Forest Mills, Radford Baths & Washhouse, Nottingham

We lived next door to Hill Farm, the last bungalow on Musters Rd. Last time we went to Langar, couldn't believe all the houses they put on the farm land.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few days ago I went past the site, and here's a few photos which update those of taxiray a few months ago Radford Baths as they are now A bit further down the road Top end of Highurst Stree

Here are a couple of shots taken inside Radford Baths in, I think, 1976

Bit of an update from when I went past the area a few days ago Radford Baths are gradually disappearing Forest Mill used to be here Junction of Alfreton Road/Boden Street Highurst Court pr

Posted Images

You are right.

I have seen a lot of changes over the years, when I was a kid it all the houses were along, Main street, Earl Howe Cresent, Church Lane, and a few along Cropwell Road, and Musters Road was just a muddy lane.

Bit of an update from when I went past the area a few days ago

radford2.jpg

Radford Baths are gradually disappearing

radford4.jpg

Forest Mill used to be here

radford5.jpg

Junction of Alfreton Road/Boden Street

radford3x.jpg

Highurst Court preparing for the chop

radford6.jpg

Used to be somebody's living room and ceiling

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

And another update. Most of it has gone now.

This is where the Baths used to be, behind the steel fence.

bath1-2.jpg

And this is where Highurst Court used to be.

bath4-1.jpg

For some reason, the ugly building at the top of Highurst Street is still there.

bath2-2.jpg

The gap is where Forest Mills used to be.

bath6-1.jpg

Where the Baths were, and the rear of the ugly building.

bath5-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

My dad was a well known swimmer and coach with the Radford Swimming Club. I remember going there on Friday nights (I think). His name was Les Newberry. Does anyone remember him?

If you find anyone that remembers him please ask if they also remember Mick Lyons, who worked as an attendant there around 1970.

Yes, the 'Ten Bob Tourist' was a common theme for Poms (That's what anyone from England was called in them days) to either go to Victoria, Adelaide or New Zealand. Unusual for them to settle in West Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales or Queensland.

Specifically on this topic, I recall that I 'volunteered' to get my certificate through school at the Radford Baths. I almost drowned on my first 'lesson'. Eventually got there though.

Problem in wearing glasses in those days, as soon as you walked into the pool area, couldn't see a thing as the glasses fogged up...

• 2 years later...

An unexpected bump......

A couple of days ago, this thread was linked by someone (not me) on the Nottingham Facebook page.

Ever since then, there have always been at least half a dozen "guests' viewing it. Hopefully it might lead them to other threads, so we may find a lot of lurkers and new members in the next few days.

So to anyone from Facebook reading this.....we know how you got here :cool:

• Upvote 1