Were you at Berridge?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Here is a list of those shown in the photo with Mr Gibby:

Back row L to R: Sydney Chandler, unknown, Richard Jones, ? Eccles, Tony Goodwin, Elizabeth Hallam, Roger Green, Josephine Jordan, Malcolm ?, Derek Lloyd, Tommy Smedley, unknown.

Next row: Brenda Barnes, Kenneth Merritt, Kathleen Sheeran, Tony Grainger, Susan Hannigan, unknown, Brenda Cooksley, Stephen Cockram. Elizabeth Heason, unknown, Sheila Bond-Lindsay, Tony Spencer, Robert Taylor.

Next row: ? Freeman, unknown, unknown, Susan Wyer, Derek Winstanley, Carolyn Pike, ? Goodwin, Valerie ?, unknown, Glenys Williams, John Sutton, Marilyn Towle, Neil York, Susan Smith, David Sentance, Caroline Lee.

Front row: unknown, Janet Stamper, ? Gough*, Janice Rodway, Michael Allport, unknown, unknown, Sybil Applebaum, unknown, ? Gough*.

* Gough twins were David and John.

Thanks to Kathleen and Carole Sheeran for providing the photo, plus names, and to the computer wizardry of Letsavagoo for tidying it up. Photo thought to be around 1958/9

Just realised Jim was the eldest, b 1946. He passed away aged 63. Billy was 66 I do believe. Their half brother Les was also in his 60's when he passed away. 

1953 and the celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II's coronation. The cobbles of Grundy Street. All these children were Berridge pupils.

Back row L to R: Paul Burridge, Kenny Monks, Trevor Davys and John Kirton.

Front row L to R: Kathleen Sheeran, Maureen Taylor, Janet Kirton, Stephanie Corbett and Carole Sheeran.

Coronation Day 1953 was extremely wet, I've been told. It was before my time. These children were on their way to a celebration at Carrington Lido where perhaps they got even wetter?

I'm struck by the little girls' footwear. Beautifully whitened sandals and ankle socks. Paper hats for everyone. The coach was waiting to take them...and others... for a trip they would never forget.

Thanks to Carole and Kathleen Sheeran for the photo and Letsavagoo for giving it a wash and

brush up!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to Letsavagoo for posting this interesting photo from around 1954.  An old classmate of mine had two much older brothers at Berridge and the younger of the two sent her a couple of his old photos. This photo shows the penultimate year for those born in 1944/5. My friend's brother Markham (Mark) Handfield is on the front row, third from the left.  We are still compiling a list of names and I'll post these shortly.  This photo is taken at a strange angle in what looks like a corner of the hall. 

12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My friend's brother Markham (Mark) Handfield is on the front row, third from the left.  

It's an unusual name, and I'm pretty certain I know him. Is/was he a graphic designer ?  He was my boss at a place I worked in the late 1970s.

I don't know, CT, but I will ask his sister and advise you of the answer. It is a pretty unusual name.

Having checked the birth records, I can't find anyone else with that name, so you're almost certainly correct.

Another from Berridge sourced by Jill who I’m posting it for. It shows the stage in the upper hall. This is the only picture showing the stage I’ve ever seen. I remember playing a ‘street beggar’ in the Christmas pantomime Aladdin in 1964 I beleive. My future and still wife Jane Flint was in the same production as a ‘jewel dancer’. I remember watching her from the wings. I wonder when the stage was removed.

Jill will comment.

IMG-7964.jpg

This dates from 1956. It is, supposedly, Berridge Senior Boys' School. I've asked PP to look at it as I'm not sure about the blazer badges. Some look like the Berridge badges whilst others look different. It's a concert of some kind, clearly.  The stage may be the one Letsavagoo remembers from the upper hall. I do remember it vaguely, as I cavorted about on it in the first year juniors wearing my pink party frock, pink satin ballet shoes and performing my Sugar Plum Fairy dance at Christmas. I also recall the headmaster, Jack Baugh, speaking to us in assembly from an elevated position at that end of the hall.  However, so many alterations were taking place at Berridge in those years that we were constantly being shuffled around classrooms and halls to enable the builders to do their work. They obviously removed the stage as part of those alterations.

Markham (Mark) Handfield also appears on this photo. Second row back,  second from the right, sporting a Berridge blazer and singing heartily.

Yes. CT, his sister confirms that he was in graphic design.  He turned 79 at the beginning of this week.

@Jill Sparrow we (almost) have something in common even though I didn’t go to Berridge….

When  I was about 13 I was the Fairy Godmother in the French production of Cendrillon’ (Cinderella) at C le W.  I danced in a white tutu and block toe ballet shoes to the Sugar Plum Fairy.

(I’ve still got the ballet shoes!)

It’s sad to see that Carlton le Willows, which once was a fine grammar school, was rated ‘inadequate’ at its last inspection. The same thing happened to Mellish when it became a comprehensive. The fine buildings of Henry Mellish have since been demolished. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, MargieH said:

danced in a white tutu and block toe ballet shoes to the Sugar Plum Fairy.

(I’ve still got the ballet shoes!)

Don't try dancing in them now! I still have some blocks but no longer have the strength in my legs to do Pointe work. Old age!

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Don't try dancing in them now! I still have some blocks but no longer have the strength in my legs to do Pointe work. Old age!

Your'e not old, your'e only playing at it. You have at least another 16 years to go. :cheers:

• Upvote 1