Christmas - Already!

It's snowing heavily now in Lerwick, sometimes I wish all this B/S about global warming was true.

Same here Oldace, its been more like a Jan/Feb morning, the dogs were excited cos they thought Winter was here. They just love the snow but I cant ever remember it snowing this much in October before.

Owdtite.

Sunny and in the 70's here, had to change back to shorts an hour or so ago, pretty warm on the roof.

Well we've finally gone and done 'it' . the central heating was ceremonially turned back on at 6.00pm this evening !! Not too bad as I'm sure it went on round about 3rd or 4th of October last year!!

Christmas over here is a strange affair. The malls and big stores sell greetings cards and shops and homes hang up tinsel 'Merry Christmas' banners (some leave them up all year). Everyone knows what a Christmas tree is but you can't get hold of one. Thais don't have our traditional dinner on 25th. They don't really know what Christmas except it's a good excuse for a p1ss up so they look forward to it.

All is not lost for us foreigners though. Expat. restaurants are increasingly offering the full works for about £7 to £10 per head plus drinks. With Germans around you can also get a turkey dinner on 24th at a couple of places too. We now have our own flock of turkeys but haven't tasted one of them yet.

British grub is getting easier to buy, even in the supermarkets. Also there are some British butchers and bakers around Pattaya and Bangkok who make good traditional bacon, sausages, cuts of meat, pies, bread so on. A lot of steak comes from Australia and New Zealand but at premium prices. We can also get the groceries that we took for granted back home - Marmite, Bisto, mushy peas Indian curry and loads of other stuff. My wife has started a business taking orders for all the British foods, having them transported here from the main suppliers own south and then on to retail customers. Thai food is fine but our stomachs crave the food we ate back home from time to time.

On last years Christmas menu was mince pies, so I put on the shopping list mince meat. Turns out all those products sold here state side now only use corn syrup!! As well as being on our banned list on health grounds, it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

So...what to do??? Get the ingredients and make my own, raisens, apple juice, one lemon, one orange, rinds from the two, chopped apple, other dried fruits, brown sugar, spices and last but not least, rum and brandy!!

To say it tasted better than store bought is an exaggeration!

I baked a couple of dozen, best unsalted butter in the pastry!! Didn't last long either!!

I remember mu mum making her own mincemeat. Probably in the run up to Christmas. Is there a way to store it?

Sure, when cooled down, pop into containers and throw them in the freezer, or "can", the same method as vegetables.

I froze my excess.