Looks like it needed it too....

Old 'Framework knitters' windows at the top...typical Victorian build in and around Nottingham.Must've still been dark in there though facing North/N.West.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread made quite a few mentions of the Empire Cafe, but so far there hadn't been any photos of it. Now I've found this - where it appears to be having a repaint

It shall always remain the "Empire" café to me.

Humber Snipe circa mid 40s onwards????

Thanks for the picture Cliff Ton! See the small window behind the MKI Cortina? I used to sit inside just there or thereabouts.

ISTR Leather seats and walnut veneer finish in what appears to have been an upmarket Oxford/Cambridge. The Princess was a similar shape too.

Had a Wolseley 1500 for a couple of years. (The more rounded shaped one). Real leather seats and walnut fascia as you say. Obviously, they didn't do reclining seats in them days, but I have never had a care with such comfortable seats ever since. You could drive all day in it and still not feel stiff, cramped or backache.

Cortina MKI rear insignia taken from a scrap car in a Dunkirk scrapyard in the mid70s:

IMG_3533.JPG?gl=GB

The above photo is a my Mum in Grainger St. and behind her is my Dads car. I think it's a Wolseley but does anyone know what type it is?

Humber Snipe circa mid 40s onwards????

v90_1f_gall9.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes, ha ha and it looks like my Mum was wearing a fur coat too. I was told recently that we were the only ones on the street to own a car. My Dad was always in work at Railway And General which was opposite Grainger Street on Meadow Lane and then on the City Transport. My Mum worked in the CO-OP canteen on Meadow Lane so there was always money coming in. The photo was taken in 1957 so things had improved quite a lot since WW2.

Does anyone remember getting dosed with a tablespoon of Brimstone and Treacle when they were kids? I enjoyed the taste but could never remember what it was for.... maybe to ward of the winter colds, evil spirits or the worms!

According to this website it was a cure for spots. http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/cures_remedies.htm

I like the cure for 'sore breasts' - Make a small heart shaped amulet from some lead taken from the frames of church windows.

Or : To cure thrush in a child, take the head of a live duck and place it in the child's mouth ensuring the child inhales the duck's breath. Having done so, the 8th psalm must be read over the child three times a day, three days a week for the following three weeks.