• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Equality Act 2010 Ben !   Steady on a bit youth, women will want the vote next !

The last surviving female spitfire pilot Mary Ellis dies at 101, I doff my cap R.I.P.    Well worth a read.   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5993993/Last-Spitfire-girls-Ma

Those were very brave women,  many of them on the receiving end of abuse from their male counterparts. There was a fascinating tv programme made about them some years ago but there are now very few le

It's a long time since I've seen anything so spectacular. The pilot was superb. I've done a bit of aerobatic flying myself in a Chipmunk long ago but this was in a different league.

The RR Spitfire is now departing back to EMA I guess.

No it's not. It's doing an aero display.

This is the one that crashed at EMA a few years ago because 'the pilot pulled the wrong lever!' It's had a complete nut and bolt rebuild.

Arrows are here! Only six. Hope they're the teetotal ones!

Low cloud base. Just flying to and fro at the moment.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Typhoon keeps flying directly overhead. Noise is deafening.

Several years ago I was mountain biking in Wales at Coed y Brenin riding up a steep incline with a valley dropping off to my left. Cold, wet & tired, feeling like getting off the bike and walking, I became conscious of a noise from behind and turned to see a pair of Tornadoes following the valley. What a fantastic sight  to see and as they flew out of sight the noise started to swell again and a Typhoon flew down the valley following the Tornadoes, contrails swirling from it's wingtip, into the distance. What a lift it gave me, hairs standing up on the back of my neck and forgetting to feel sorry for myself. I can still see it to this day

• Like 1

It was a disappointing display but that was mainly due to the cloud base being 1500' estd. It didn't give them much scope for the full show. I was surprised to see only 6 when I expected 7. I wonder what's going on? A few years ago I knew the chief tech. of the Arrows through membership of a car club so I got the inside info. plus a visit to Scampton for a look round.

@Stuart.C Yes I've seen the footage but never connected the two, you're quite probably right. One of the most graphic descriptions of low flying, and the reflexes required, was in a book called Tornado Down written by the two aircrew who were shot down in the first Gulf War, John Peters & John Nichol. The fractions of seconds, at mach speeds and feet off the ground, to react is nothing short of awe inspiring. When you hear stories like their's it's easy to see they are cut from the same cloth as the crews that fought in WW2

2 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

@Stuart.C Yes I've seen the footage but never connected the two, you're quite probably right. One of the most graphic descriptions of low flying, and the reflexes required, was in a book called Tornado Down written by the two aircrew who were shot down in the first Gulf War, John Peters & John Nichol. The fractions of seconds, at mach speeds and feet off the ground, to react is nothing short of awe inspiring. When you hear stories like their's it's easy to see they are cut from the same cloth as the crews that fought in WW2

I met John Nichol at a company event twenty-odd years ago. He was very open about the treatment he and Peters experienced at the hands of Saddam’s thugs - a lot of which was deemed too graphic for the book.

• Like 1