting finds or a real bargain bought for a few pence.?

Paul.

...Has anybody any tales of exciting finds or a real bargain bought for a few pence.?

I can certainly claim to be as lucky as anyone!

Required a 1913 Wisden Cricketer's Almanack to complete my 'full set' of 20th century volumes.

Despite nationwide searches, for a decade or more - would have been much easier had Mr Google been around - couldn't find a copy for sale for less than £600...and that was damaged.

Not long after the Bottesford Car Boot began I picked up a 1913 volume for £30, having haggled down from £50...thus adding several noughts to my collection's value!

As destitution rapidly approaches the find 'in a million' looks likely to come in handy...

Cheers

Robt P.

I picked up a Rolf Harris Stylaphone [sorry if the spelling isn't quite right] for a pound several years ago it's worth thirty or so more pounds now.

Bip.

It's garage and yard sales over here Paul

An old mate of mine used to make a part time living in Sacramento doing the rounds on Friday, Saturday's and Sunday's, he picked up some real bargains and sold them at a lot more than he'd paid for them.

Ruined the good old 'Jumble sale'.............. thats what I say!!

A good few years ago( at a jumble sale) I picked up four very early edition 'Box Brownies' for 10p total . No idea what they are worth now , because my mum (In her wisdom) sent them to the next 'Jumble ' that was held !

I also got an early 40s cine camera, for 20p, which dissapeared one day (My mum was briliant at tricks like that!!)

Beefsteak....they're all the same.

My old lady when alive could throw away for England...

In the sixties when man landed on the moon I remembered the old newspapers under the carpets at the old house. As a kid I used to read these papers about this character Hitler and his gang from years earlier...

So the day after the moon landings I bought EVERY paper (Including the Morning Star)

I wrapped 'em carefully in brown paper and hid them in the attic for my future kids to read one day.

20 years later I went up there......nothing.

"What happened to that parcel in the attic Mum?"

"Oh you mean those old papers?...The plumber spotted them when he repaired the water tank and gave them to me...I threw them away."

AAAGHHH!!!

Paul.

I picked up four very early edition 'Box Brownies' for 10p total . No idea what they are worth now ,

I also got an early 40s cine camera, for 20p, which dissapeared one day

10 pence and 20 pence respectfully.

As a child growing up on the Bilborough estate my mum and dad where great church goers, funds were needed to build a new church over at Bracebridge drive at the back of the shops so jumble sales were organised for said purpose.

I was too young at the time to know a Clarice Cliff from a woolworths throw away but still I had fun sorting the junk from the junk.

thats wot i recall

Bip

Probably not 10 p and 20p well not the 20p one any way 'caus knowing my mum the cine camera went in the bin!!

Hi all. Been to a car boot today. On the cricket field next to the Magna Charta pub in Lowdham. They only have about 4 a year on there,usually its only at bank holidays. Its a nice flat field as well,we have done a couple of car boots there ourselves. But if there is any chance of rain they will cancel it as the field gets water logged! didnt spend much,only bought a card. Hubby picked up a digital camera for a fiver! x

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching that Robson Green program the other night and it jogged a memory of another 'Treasure' I got from a 'Jumble sale' . A collection of four different sized "Scarborough" centre pin fishing reels ,made of wood , and worth a fortune nowadays. One of which was a good foot across !

I actually used to use one for ordinary course fishing for a while , whilst my reel was being replaced. Good old mum again !! sent them to another jumble

• 5 years later...

I picked up a Rolf Harris Stylaphone [sorry if the spelling isn't quite right] for a pound several years ago it's worth thirty or so more pounds now.Bip.

Not worth much now.

• Upvote 1

I bet it'll go up in value. i was just wondering about these Rolf Harris EP's I have got that were bought for me when I was a wee bairn