More Boon locations to find

I would have said that still is shot from the west? far as I know council house has only one clock face pointing towards slab square? so latter to the right of the dome, with newton building to the left so looking east (I think! lol) what's that big building in foreground? are we looking from one of higher points in the park? hence the sharp incline

Hi Ash

Yes a few of us thought the Park

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clifton......................Glad you mods read the other posts in the thread, if you did you'd have noticed that I'd already workred that out on the last page !!

It'll be from the Top of West bridgeford/ Edwalton area. When I have a bit of time I'll go through the google earth street veiw of the area and see if I can match it up

It'll be from the Top of West bridgeford/ Edwalton area. When I have a bit of time I'll go through the google earth street veiw of the area and see if I can match it up

Greythorn Drive WB? , thought it would be too far away?

Clifton......................Glad you mods read the other posts in the thread, if you did you'd have noticed that I'd already workred that out on the last page !!

You're right, I missed the post where you'd said that. Could've saved me a bit of time!

Greythorn Drive WB? , thought it would be too far away?

I thought about that area and I know it fairly well, but the steep roads don't face the right way. And the "road" he comes up on his bike doesn't look very wide - hardly wide enough fort two cars side by side, judging by the distance between the trees.

In the video clip you can see concrete lamp posts, so I think that rules out the Park. I thought of Wilford Hill as that seems to be the only high spot in that view.

I was in that area today and some of the smaller streets in and around Greythorn drive are quite steep, but you cant get a clear view as trees block most of the views.

They still have the old concrete lamp posts in that area as well.

From the old market square to wilford hill is about 2.5 miles in a straight line, it looks a lot closer than that.

How about Wilford Hill Cemetary?

I've actually been up there this afternoon - honest.

It's impossible to see the view out because of leaves on the trees. There aren't any roads within the cemetery grounds where you could make that move, and there are no concrete street lights anywhere near the place

The area around Greythorne Drive has some steep hills which nearly fit, but I don't think any of them face the right way

4444643390_c4d4ee405f_b.jpg

Have spent some time down here in Oz trying to find the photo location. Use the Google Map and check out the 340 degree photo available at the Wilford Cemetery and I believe that it shows an incorrect angle for the Boon shot. The line from Wilford is to far west if you check the view of the Newton Building.

Found the above photo taken south from the roof of the Newton building (courtesy of Flickr/Ananabanana). The Boon shot is, I think, somewhere out there to the right side of the picture.

On one of the Boon Google sites (http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/Boon/location.htm) there is a list of film locations.

After 20+ years growth and possible redevelopment, it could be an impossible task to pinpoint!

• Upvote 1

5018934522_0e0e6f7be3_b.jpg

View from Wilford Hill (courtesy of Flickr/Graham Woodward) would indicate the angle of the shot in this instance is to far from the west as the western side of the Newton Building is showing and not the eastern as in the Boon shot.

• Upvote 1

RiverTrentNottingham.jpg

Almost there!! This photo (courtesy of Wikipedia) has almost the correct angle of the dangle re the Newton building.

So all that is left is to find a site between Wilford Hill and Trent Bridge where the Boon shot was taken; either on this side of the river or closer to the city. Others may have to work that out as I can only search by Google and that is not easy.

TrevorS, I agree that the third of your shots (wikipedia) is very close........it appears to have been taken from the roof of County Hall, West Bridgford, and we went there earlier in the thread - courtesy of Beefsteak.

At that time we thought it was the answer because the original post only showed a still frame of the location. Then we saw the moving video and discovered Mr Boon rides his motorbike into the scene, and it's unlikely he rode up the side of County Hall to do it!

It's definitely somewhere near there or Wilford Hill. To prove how compulsive this thread has become, both myself and taxiray went - separately - to Wilford Hill to try and work it all out, and we both came to the conclusion it wasn't the cemetery area itself.

That leaves the hill on Melton Road or one of the side streets off it with a clear view of the city...

I have a team of researchers training ready to go into the field

32c48df9.gif

Myself and my aerial photographer are rushing to the scene poste' haste...

6c7de9f6.gif

The rest of you are no doubt glued to the outcome of this mystery...

9d01b51d.gif

• Upvote 1

Good evening Cliff ton. Agree fully with how compulsive this thread is and wonder if Burtkt realised what he would start with his post.

Have followed this post since the beginning and thought Beefsteak had cracked it. Spent a lot of time since trying to find the possible location from all the relevant photos on Flickr. Panoramia and other associated sites. The photos that I have posted would indicate that the County Hall line of site is fairly close.

Down here in OZ I only have Google Maps and since it is 48 years that I was last in Nottingham, I can only rely on the satellite pictures of Google. After going blind looking at all the photos, I have just about gone round the twist checking streets but buildings go up and trees grow in 20 odd years.

I thought the high areas around Bridgford Park, Ludlow Hill Road and the ASDI complex in Melton Road could be the answer but I could not see through or over the buildings.

I hope you, Beefsteak, taxiray and all the others on the ground over there find it soon. Good hunting!!

If it weren't for the fact I'm 90 miles away, I'd be over to West Bridgeford/Edwalton like a flash !!

TrevorS, I agree that the third of your shots (wikipedia) is very close........it appears to have been taken from the roof of County Hall, West Bridgford, and we went there earlier in the thread - courtesy of Beefsteak.

At that time we thought it was the answer because the original post only showed a still frame of the location. Then we saw the moving video and discovered Mr Boon rides his motorbike into the scene, and it's unlikely he rode up the side of County Hall to do it!

It's definitely somewhere near there or Wilford Hill. To prove how compulsive this thread has become, both myself and taxiray went - separately - to Wilford Hill to try and work it all out, and we both came to the conclusion it wasn't the cemetery area itself.

Good evening Cliff ton. Agree fully with how compulsive this thread is and wonder if Burtkt realised what he would start with his post.

Have followed this post since the beginning and thought Beefsteak had cracked it. Spent a lot of time since trying to find the possible location from all the relevant photos on Flickr. Panoramia and other associated sites. The photos that I have posted would indicate that the County Hall line of site is fairly close.

Down here in OZ I only have Google Maps and since it is 48 years that I was last in Nottingham, I can only rely on the satellite pictures of Google. After going blind looking at all the photos, I have just about gone round the twist checking streets but buildings go up and trees grow in 20 odd years.

I thought the high areas around Bridgford Park, Ludlow Hill Road and the ASDI complex in Melton Road could be the answer but I could not see through or over the buildings.

I hope you, Beefsteak, taxiray and all the others on the ground over there find it soon. Good hunting!!

Yes sorry to say I have fount it compulsive , its drove me abit mad looking for the location :laugh:

Pictures to follow (again!!) Got to fetch the kids from school !!!

Here we go guys and gals

I'm pretty sure that this is the house he turns into :-

7176546158_80128440bd_b.jpg

And the view is a very low camera angle from around here:-

7176546300_030692e3db_b.jpg

Selby Road West Bridgeford

If not these it's definately around here somewhere !!