Riff

Ainsley Estate

Sorry Pete C. Think I'll have to start drinking more water instead of wine!

I was born on Ainsley Estate in 1950, went to Robert Shaw, Peoples College Secondary Technical School and when that closed down to Sea School then to sea at age 16 coming back to the estate when on leave. 

I came across this site and read the postings and recognized a lot of names.

I can answer at least one of the questions. The bonfire at New Bridge did not just appear it was made of trees cut down fromTadpole Lane and Bluebell Woods, towed back along Beachdale Road tied to the back of a bike, along with card board boxes taken at night from the back of the CO-OP. The boys in charge would then build it, making a den in the middle. 

All good clean fun and in the scheme of things relatively legal.

• Upvote 1

Did the Falconbridge boy mentioned some time ago have a scar on his forehead? He was reputed to have climbed over the railings on to the mainline, and was hit by a Jubilee locomotive. Zanzibar I believe.

Remember doing tadpole lane plus the railway signal  box  down to skills buses  the good old days    in barbados now for 3 weeks  as its non stop rain in spain  the wettest winter in years

23 hours ago, nigewaggy said:

Remember doing tadpole lane plus the railway signal  box  down to skills buses  the good old days    in barbados now for 3 weeks  as its non stop rain in spain  the wettest winter in years

Yes and scrumping from the allotments