• 1 year later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly, you walked past Dunn & Co and turned left into Board Marsh. where we met in the cafe every morning for the worst cup of stewed tea in the world before walking up Drury hill steps to Weekda

The Towers pub was on the way into Broad Marsh. Now that was rough! A place for picking up ladies of ill repute I believe.

I was quite familiar with Drury Hill in the 60’s. My accountancy firm moved from Park Row to Cheapside and on the occasions when I visited the office I used to park in Broad Marsh, which was then an open car park, and walk up Drury Hill. It was like being in a bygone age for a few minutes.

That's the one CT. There was a pub close by as well, on the way into B.M . If memory serves me correct, it had a bit of a reputation for being a bit rough. As a young teenager, never dared go in there.

Was it ??? Castle.

That was probably it. Why I thought something castle I don't know.

It gets more difficult to picture what places were like all those years ago. Am I right in thinking you walked down Wheeler gate and turned left past M & S into Broad Marsh.

• Like 1

Further down Wheeler Gate Barrie. Turn left just past C&A and a couple of other shops. I recollect the Tower as being a white building. It was not far from the Sawyer’s Arms, another pub of ill repute, which became a Berni Inn. 
I was expecting a photograph from Cliff Ton! It was an Art Deco style building with a tower. Demolished in 1971.

Yes !! Bugger it, wrong again. CT and Phil, thanks for enlightening me. Forgot all about C & A. Thing is, I remember well, the Alms houses that used to be on the right at the start of Arlwright street. Can even remember the bus stops that were along that side. 

Sorry, can see that Phil has already answered that one. Must pay more attention!

2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The alms houses were to the right on Carrington St. That became an open car park for some time.

You see, got that bugger wrong too. Can recall stopping at those bus stops when working on 43s, Trent br. to Bulwell market.

I caught the 43/44 outside Mellish on Highbury Rd. after the trains stopped running. I also used to catch the 43 from the Square to Trent Bridge on Saturday mornings when I used to cox the school rowing crews. Arkwright St. had an interesting selection of shops back then as did Alfreton Rd. and Mansfield Rd.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Nearly.

You walked down Lister Gate and turned left past C & A into Broad Marsh.

Nearly, you walked past Dunn & Co and turned left into Board Marsh. where we met in the cafe every morning for the worst cup of stewed tea in the world before walking up Drury hill steps to Weekday Cross. 

The last house up the steps was still occupied by an old guy who, when the weather permitted, sat outside the front door on a dining chair, and seemed quite content with life. As a callow youth I didn't really pay him much attention, now i wished i had and heard his story.

The only time I ever went in the Tower was on the way home and before I took my first sip a riot broke out. The large glass globe pendants shattering and the bar shutters slamming don should have told me to leave, but being totally sozzled I stayed and watched until the police arrived threw me out. i was most put out they wouldn't let me take my beer with me.

• Like 2