mick2me

Sign of Four Magic Emporium, Derby Rd

IAN123.    350

Couple of things..Rog mentioned the bloke in the joke/ trick shop...yes he and the wife were weird!

He was tall with a white moustache. A cross between Christopher Lee and Michael Foot.

Marked cards- those looped chrome triangles things.fake fags.  electric shock hand shake device.

I asked him about his xray specs...were they better than the ones from Bazooza Joe?

He slipped a pair on my face which resembled two 'Virtigo Swirl ' albums.

Could see nothing i said.".and i can see thru'you" was his retort...no matter how many venues it moved too-never gave him my patronage.

Cliffs pic on jonabs post shows the bottom end of Derby Rd.

Under the Anchor Butter poster...

Barton boast parking and bus trips...was there a depot there...long before Mount St?

Cliff Ton    5,982
33 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Cliffs pic on jonabs post shows the bottom end of Derby Rd.

Under the Anchor Butter poster...  Barton boast parking and bus trips...was there a depot there...long before Mount St?

Seems to have been a petrol station, with posters on the wall. Note also the ".....Little John" restaurant on the left, which has been mentioned in another thread somewhere.

yJgOv3Y.jpg

• Like 1

IAN123.    350

Thanks Cliff!..i know i'm a bit of an anorak..but it's good to see things i never registered as a child..like the mock tudor building behind halls coaches..is the Playhouse? The Three Horse shoes was an irish haunt as was The Rose & Thistle across the road near the co op.

Many an actor/ performer must have nipped in sign of four for grease paint.