Fancy a LITTLE camping ???

I think Arizona and California have the last remnants of Route 66. Shame as it spread from Missouri right across into California.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bedford Motor Home,Yorkshire Sep 2012.The only way to go Camping.

First trip of the year - to Florida to thaw out! Took three days to get down here, but it is a lot easier that way when you are towing a house. First location in Florida is Bonita Springs for a week

Well, after getting the dog, we decided the old truck wasn't big enough for us, but that rather than buy a new one we would just look for a good deal - well, I found it at the local Dodge dealer! Sam

Posted Images

!englandflag!

Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri

Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty

You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico

Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona

Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino

..................Somebody just had to do it!!! So it might as well be me.............

The only trouble, most of what was 66 is now I44,

I'd be interested in the original location of R66 through L.A. I have seen the signs on some of the city street.

And they ain particulary large? I am sure it runs through the bottom part of Glendale near the 5 freeway?

I'd imagine when Route66 was a major highway, LA was just a series of small towns Mick, chances are, 66 has been built over.

There's a section of 66 in Arizona, leaves I40 just west of Seligman, goes north sweeps around and rejoins 40 at Kingman.

My guess is at Barstow I15 is built over 66 down to San Berardino. Like I say, not much left of it now.

• 1 month later...

Well, we just got back from our second weekend in the RV. First trip was a couple of weeks ago up to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. Had an amazing weekend, and it only rained at night! Campsite was great with 30A electric service so we could use the A/C if required (only for about 30 mins on Saturday). Discovered I need to get up on the roof and clean out the vent covers before the next trip!

Second trip was to Van Buren State Park near South Haven in western Michigan. Not such good weather this time, foggy and damp all day on Saturday but we did take the bike into South Haven and walked around the shops, looked at the boats, and had lunch. Cold in the evening so we had to turn the furnace on - works great and kept us toasty all night with only about a 2 minute burn every 45 minutes or so - which means we are pretty well insulated!

Sunday was sunny but cold, so we decided to come home early. Cleaning out the vent covers and giving the roof a good wash last week made a huge difference - the skylights now let light in!

Next trip is to visit the in-laws up in Frankfort, Michigan for the week of July 4th. I will be staying the week, but Mary is only doing the long weekend. Then at the end of July we are off to the Black Hills and the Big Horns - which I am really looking forward to. It will be Mary's first trip "out west" and the first time I have been back to Sheridan, Wyoming since I left in 1981. Can't wait for a beer in the "Mint" bar!

Sure does! And the RV is BIGGER than any caravan we ever stayed in! It is like driving a house - and the bedroom is bigger than many bedrooms back in England - certainly bigger than the one I had when growing up!

I must say, we are really having fun with it. Just need to add a bicycle rack to the rear ladder so we can take the bikes with us and we will be in good shape! Haven't figured out a solution to towing the big motorcycle, but hope to have it solved by the end of the week (special trailer)!

The prior owners obviously hardly used it - the original "stickers" were still on lots of things - rear view mirrors, bathroom taps, etc. and with only 12,000 miles, it is like getting a new one at 1/4 price. We are also finding that buying a Winniebago was a good idea - they are clearly better made than some of the competition - and they still build the exact same model but under a different model name!

Sounds like a good deal.

Thats the way to buy em without losing a whole bunch of cash as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Kev, I think you are confusing RV with "Mobile Home" - an RV can actually move around whereas a mobile home cannot! RV's go to campsites, mobile homes go to "parks". RV's can move out of the way of tornadoes, mobile homes attract tornadoes! RV owners can afford the fuel to drive them, mobile home owners can't afford fuel for their 1968 Lincoln!

(With apologies to mobile home dwellers everywhere.)

Forget Barstow every yard has at least 10 scrap cars without wheels

I need to get tires for my Rv this year about $4000 ouch

$4K - WOW! We had to buy new tires too - but they were about $1200 for six of em. I asked how long they will last - the answer was "we don't know, nobody has ever worn any out, they always need replacing because of age first!" My aim is to change that!

• 2 weeks later...

$4K - WOW! We had to buy new tires too - but they were about $1200 for six of em. I asked how long they will last - the answer was "we don't know, nobody has ever worn any out, they always need replacing because of age first!" My aim is to change that!

Mine has a TAG axle that means 8 tires $420 each $60 mounting each + TAX & disposal fee - $4000 & a bit

Mine has almost the exact layout as yours inside

At least i can afford to put fuel in it again last time it was $360 but i did at least take it out 4 times

PS fill up at COSTCO if you are a member

Dont bring it to the UK, to fill it up you will have to hock the tires!

You get up early lol

I had a Thunderbird in the UK in the 70s that used to cause quite a stir when i got petrol

I hear you on the gas - and we are members at both COSTCO and Sam's Club. Around here, Sams is typically a couple of cents cheaper than COSTCO. However, a Citgo and Speedway station in town have been having a gas war - this morning Speedway was at $3.46 and Citgo at $3.44 - both cheaper than Sams!

Tires were $190 each, installed. Firestone LT tires on 15" rims - I suspect your coach is bigger and uses heavy truck tires. Off to northern Michigan next Friday for a week, then to South Dakota and Wyoming at the end of July!

Our Sams dosnt sell gas ,It looks like they are not doing too good as one nearby has closed & our local is giving away memberships & still the parking lot is empty,

There is a Walmart within 300ft that sells the same stuff cheaper it dosnt make sense to pay a membership.

Our gas price is $3.69 for regular a bit more than yours

I was going to take it to the NASCAR race this weekend at Ifninion but decided to go boating instead ,I dont like sitting in traffic for hours