Victoria Station construction

http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/victoriastation/construction.html

Forgive me if you've all seen this but if you scroll down and click on the numbered pages it shows Victoria Station before and during construction. I found it very interesting

Excellent page, but looks like their early efforts, hence hosted by angelfire.

and says...

"All the photos in the book have come from the S. W. A. Newton collection which now resides at the Leicestershire Record Office under the care of Leicestershire County Council.

Leicestershire Record Office is currently in the process of having the entire collection digitised for inclusion on a new website called "The Last Main Line", which will tell the story of the London Extension through a series of nearly 4000 pictures."

Googling "The Last Main Line" you get...

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/

The above site is searchable like 'picture the past'

And I am sure our readers will find much of interest.

Below is an image from the site, some here will know its location better than me?

L2295.jpg

Brick arch underbridge and culvert at Nottingham

this brick arch underbridge at Nottingham (bridge No. 278) carried the Last Main Line across Valley Road. Passing beneath the two arch culvert in the foreground is Day Brook.

The photo of the valley rd bridge probably took before the line was open? in later years it looked thus NTGM015287.jpg I used to have a copy of that book, gawd knows where it went! am I right in thinking the author Richard Iliffe had a secondhand shop on Hucknall Rd opposite Claremont School? if so I bought an Ostrich egg and a Luftwaffe Incendiary Bomb from him!

• 2 weeks later...

Iliffe and Baguley did about 20 books - there were two on Edwardian Nottingham as well. They were printed by Derry and Sons and were indeed quite expensive. I've got 10 or 12 of them, a few from a cheapo bookshop in Beeston about 10 years ago for about 2 quid each! They had LOADS of them. I think they are still obtainable secondhand for not a lot, have a look on the web.

They did themselves no favours I reckon as they saturated the market by putting out more and more rehashes of the same stuff, printed on nastier paper. I think also that the inflation of the 1970s basically made the whole thing uneconomic, not enough nottstalgia freaks then!

But the original books were blinking well brilliant, if a bit selective - for instance they did a good feature on Nottingham pubs and ale, but nowt I think on Shippos brewery. The feature on Nottingham High School was amazing (er I'm an Old Nottinghamian). I think D J Peters, a teacher at NHS, helped them with the photos for that.

As a result of the books coming out, Richard Iliffe and Wilf Baguley kept being given old documents and other stuff - where are they now? They were also the Nottingham Historical Film Unit. I did see a photo somewhere of them filming off the top of the Castle (towards Castle Boulevard and the old Nottingham engine sheds) - what happened to that film and the others? The Internet does not say and as I don't get to Nottm much now I dunno......

• 4 months later...

Richard Iliffe and Wilf Baguley kept being given old documents and other stuff - where are they now?...

Iliffe passed away many years ago...

Regular broadcaster, on local historical matters, with McCarthy on Radio Nottingham.

Was a long-time patron of the Five Ways, on Valley Road...

Cheers

Robt P.