Gave up on movie theaters a long while ago.

Now use a front video projector onto a 10ft wide screen. With HD material or upconverted DVDS it is sharper than the old cinemas. I've got a comfortable seat, and I can even pause it if I need a pee. A bit of popcorn and you're all set.

Front projectors are actually cheaper than a plasma or LCD display which still seems to have a practical upper limit of around five feet.

Should probably start to new thread to discuss video systems.

Dave

Well i've just looked in my cupboard and noticed that i've got the worlds first prototype V.C.R. still in it's original box, which was nice! I'm sure that my best mates uncles dad who once said hello to Winston Churchill of all people was the person who gave it to me.

!laughing!

How much did you pay for your first VCR?

Open question to all.

I paid £645 for my JVC. Magic bit of kit with functions like, Play, Record, Rewind, Pause, Slow, etc - Just tooooo many to list.

Oh, and it had a digital clock and some lights that blinked :biggrin:

Lot of money in those days.

How much did you pay for your first VCR?

Open question to all.

I paid £645 for my JVC. Magic bit of kit with functions like, Play, Record, Rewind, Pause, Slow, etc - Just tooooo many to list.

Oh, and it had a digital clock and some lights that blinked :biggrin:

Lot of money in those days.

First VCR over $1000 Canadian. It was a portable. If you could lift it. Used it with a video camera. I was always into home movies but the resolution was not as good as the super 8 film of that day. Still got some pretty good tapes of my kids growing up.

Now HD camcorders are on the market. Still up in the $900s here though.

Dave

I rented my first Video Tape recorder from the Co-Op, I beleive it was a Furguson.

My second was a home brand from Dixons. Matsui?

Bip.

I bought our first one ( for my mum and dad) when I started shift work ,along with a Microwave oven from that big place down Lower Parliment street from the Palaise , (Began with M ) they did me a deal for the two £500 i think (about 1984) Mum still has the microwave !!!!!!!!!

Funny thing , tonight my upstairs video has seemingly packed up ( got it in pieces now cant find whats wrong) and SWMBO is going "Oh no not more expence" I tried to asure her that we did without for an awful long time so we can do without now , then it dawned on me .

A. This one didn't cost owt , as I got it with "Shell Diesel " points 8 years ago.

B. We still have three others !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nows your chance to push for Blue Ray DVD Beefy.

Lets see. That will also require an HD TV if you don't already have one. Push for a projector :victory: Of course if you go with a projector you will need a screen if you have patterned wallpaper.

Hmmmmm! That Blue Ray will have five channel audio surround. Good chance to buy new amps and speakers.

Now!!! for a good alternative HD source. Satellite TV with a subscription to all the movie channels

You will need a good sub woofer if you don't already have one.

Now all you've got to do is sell the idea. Good Luck!!!! bowdown

Loppy

I paid nearly £3k for a Grundig when they first came out. Formats hadn't been standardised then.

I then had a Philips (I think the format was called 'Super 2000' or sommat simlier) This cost £2000.

The Grundig died when a ladies boot full of bubbly went into it !

Can't recall what happened to the Philips.

The best gadget I have had by far is a Topfield PVR,,,,, I wish i'd had one years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

First video was a Ferguson VHS, about £400 from a shop on Alfreton Road (Nottingham HiFi?) around 1980, which came complete with three months membership of their video rental side.

Remember renting 'Flesh Gordon' and wondering why the tape went grainy at certain parts of the film (previous renters using 'pause' for too long, as it happened. ;) )

Only occured to me the other day when a mate offered to lend me a tape of a programme that I couldn't watch it as I haven't got a video player any more thanks to Sky+ and PVR.

Such is progress.

I bought our first one ( for my mum and dad) when I started shift work ,along with a Microwave oven from that big place down Lower Parliment streetf

Miller Brothers they subsequently moved to Victoria Park at Netherfield and went bust a couple of years ago.