Donald Nielson dead

The 'Black Panther' has died in hospital.This serial killer and post office robber was best known for the death of Leslie Whittle who he kidnapped.

A clever and devious man he was captured armed with a shotgun outside a Rainworth chip shop by two... lucky to be alive.. coppers...and the help of some local miners.

His very first burglary was at a post office on Gordon Road Nottingham.It was reckoned his success at avoiding capture for so long was that he didn't use a getaway vehicle,so road blocks didn't work....he would park many miles away and then escape the area on foot across country.

Apart from the cops that got him.One of the worst cases of police incompetence ever..They searched the park where Leslie was hidden in a drain, and found nothing.The public (including some kids) found several pieces of evidence over the next week that the police had missed,leading to the discovery of her body.She might be alive today if they had done their job properly.

I have no accurate recollection of exactly where the Black Panther was caught and would bow to greater knowledge. Some of these reports suggest it was Rainworth, I'd be interested to know.

'In 1975 killer Donald Neilson (the Black Panther) was caught by police officers helped by locals at the chip shop on Southwell Road East in the village.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainworth

'White saw the gun drop a few inches and realised this was his chance; he pushed the gun forwards and Mackenzie stamped on the brake. They screeched to a halt outside The Junction Chip Shop in Rainworth. The gun went off, grazing White's hand. MacKenzie fell out of the driver's seat, banging his head on the road. He staggered to his feet and ran towards the fish and chip shop screaming for help. Two men, Roy Morris and Keith Wood, ran from the queue outside the chip shop and helped overpower Neilson.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Neilson

'The action took place outside a chip shop in the village of Blidworth. Customers rushed to help the officers subdue and handcuff him.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/shropshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8365000/8365884.stm

'On December 11, 1975, police officer Stuart Mackenzie had been in his patrol car with colleague Tony White in Mansfield Woodhouse, when they stopped Neilson during routine checks.

Neilson then held the two constables at gunpoint, forcing them to drive him to Blidworth.

They managed to overpower Neilson – stopping the car outside The Junction fish and chip shop in Rainworth – where customers came out to help to disarm him..

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Black-Panther-dies-life-prison/story-14189315-detail/story.html

'As the panda car drove into Rainworth, one of the officers lunged for the shotgun as his colleague slammed on the brakes. The gun went off as the car stopped outside a local chip shop. Two civilians came to the aid of the policemen, battering Neilson into submission.'

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Bygones-Notorious-Notts-crimes-new-book/story-12206599-detail/story.html

Ain't that wierd? I used to go in that chippy a couple of times a week for 4 years and they always insisted it was there where he was caught (And given the good kicking by the colliers!) I heard it from a couple of different (And at separate times too) Mansfield Woodhouse residents , one of whom was (alledgedly) related to one of the miners too !!

How these urban legends start Lord only knows..But Neilson was spotted near Woodhouse and detained outside the 'Junction' chippie in Rainworth...pictured.

50f9b848.jpg

It's situated on the Y junction at Rainworth...that was the point where the cop said "Which way?" and Neilson being distracted was overcome after nearly blowing the cops ear off in the car. By the way if ever you're passing...try that chippie...the fish n chips are spot on...

Interesting........ the whole subject of people seeing something written down and then assuming it is accurate and true.

Not just this topic but probably many others as well, you could find different "facts" everywhere you look.

There's an assumption that if something falls into the category of....."I read it in the paper/saw it on the telly/it says so on Wikipedia/it was on the BBC website/a bloke in the local says..." then it must be true.

So maybe Elvis isn't dead; he's living in Mansfield Woodhouse (or Rainworth) with Shergar in his back garden. The press got it wrong.

Just been on to my mate (Who originally told me about that chippy) He says that's what he was told at the the time , but after I dug a bit further , he says "Oh hang on, that may have been where he was first caught by the coppers before he kidnapped them" And it was just a coincidence that it was outside another chippy where he was finally over powered.

Appologies allround for the miss leading info I have dealt out !!

no2 no2

No, no assumption that Wiki etc. comprises the 'truth' here. Just someone's account of the 'truth'.

Totally agree. Wiki is definitely useful and I've used it hundreds of times, but whenever I come across one of those pages which has the message across the top about "this topic needs verification...it has been written like a press release...citations needed...etc etc" I wonder how many people pay attention to that bit.

('Cause the Elvis page makes no reference to Rainworth)

I just got back from the supermarket and I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis there!

That Elvis page is in need of an update ;)

Too many people I would say. I certainly take your point about taking things at face value

I think Wiki is much maligned (and often quite rightly so) but I agree it has it's uses. As a researcher I've used it many times myself - but only as a very basic introduction to a subject or concept. It has little academic rigour further than that.

As for the general media, if they stated it was night time I'd go outside to check the sun had gone down before I believed them.

Everyone does eventually !! Some just not soon enough. Him , Yorkshire Ripper an Ian Huntley spring to mind !

Bradys still going unfortunately (But to be fair to him (If that were any where near possible) he has been trying to kill himself for nigh on 20 years now !!)

For the record:

Ref' the 2 men who assisted the police, Keith Wood (now deceased) wasn't a miner, but an insulation contracts Supervisor for Kitsons Insulations, I worked for him in the 60's.

Keith was a black belt Karate expert, & never boasted about his part in the capture of Nielsen.