A travel forum, for those of you who have..

O.K. here's the idea, the holiday season is rapidly approaching, and I thought, apart from mentioning where you've been , why not mention where you're going (Not neccessarily when, as with Nott'm being full of burglars, we don't want to advertise our aboads as being empty)

Then anybody with advise on that area, can offer it straight from the horses mouth so to speak, and you're not getting it from a travel agent (Who, when all is said and done, are just trying to sell you a holiday in the first place.) (any thing with "Agent" in it are all lying barstewards anyway, estate agents , travel agents, football agents etc!!!!!!!)

Anyway first off:-

Sidari in Corfu, anybody been ? what's it like? any where to go fishing?

We've been to Corfu before (2000) crikey 10 years ago , I'm getting old !!!!! and liked it, but it was the other end of the island. Any help would be much appreciated

"any where to go fishing?" I think you'll find it's surrounded by the sea! Sorry, never been to Corfu, only experience of anything Greek was 7 days in Rhodes, should have been 14 but came home early as got the flu or something and used it as excuse. You have been abroad before so you'll know the score, but others may not be aware of the "last minute deal trap" or "allocated on arrival" Be wary of such, after 2 such holiday in Spain and Turkey that were great (the latter in a 5* complex for a pittance) I thought no probs, till we got there! a place called Afandou, some nice hotels etc there but ours wasn't one, just a self catering 2 rooms, miles from the village and no buses, ditto the beach which believe it or not still had trenches and pillbox's from the 2nd world war, Kraut ones as well! My only (and last experience) of anything Greek as also found the natives unfriendly and offputting, Maybe I was just unlucky?

The last holiday we did which was not in the USA was Turkey.

Can recomend it, But avoid Marmaris itself.

This thread reminds me of a ladies Hairdressers...

"Have you been away"

Lets try again:-

Is there any where to go fishing around Sidari, Corfu ??

Mind you it don't really matter as SWMBO has decided she wants to go to Benidorm now (Don't ask !!)

I've not been to Corfu I'm afraid but here's a contribution from my blog to the thread for anyone considering this destination.

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/santorini/

Santorini

I’ve never been to Greece before, never particularly had a hankering too either particularly, apart from something deep down inside wanting to stand on the steps of The Parthenon where my dad had stood all those years ago, smiling with his buddies in their smart white Merchant Navy uniforms. The town of Marathon might have been an honourable exception too, as you will understand I have a little of that in my soul. Melanie however had travelled many of the Greek Isles and suggested one of them as an ideal destination. I really felt on this occasion that Mel should have the autonomy in choosing – especially as I was somewhat modus non operandi of late, (selecting which colour underpants in the morning had become something of a problem). So Santorini it became the resort of Perissa specifically on the smallish volcanic island in the Aegean Sea was to be our home for the next seven days.

perissa%20beach.JPG

Perissa Beach

After a short and uneventful journey we arrived under the merciless sun, alighting from our air-conditioned coach at the apartment. Initially both of us were a little dismayed at the standard of the accommodation which was barely adequate and seemed far worse after a sleepless, hot, noisy and fitful night. Thankfully this was to change. We acquired air-conditioning and shut the outer doors during the next evening and had a much-needed rest. In the meantime we had begun to explore our new surroundings.

The small ‘developing’ resort of Perisso seemed rather empty. There were many taverna’s with gaping spaces in the seating areas and one or two slightly exasperated owners at the doors exhorting passers by to come in ‘yes please’. ‘No thank you’ bade I. No matter we were here for the three r’s – rest, relaxation and reading. In fact Perissa we quickly established had a nice beach, albeit impossible to walk on in bare feet foot due to the black volcanic pebbles absorbing the day’s heat but beautiful nonetheless.

Both Mel and I being very happy to attempt whatever was available in gastronomic produce began to explore the menus of the various tavernas by night. In my case I was looking for the ‘fruits of the sea’ or in general anything that might happily wiggle out of a shell or own eight legs at some point of its evolution. What we did find was that many menus were very similar in content but that were was plenty of variety generally within that.

One of the sights that had become quickly familiar to us was that of stray cats and dogs on the island. You may at this point quite rightly ask what this has to do with eating out but please bear with me as I hope to make it worth your while. On our second taverna visit there was an animal incident more worthy than any of those silly clips that the public send in to those endless home video shows, no this was of Tom and Jerry proportions but infinitely funnier in real life rather than the usual animation. Tucking into our appetisers we noted yet another small but perfectly formed kitty sitting but two feet from our table in some expectancy of a little squid perhaps from some fellow diners. Suddenly from between the gingham-clothed table tops lurked a large but stealthy dog, a canine with great powers of patience – hell this pooch could have stalked buffalo for days. Moving ominously inch by inch within range of the cat’s rear end it waited and waited… Suddenly all hell let lose as a fellow doggy who the kitty had been keeping a nether eye on some yards let out a hoarse bark. At this command the stalker-dog bit the cat’s ass (I throw that expression in as it is my understanding that is a Canadianism – and a good one too if I might add) The cat leapt up in the air in a vertical take-off strategy that would have done a Harrier Jump-Jet proud and let out a loud REEE—OWWWW!!! Before scarpering amidst some bemusement and mirth from fellow revellers. We had almost seen our first kill in Santorini.

A little about the island

As you will note Santorini is of a somewhat distinct shape. The large area of sea you will view in the centre is actually the mouth of a volcano, the faint area of land just visible on this picture remains the active part of the volcano and this is habited, the last blow being in the 1800’s. Startling sunsets are available from particularly the east coast areas of Thira and Oia (at £4.50 per pint actually) to sit on a cliff side café and watch this daily slice of drama. In order to have a look around we hired a small jeep for the weekend. The jeep was an interesting vehicle – not least for the full seven inches of ‘play’ in the gear stick. Obviously this and the complete lack of any symptoms of a suspension system made for an authentic Greek journey, this was how I attempted to rationalise our temporary transport at least.

map_sant.gif

Of interest was the archaeological dig at Akrotiri. The large village made out of mud blocks and dating back to 1500 BC had only comparatively recently been exhumed from the ashes of two huge eruptions by the island’s volcano and is at this time having a roof built over it to protect its precious secrets from the elements. Some say this settlement may even be the lost village of Atlantis, it’s not for me to say but what I can state with confidence is that Akrotiri is a fascinating and absorbing visit and not to be missed if travelling in this part of the world.

akrotira.jpg

Unveiling the past – Akrotira

The ancient capital of Thira was our next destination. Here we could view the lost tribes of Gucci and Prahda dwellers in their natural habitat through the grid of small, thronging streets. I fought of an infinitesimile desire to purchase a flowing white cheesecloth creation a la Demis Roussos and soldiered on through the hot streets of Thira, silver mining with Mel. Please lord I never want to see another jewellery shop ever again.

After the obligatory sunset view we chose a restaurant as even my powers of patience were now being tested by the tempting thought of battering to death the next taverna owner with a pork kebab skewer due to their ahem, ‘persuasive’ tactics of asking you into their restaurants. ‘A very large Amstel draft’ I heard myself ask in some desperation before scouring the laminated menu for further wiggly things. All was well ultimately. Nourished by more fish than a seal could gorge in a week and washed down by copious amounts of Dutch lager I entered the throng yet again with my partner. Suddenly matters became all too much. I spotted the Irish pub I had eyed jealously earlier and bade Mel a fond farewell in her ceaseless quest for more silver. You could tell the pub was Irish as there was an old U2 video playing on the big screen and a picture of a Jack Daniels on the wall? My slight concerns were put to one side as the diminutive American waitress swooshed over to me as if on small casters, ‘what will it be sir?’ Fighting off the urge to ask for a crocodile sandwich – and make it snappy, I ordered a large Irish stout or beer as our American friends cutely like to misname it. The girl on casters came back in an unseemly short period of time carrying a frothing pint with a shamrock inscribed on top and, blessing good old Ireland, I found myself at peace with the world again – particularly American waitresses, or any waitresses in fact.

thira%20sunset.jpg

Sunset from Thira

The rest of the evening did not pass without incident. After a ride home in the jeep with square wheels (or so it seemed) we arrived at the apartment, an entrance that would be accompanied by one of those many random squeals and yelps that Mel often elicits and which I obviously studiously ignore as they would engender me having to ‘do something’. On this occasion it was a cockroach that had taken a liking to our accommodation – hell it probably lived there a long time before us I thought as I went to acquire a broom in my underpants, (NB the broom was in the hall not my underpants I hasten to add) As I went for the sucker using all my wasp fighting skills acquired as a boy growing up in the UK I recalled a friend in Atlanta’s excellent description of the cockroach as a ‘flying armour plated filth machine’ how memorable was that almost Shakespearian phrase I thought as I gave the creature a further sock with the broom.

The roads in Santorini are interesting, some day they may even have cars on them. Easily the single most annoying thing on the island (apart from the taverna owners naturally) were the motor cyclists and scooterists. In my dreams and at the height of my annoyance I thought of rigging up cheese wires across the expanse of the road outside the apartment and ensnaring the island’s youth in this manner. Instead however I consoled myself with the fact that these youngsters had very little chance of gaining sexual intercourse on an evening by owning such modes of transport. Ha! One up to the sports cars, suckers.

Sadly and inexorably our holiday came to end as they all do, unfortunately it was something of an exasperating end due to a six hour delay and no Euros left (a rather unfortunate combination it has to be said) I consoled myself with a nice warm Dutch lager on the plane however.

Goodbye Santorini you were interesting while you lasted. A further recommendation for other future travellers would be to look up the nearby resort to Perissa of Kamari which looked exceedingly attractive upon inspection, though I would not deter anyone from Perissa and its value for money and spacious beach.

Further Santorini information:

http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/santorini/

http://www.santorini.net/home.html

to Benidorm now (Don't ask !!)

Well I've been there a few times , but not for a few years always stayed @ Sol Pelicanos , the last few times noticed an massive influx of stag @ hen parties @ the weekends probably due to the cheap flights ?

Nick, Sol Pelicanos is the Hotel they used for the tv program Benidorm and the bar they used (neptune)was Morgans just over the road. Ryanair do flights for as little as £10 out of season and last year bars were charging 1 euro for a pint. It's no wonder its busy.

Thinking back it was quite an eventful jollies chased & caught a pickpocket who dipped an old fellow pushing a wheelchair , witnessed a drunk getting turned over by some African prostitutes , a young paralytic jock couple with a very small baby in a pram having a domestic in the street about 2am , in turn being forcefully arrested & the baby being shipped of in a different car!

The entertainment in the bars was good too!

The view of the pool from my room think it was 612.

DSCN0545.jpg

By heck , I can see "The Oracle"

Keep 'em coming folks (Reviews that is !!)

Here's a city that been all over out TV screens of late, Vancouver. Very recommended!

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/my-vancouver-1/

Vancouver

Vancouver is one of my very favourite places in the world. Certainly the nicest new-world city of my experience.It’s no coincidence that the city finds itself regularly voted amongst the most attractive cities in the globe. With its enviable situation by the ocean and a mountainous backdrop it’s striking appearance is easily recognised the world over. From the delightful Granville Island, along Robson Street to the jewel in Vancouver’s crown, Stanley Park, it’s truly a spectacular city. Here’s a few corners of it that find favour with me on my visits.

English%20Bay-768170.JPG

Somewhere to stay…

Allow me to let you into one of the cities best-kept little secrets, The Sylvia Hotel on English Bay. Something of an institution in the city, The Sylvia is by no means the most luxurious or well fitted of hotels particularly by North American standards but its great advantage is in its location. Sat a few yards away from the water of English Bay and adjacent the magnificent Stanley Park, Robson Street and downtown is but a short walk away too. Directly across a quiet road outside the hotel are lawns and the beach. The nearby sea wall is ideal for strolling, cycling, rollerblading etc. Especially that holiday morning constitutional which is great for people watching

The hotel has an attractive lounge with large windows ideal for having a ’sundowner’, watching the sun set over the water. Prices at the Sylvia are always competitive, particularly for a downtown location.

slyvia_hotel.jpg

The Sylvia Hotel

www.sylviahotel.com

2239956-Crowds_at_English_Bay_preparing_for_the_fireworks-Vancouver.jpg

English Bay

Somewhere to eat…

The Boat House (seafood)

8331 River Road

604-273-7014

A series of five restaurants and it’s the Richmond version near Vancouver International Airport that I’ll talk of here. The choice in this predominantly seafood restaurant is immense and after several visits I couldn’t fault anything I tried. The atmosphere is lively though there are plenty of quieter areas to get away from the main crowd. An ideal choice when flying into Vancouver and wanting some great food sooner rather than later after your journey.

vancouver13949.jpg

The Boathouse

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/2004/richmond.htm

Tojo’s Restaurant (Japanese)

202 – 777 W. Broadway, Vancouver

(604) 872-8050/51

In something of an unassuming location tucked away in a second floor office building on a commercial street in Vancouver, Tojo’s offers great views over the city from it’s vantage point on W. Broadway.

Perhaps the first thing one notices is the huge collection of signed photographs of well-known visitors the restaurant attracts adorning the walls. Tojo’s is something of an institution and this reflected in it’s clientele. The food is fabulous – this really is the place to try something different. In some reviews I’ve heard of a rather ‘businesslike’ attitude from the staff but this was not my experience. If you ever get to try Japanese food just the once try it here, you’ll be hooked forever!

tojos_right.jpg

Tojo’s

Seasons Hill Top Bistro

Queen Elizabeth Park

A really classy and genteel place to eat yet not in the least uncomfortable or starchy in its atmosphere. Huge plate glass windows offer a memorable panoramic view over the city of Vancouver. The restaurant sits in the beautiful Queen Elizabeth Park which features grounds crafted and landscaped from former quarries. The park is a triumph and so is the restaurant. Slightly expensive by Canadian prices but perhaps still less than one would pay in the UK.

The bistro is know for the summit dinner held there by Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin and their signed letters of thank you for the restaurants hospitality are displayed proudly on the wall. A truly memorable visit for the Vancouver visitor.

Photo_Seasons.jpg

Seasons Hilltop Bistro

http://www.vancouverdine.com/seasons/home.html

Love Vancouver, we've had a cruise that finished there and one that started there, and both times spent time in the City for a few days. Rented bikes to cycle the perimeter of Stanley Park, and did Granville Island, and just wandered the streets of the City, it's wonderful with every street being tree lined.

I've always wanted to visit Vancouver Island, Katy, my partner used to live there. Haven't got around to it so far and I find it difficult to drag myself away from Vancouver! Yes I think things are getting more expensive in Canada these days, I agree.

I'd say the only drawback with Vancouver is the vast amounts of rain there, as befitting a rain forest area. As the locals always say though, there's very little snow and you don't have to shovel rain!

I am off to Vancouver this year to visit my son......appreciate all the comments ....

Not sure if you've been before C. and I'm sure your son will advise you but fire away if there's anything I can help you with. I've spent a lot of time in Vancouver and BC generally. I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Okanagan area where we normally stay, particularly Kelowna which is a around 4/5 hours drive from Vancouver or a half-hour plane ride. If you like hot, sunny weather' wineries, mountains and huge lakes, it's the place for you.

I'll pop a bit of stuff up when I get a minute at the risk of flooding this thread with Canadian stuff!

I agree,Vancouver is a great place, watch out for the crabs though!

2004070441.jpg

For Europe, Oberammargau in the summer is a great place to stay & visit Bavaria/Austria (but not his year, too busy with the Passion Plays)

Oberammergau.jpg

For a short break, Paris is good, hold on to your hats!

Paris.jpg

Perhaps we need to start a Travel Catagory?

I thought I had !!!!!!