Hi everybody,

last october we had a reunion of the 48th nottingham(highbury school)scout groupwith ex members attending from 40 plus years ago the founder of the group was Ken Jones who at the time was a teacher at Highbury school.

we are hoping to organise another reunion in the new year and would like more members to attend ,

i will try and post a picture of the group from 40 years ago at walesby

I went to Walesby with Notts 28th, back in 1964/65, & remember the Highbury Vale scouts (recall one scout named Dastaweicz(sic)??) also being there, big jamboree type of get together. All the usual scout stuff, singing around the campfire etc...........slept in huge Bell Tents, feet towards the centre. Great days!!

I understand Walesby's still a huge scout camping venue.............

hi paulus

yes walesby is still a scout camp although part of it is now a caravan site.

I also was at that camp you went to and also the one in 1980 where by chance i was a guest of the 28th as a thank you for taking them through their master at arms badge i had a wonderful week with them.

will now try to upload photos but just keep getting error messages saying file to big

Hi greenviking,

Looking back over the years, i belonged to the 94th group, our H.q was at The Meadow Boys Cub.

near Trent Bridge School, I'm going back to 1952/3. great time in my life, camping and all types of activities.

one camp springs to mind, when we went to Kingston-on soar, not to faraway, we all got in the back of this open

back Bedford truck, all singing our heart out, When we got there ,some one had left a rope attached to a branch

of a tree, which over hung the river, so you can see what we were doing most of the time,great summers then.

a good time for youngsters.

Dennis.

4th Carlton cubs and scouts here. Many camps at Walesby , Oxton and I remember we went to Kingsdown in Kent one year

try to upload photos but just keep getting error messages saying file to big

Create an account at Photobucket, upload there and use paste the IMG link into your posts.

Allows big images to be shown.

Some Nottingham Scouts used to camp in this field on Kingston Road Kegworth every year some fifty years ago...and I spent half my childhood at the top of that conker tree collecting engine numbers off the rail line at the back of the camera...dunno why ...but it seemed like a good idea at the time... :rolleyes: In those days those ugly damned pylons weren't there.

5062c00c.jpg

wow thanks to all who have commented on my post i never thought that so many would reply just shows what a intimate organisation the scouts are. many of my memories are of walesby but also places like broadstone warren in sussex. yorkshire .wales. scotland ,also kanderstag in switzerland and sarkplus loads of private sites eg farms mainly.

thanks mick for that tip about photobucket will give it a try

Re' Walesby: As the 28th (St Teresa's, Aspley) was a Catholic Troop, I recall at Walesby there was a circular 'outdoor chapel' in the woods, surounde by a privet/bramble hedge, it gave Sunday mass & communion a very special feeling to it, probably being so close to nature.

After the service we'd head off down to the stream for team/troop games against other scout troops, usually involving swings acoss the river (brook!!), what a terrific time for us lads, hooligan behaviour encouraged by adults.

In the evening we'd sing songs around the campfire, led by 'Skip, however the older scouts would sneak off to the local pub in Walesby village.................coming back after an hour or two, singing their own (very different) versions of scouting favourites!! !rotfl! hope this emoticon works this time!!

The 'Brook ' that runs through Walesby Forest Scout Camp is the River Maun , the same one that gives Mansfield it's name.

We too used that 'Chapel' we were 4th Carlton (St Pauls own) affiliated to St Pauls C of E parish church on Carlton Hill.

thanks mick for help with photos i hope i've done it right.

yes the brook is the river maun they now have a swimming pool there and a climbing wall and the chapel last time i went had been moved to whitewater wood which is on the left just past the providor. As i said the 28th is just round the corner from where i now live which is why i taught them martial arts for their master at arms badge

• 2 years later...

I was in St Judes Scout Troop on Woodborough Rd. Not sure but think that it was 115th ?

Great times and wonderful camps at Walesby as well as in Derbyshire.

Some of the guys in our Troop went on to other things such as riding scooters and going to The Dungeon etc.