Hi all, Ive just joined the forum, Im from Kimberley nottingham and have a big interest in old pubs owned or ran by the local brewery Kimberley ales (Hardys and Hansons).

I would be creatful if anyone had any info or pics.

I have some and will be posting in the future.

The young un!!! !cheers!

That was a moderator asking Firbeck why the quote with no comments. Not aimed at you YoungUn.

Firbeck isn't questioning you, he just quoted your post (As usual, even though he gets told not to ) and forgot to add a reply , the question was from BIP and being asked of Firbeck

Open a Photo bucket account (It's free) and dowload to there , then from there to here

Can't wait

Ian

Sorry, I replied and it went all wrong, the system refused to take on board what I had written, I should have followed it through but got all tangled up with other things, shall I start again, you're right, I don't take any notice, but sometimes it's a bit difficult, my one brain cell can't cope with this.

I'll start again.

Hardy Hansons were taken over by our wonderful local East Anglian brewery called Greene King, as usual they lied about keeping the place open, they've done the same to so many local breweries including our lovely local brewery called Ridleys, all they want is outlets.

It's always been the same, Shipstones were taken over and destroyed by Greenhall Whitleys, whats happened to them, Home Ales were destroyed by Scottish and Newcastle, whats happened to them, Mansfield Brewery, I don't know about who destroyed them, but whoever they were, I'm sure that the shareholders are enjoying a pleasant holiday in the Bahamas in their holiday homes at the expense of qualified, experienced brewery people having to seek employment at Tescos.

Greene King are the latest scumbags to rip off other breweries, no doubt, along with their manipulated line of so called local ales such as the disgusting way they promote Ruddles, they will make money for the shareholders. I have a big problem with these people, Greene King have taken over every pub down here and all we have is the prospect of their rubbish and so called guest ales from breweries they have taken over and destroyed, but pretend they are different.

Thank god that local people are seeing the light and pulling in micro breweries.

Please make an effort and refuse to buy Greene King beer, stuff the bastards and places like Hardy Hansons will still be going, no problem, they will continue to shaft people otherwise.

Please make an effort and refuse to buy Greene King beer, stuff the bastards and places like Hardy Hansons will still be going, no problem, they will continue to shaft people otherwise.

Hear hear!

Mansfield Brewery, I don't know about who destroyed them,

Wasn't it Wolverhampton & Dudley?

Greenalls is still going strong (Just up the road from here)

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-greenalls-group-plc

Blimey, I thought that they'd done the business, took the money and scarpered, leaving a bunch of talented people out of work as usual.

When you go down to Cornwall next week, if you have a problem and have to come off the M5 at Taunton, please note that most of the pubs in Taunton are run by Greene King, I couldn't beleive it when I saw it last, enjoy their beer at your peril, ignore their so called local brewery beers like Tangle Foot, they are devious liars that we should get together and put them out of business.

Sorry, but I have a thing about the way that the big breweries have manipulated things to suit themselves, I never thought that Greene King would stoop so low, I really hate what they have done to our local industry,the Kimberley breweries destruction was hard to take, it wasn't neccesary to do this, but GK know whats best for us and their share holders don't they, scumbags.

Well Im glad that there are some others who share my thoughts. I couldn't have put what overs have in a better way.

I visited the brewery a couple of months ago i got let to have a look around (all offical and above board).

I spend 5 hours there looking around nearly every part of the brewery and the amazing things that have been left. :Shock: Not to metion the debenture stock book dating back to at least 1890!!!!!

Im sure this type of stuff should be in the archives.

I have photos of all of this i also made it up to te flag pole and what i view it was !englandflag!

At the moment i have a number of folder with pictures of all the old hardys and hansons pubs when they were either fisrt built or rebuilt, and im putting a collection of now and then.

I can tell you that a lot of them have already been changes to greene king signage! I also like others have said hate how they sell other breweries beers to make out there guest beers.

Like selling kimberley cool or kimberley dark, It brewed in Bury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots

Hi Young un

My mum and dad were licences for Hardy and Hansons from 1952 in Leicester then moved to Nottingham in 1957 and retired in 1978 so if Ican help just let me know. Mum is still going strong at 95. Would be interested to know if you have any pictures of their first pub called The Griffin Inn on Belgrave Gate in Leicester.

Val

Well Im glad that there are some others who share my thoughts. I couldn't have put what overs have in a better way.

I visited the brewery a couple of months ago i got let to have a look around (all offical and above board).

I spend 5 hours there looking around nearly every part of the brewery and the amazing things that have been left. :Shock: Not to metion the debenture stock book dating back to at least 1890!!!!!

My mate used to be the architect for Shipstones, when it closed down, Greenalls took great delight in destroying everything. Fortunately he managed to save a few things, I have a Shipstones leather bound folder that I use for surveys, which by coincidence is sitting next to me, a set of huge transfers that were applied to their wagons and best of all a picture of the founder that used to hang in the boardroom.

When Greene King shut down the lovely Ridleys Brewery near to us, they ripped out all the brewing equipment within days, the reason, our local authority were appalled at what at happened and as the only original Victorian Tower brewery left in the country, they were determined to make it a listed building and stuff GK's development plans. Because GK had destroyed everything, Essex County Council couldn't legally give it Listed status, so the scumbags have made a massive profit on selling the site for housing.

My mate who ran the Ridleys pub in Finchingfield was so appalled at being forced to sell GK filth that after many years in the trade he sold up in disgust.

If you have the chance to get back into the Kimberley brewery, try and, legally, rescue as much as you can, GK will just have a big bonfire otherwise, what do they care, another one out the way, b#####s to them.

Many years ago when GK were decent chaps, I helped to design the pipework carrying IPA and Abbot Ale down to their new bottling plant, when we got to the canopy, it wouldn't go under, so we had to increase the angle of the Abbot line, it wasn't supposed to be above a certain angle, but we had no choice, never told them though, tee hee, nice to think I got one over on the ba####s

A few years ago they wanted to put a new access road into their bottling plant, despite the fact that it was across one of the few remaining natural areas in Bury St Edmunds, home to rare amphibians, snakes, sloworms, they got away with it, well they would, they have the running of the town by the short and curlies, they should have been stuffed something rotten but naaaah, they probaly paid for the new cathedral tower from the profits made by taking over the likes of Hardy Hansons and made it all OK.

Do you get the impression that I dislike them intensely.

Great pics Young 'Un - thanks.

Would I be right in saying that pub was facing where the main entrance to Newton Building (the very tall one) at Nottingham Trent University is/was? I remember a row of buildings there when I was at the then Polytechnic in the late seventies. One was a news agent, 'Flanagans' by name I think?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, some great info there guys.

Val i don't think i have any photos of the Griffin inn but i will ask some questions to the people who might know, and thanks for the offer of info. although i don't think i have any pics of the griffin yet i probably have some of the ashtrays beer mats or jugs that your parents would have used, if you wanted to have a look ill send you some pics.

As for getting in the brewery again i don't think i will get the chance again as they have put there foot down and wont let anyone go in!!!! Some metal i believe was stolen! Their obviously not bothered about the more valuable items that should be locked away somewhere safe!!!! :Fool:

Im going to try and post a link to my photos of the brewery and of some of the old pubs i have.

Im going to move it to one of the other sub sections, old notts pics is it??

Please bear with me while i try and create a link

The young un.

• 2 weeks later...

I have photos of all of this i also made it up to te flag pole and what i view it was !englandflag!

At the moment i have a number of folder with pictures of all the old hardys and hansons pubs when they were either fisrt built or rebuilt, and im putting a collection of now and then.

I can tell you that a lot of them have already been changes to greene king signage! I also like others have said hate how they sell other breweries beers to make out there guest beers.

Like selling kimberley cool or kimberley dark, It brewed in Bury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots

Hi yas Young Un....I Live on Brewery street just near the Kimberley Brewery....Would it be possible to see any of the pics and History of it...Im researching into the area around the brewery and the train stations here in Kimberley and am eager to see anything you may have....the flagpole you mentioned is seen from my window......Would love to see waht you have regarding the place....also how did you get a tour of the building ???

thanks....Kev.

• 7 years later...