• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia was never devised as an 'age' specific forum, I am sure younger members of the site will miss things or not like changes of a recent nature.

Echo the sentiment re Trinity Square, it's a disaster. http://timgarrattnottingham.co.uk/2009/12/30/a-right-mess-at-trinity-square/ Moulin Rouge - how it was:

I'm not a big fan of the programme, but Top Gear did a thing about Reliant Robins and it's one of their funnier items

I was once warned to stay away from the Copa Cabana Club in Keywest!

Took a walk past to see what it was all about.

Men in Leathers, complete with Lederhosen, and peaked leather caps with chains!

What's that all abaaht? Not like skeggy at all!

I used to repair the bodywork on the Reliants when i had my bodyshop in Cinderhill

I would do the work for Crown motors of Bullwell the dealer also they were agents for NSU

Actually just put my bodywork skills to the test this weekend as someone just ran into the back of my motorhome

Cliff ton: That Reliant video brought tears to my eyes! I quite literally laughed 'til I stopped whilst watching it. Why? Because I had a Reliant too and I know exactly what he means.

It was a snowy day during deep winter in the early 1970s as I drove from Nottingham to the Yorkshire coast in my Reliant Supervan III carrying Wife, brother and two children. On the A64 in Yorkshire the weather became so bad that I decided to turn back. After just a couple of minutes I saw a large lump of frozen gubbins that had fallen from a lorry wheel arch onto the road. "I'll just turn and avoid that lump" I thought, Nope, nothing happens when you turn a reliant steering wheel on ice. One wheel struck the frozen lump and the van performed a near-perfect somersault and slid merrily down the road for about fifteen yards, spilling out all the stuff on its way. When it came to a halt, on its back, I noticed petrol all over the place - that tank hose had come adrift as the side flexed when the windscreen popped out and the roof split. Everyone bar me got out quickly and there I was, hanging upside down in my safety belt - the only person wearing one at the time. The engine was screaming and I suddenly thought....If this goes bang that's me 'Gone for a Burton' as it were. Anyway, my brother returned to the van and managed to turn the key off and then set about releasing me from the seatbelt. Reliant owners, as stated in the video clip, always carry tools and stuff, so after a cup of tea in a nearby café we stood the thing back on its wheels and with a mixture of electrical adhesive tape and string, cobbled it back together and drove home to Nottingham - slowly. It took me a couple of weeks to fix the damage but after drilling holes in the spilt roof and broken window arch I managed to tie it all together with cableform nylon and fibreglass it back into shape. A lick of paint and it was ready for another roll. They call it the Reliant rollers club (RR) and I became a member that snowy day in Yorkshire. That was not the only occasion I rolled my Reliant but it was the most spectacular. And that's how it became the "Plastic Nasty".

• Upvote 1

Would qualify for the most ugliest design in a (car????); Sorry Compo! ;)

As I said "Plastic Nasty"; you've got to be :crazy: to drive one.

Read your story Compo; at least you get a story, owning one of these luxury automobiles! :crazy:

I laughed so much at the Jeremy Clarkson video Cliff Ton put on . . .

Glad you've taken the insults in a light hearted fashion. :smile:

Insults! One learns to take insults when one drives these plastic nasty things. The screen 'names' Plastic & Nasty won me many titters from the general public. Furthermore, after repairing it with tape and fibreglass filler I sold it for a decent price - to someone who had seen it in its wrecked condition. There were three of us who had Reliants at Plessey when I worked there. Every one of us had rolled them at some time or other. One even had the front wheel & frame collapse whilst trying to negotiate a roundabout - Brilliant!

A chap I know had a 3 wheeler and him and his wife were driving along the Ring Road when a lorry overtook them. They came together and the lorries wheel nuts cut holes all down the side of his motor. I tried not to but I laughed my head off as he was telling me about it.

funny thing is i saw one today just come of the ring road and was going up nottingham rd

knew quite a few bikers who had them as first cars when they had kids as they did not have to take a test to drive one remember ashleys too.

You rich buggers with your fancy cars all i could afford was a Bond 3 wheeler with the engine i had to kick start

197cc 2stroke

Did manage to get 7 people in it till we rolled over near Jacks Cafe

WE HAD BIKES AND COMBOES UNTIL OUR ELDEST SON WAS BORN 1976 THEN HAD TO SELL THE VELLO WE HAD AT THE TIME BROUGHT FROM PHIL AND AUDREY JUST AFTER PIGGY CAME OUT THE AIRFORCE IN 1974 .

WE BROUGH OUR FIRST CAR IN 1984 AFTER PIGGY PASSED HIS CAR TEST A SECOND HAND FORD ESCOURT ESTATE WE DID SOME MILES IN THAT CAR HAD IT ABOUT 6 YEARS BEFOR WE SOLD IT AND BROUGH ANOTHER SECOND HAND CAR NEVER HAD THE MONEY TO BUY A NEW ONE. NOWGOT A DISSABILLITY CAR HAD IT 2 AND A HALF YEARS NOW DUE TO GET A NEW ONE IN SEPTEMBERHAVENT MADE UP OUR MINDS WHAT TO HAVE YET BUT WILL PROBLY BE ANOTHER VAUXALL ZAFAIRA AS ALTHOUGH ITS NOT AS POWERFULL AS SOME GOOD SIZE FOR PIGGY TO GET HIM AND THE TWO OLD GUYS HETAKES FISHING IN PLUSS ALL THERE GEAR IN COMFORT ONE IS 92 YEARS OLD AND THE OTHER IS TURNED 80 SO NEED A BIT OF COMFORT AFTER A DAYS FISHING.