I am most surprised that we don't have a tescos here. The only 'european' ones we have is carrefore and a geant - both of french origin.... and both have very french stock. We have a 'local' supermarket chain called 'spinneys' that stock waitrose products along with south african branded goods and american branded goods. The alternative to spinneysis another supermarket that has been here for 30 odd years is called 'choitrams'.... on another site for expats here, someone believed that the origin for 't choitrams' comes from the uk but I have never heard from it? You cannot do a weekly shop in one supermarket here anyway as french ones do not supply pork products , and spinneys and choitrams fresh fruit and veg is dear. There are no 'local ' small shops to be had and if there were you'd have to drive to them as here as been modelled on american infrastructure. We do have a very large fish market and a very large fruit and veg which I have been to, but sadly you have to buy in bulk, so you need a few families with you to share it out.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Maria but it may be the Jewish connection regarding Tescos, and the great Satan that is America , regarding Asda

California, Arizona and Nevada have Tesco stores, they are a smaller version of the UK ones, and are called Fresh and Easy. I think the company are trying them in the West first.

Gave Sneinton market a go today with the sweets.Seven of us on there.Greengrocer busy all day as usual...

My takings didn't even cover the rent.It's a shame..nice sunny day but a lack of punters, and at least half of them were from foreign climes.

Traffic wardens had a good day,and NCP kept us amused watching them lift a car to take to the pound.Really good for business that lot.

Ah well,some you win.............Big car boot tomorrow,at least I know there will be loadsa people passing my stall.

I don't know Maria but it may be the Jewish connection regarding Tescos, and the great Satan that is America , regarding Asda

Mmmm never knew that tescos was from jewish origins!!!! Although we have marks and spencers here (albeit franchises), kempinski hotels (surely jewish)... A while back when palestine issue was upon us all in the news (more than normal) there were comments about avoiding 'starbucks' on forums out here (how removed jewish is that?)

The only jewish problem that is out here is if you have israel stamped in your passport you cannot enter easily and of course if you are israeli - no hope!

Don't want to go off topic too much, but had an interesting conversation with a arab here from jordan (obviously muslim, but not a strictly practising one) and the jewish question I had for him was that there practises were very similar - no pork, friday is holy day etc... he had to agree!

The're all Shiites if you ask me, as bad as one another.

Rockets and bombs flying in one direction, Suicide bombers from the other.

Anyway there used to be a very busy Post Office in the middle of Long Eaton,

The closed it and put a counter in the local Co-op.

The coop which when I was a lad had a very large group of premises in Long Eaton.

No More!

Cracking day on Calverton Car Boot...beautiful day...lots of people. But they didn't want sweets :( Ah well. Was on at 5.30am and made about £20 if that.

kkiutr.jpg

In a future life I'm gonna be an MP......they probably tip the waiter more than I've earned today.

£20!!!!!!!!

Having helped out at a garage sale at the in-laws house yesterday, we left the unsold stuff in the trailer and went up to a new small scale Boot Sale at a farm shop up the road. We've never done a boot sale before and this one is only just getting going, there were only about a dozen stalls and an overpriced burger van, not many visitors either. Nice spot though, sky larks in the field and willow warblers singing in the trees. After 4 hours of mainly sunbathing, we still managed to make £75 selling crap. Yesterday morning at the garage sale we made £160, so not a bad weekend, quite good fun too.

Perhaps you should abandon the sweets and clear out the loft, or indeed other peoples.

Perhaps you should abandon the sweets and clear out the loft, or indeed other peoples.

You don't know how true that is...mate of mine opposite with a huge range of womens summer tops and slacks only took around £80 (Takings not profit)

Next to me was a guy with a trailer full of clobber...welders,drills,tools,etc etc he took around £500.He had 6 sets of ali steps..good big 'uns,new in Home base around £40/£50 A bloke bought the lot for a tenner a piece...took them to his own stall and flogged 'em all at £15/£20 each...Where there's junk there's cash....beats jelly babies hands down ;)

• 1 month later...

I have fond memories of the Central Market. I went to school with the son of the owner of the fish and hot pea stall that was in there. Eric Dickinson.

I think that his son Stuart still has the fish stall in Victoria Market.

The closure of that market, was the begining of the end of the markets in Nottingham.

The Victoria Market was never a worthy replacement.

I still frequent the stall that sells CDs on a fairly regular basis, but the chap on there looks as if he is nearing retirement age. I do not recall if he had a similar record stall on the Central Market before the Victoria was opened.

Councils have no idea what constitutes a market....One I stand on has had a ruling that no more goods will be allowed on the pavements.All goods will be on the stall or not allowed.People like a market to look like a market with piles of clutter and special offers everywhere.

Many markets run by the councils countrywide look very pretty with colourful stall sheets all matching...nice looking in their touristy brochures.Trouble is they are useless when it's blowing a gale or lashing with rain.

With regard to your post Radfordlad...when the central market moved to Vic Centre it wasn't a market anymore just a shopping mall...the atmosphere disappeared.Whenever councils become involved with their clever clever ideas I'll guarantee the markets will be ruined...look at Mansfield and Sneinton...dead.Pedestrianisation and yellow lines don't help.

Spare a thought for market blokes and all the guys and gals who stand on fairs,fetes,and gala days...this summer has been a disaster.

• 1 month later...

You refer to Arthurs Record stall in the old Central Market. When the Market moved to the Victoria Centre, after in was opened in the early 1970's, I can remember a similar record stall selling ex-jukebox records. I remember as a teenager rumaging through the many boxes of 45's and when I found what I wanted in would cost me only 30 pence, as, of course, by then, decimal currency had been introduced.

I have to say, as someone who had a paper round and cleaned peoples cars at the weekends for the princely sum of 25p money, when it came to buying records, at that particular stall in the Victoria Market, the money I earned seemed to go a lot further.

As a matter of interest I put ad in local shop last year for kids to wash van and trailer...about 1 -1/2 hours work £15...not one reply in 3 months...kids now are lazy and don't know they're born.I'd have killed for that job as a kid.

Wally, I remember ex-jukebox singles. They had no middles in them, so you had to pop your own in there so they'd sit on the spindle of your record player.

As a matter of interest I put ad in local shop last year for kids to wash van and trailer...about 1 -1/2 hours work £15...not one reply in 3 months...kids now are lazy and don't know they're born.I'd have killed for that job as a kid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember Sneinton Market from the second picture years ago. Those were the days :)

Now in the first picture I cannot believe that there is basically no market any more.

What a shame. Now on the first picture to the right, that building used to be the bath house. What is that building today?

Thanks for posting these brilliant pictures. Brings back memories :)

Just sat down this minute after returning from Sneinton market...took my sweet trailer down there at 6.30 and waited to see how many turned up.

P1010159-1.jpg

I took the picture below at 9am...absolutely dead..just 3 traders...

aassss.jpg

The fruit and veg guy does a bomb,but the public just don't bother with the rest of the market.I've given it a few weeks taking nothing in the hope it would build up.If anything it's got worse.Traders turn up and pay rent for a week or two...then disappear because they can't make it pay.

I'm sure loads on here will remember how it used to be...it seems if you aint called Tesco the public can't be bothered.Loads of traffic wardens creeping about nicking shoppers doesn't help...theres plenty of room for cars to park...but yellow lines everywhere.

I'd love to stand on there but it's just a waste of time....Shame!!!

Sneinton in it's heyday...

nnbbnbnb-1.jpg

Now on the first picture to the right, that building used to be the bath house. What is that building today?

If you're referring to this place it's the Town Mission Ragged School built 1858...it was used by the Wildlife Trust recently but I don't know if it still is.The bath house I believe was on the top corner and was a leisure center last time I saw it.,see pic 2.

ef9d83d0.jpg

67fee25c.jpg

I've now retired from the markets as I was losing money week in week out...so instead of a handy part time earner in my later years I now just have my pension.:dry:

Sneinton market brings back a few memories. When I was a very small kid, probably 3 or 4 years old my grandparents bought a piano from Sneinton market and had it shipped to our address in Netherfield without telling my mother it was coming. It was like something out of a Laurel and Hardy movie. Two big guys with a piano and my mother really didn't want the thing. It was beat up probably an old pub piano. She ran around debating these guys about whether she would have it in the house. Long story short...It ended up in our front room. !rotfl! To this day I don't know if they did it as a joke or maybe they expected it would be good for me to learn to play. I guess they sold everything there in the late forties.