I've read that part of the old town wall was discovered in Victorian days,one of the gates being at Chapel Bar.

In the sixties when they were building Maid Marian Way they exposed a large section that was then reburied.

These pictures show a group of 'dignitaries' walking on the wall.In picture one I can make out the Co-op in the background.

I was just wondering if the old wall is under a road surface or they put buildings on top? It's difficult to tell because surrounding buildings in the pics may have been demolished too...What do you think?

abe47a83.jpgefee6774.jpg

• Upvote 1

The wall looks asif it could be part of a building? but i wonder what... Although, theres meant to be quite a few underground 'villages' beniethe nottingham! I cant think where it could of been though.. interesting none the less!

The first picture is the bottom end of Park Row, now buried under an office block; the second is presumably another section of the same site.

Here's another from what is presumably the same dig. Described as being 1965 and on Park Row (and you can see the rear of the Odeon in the background). The book says that any artefacts discovered were taken to the Castle Museum and the ground was then infilled.

wall-2.jpg

Here's a posted reply on Flickr that I've recieved from the nice bloke who mg1200 posted the link to

Sure, no problem. It's at the top end of Maid Marian Way in the building complex that houses the Holiday Inn Express and can be viewed through a large window from the street. There's some nice interpretation information as well. Here's a link to a short blog post I wrote about it: spottingthegorilla.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/h idden-history/

Although I can't get his link to work !!

Edit , cracked it

www.spottingthegorilla.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/hidden-history/

I just love that first picture Cliff Ton, of the 'Biddy' clutching onto her hand bag whilst still working .

Fascinating photograph at the top; the kind that makes you want to keep returning to it, see if you can spot anything else.

As for the biddy she could have been a member of the general public wanting to take a view at what was going off; wouldn't anybody be interested in something as wonderful as this?

Thank you for that poohbear.

I would have known Miss Walker. On leaving school early 1960's I became a library assistant with Nottingham Public Libraries. Although I was based at Bilborough Library, every Monday I had to go to the Central Library to help in the Archive Department. Lovely memories.

• 4 years later...

What a fascinating topic,if I went in the Holiday Inn would I be able to see it without needing to ask,just where is it located.

First time I've heard of Market wall.

There are two theories about why the wall existed.

One is that it was to keep the livestock away from the other stalls; the other is that it was to define a "French" side of the market separate from the "English" side of the market (this was not long after 1066 and all that).