Yes, I think they've tried to 'gentrify' Gunthorpe like they have so many places and in some ways what was there is missed. I'm not sure how the 'old' place with a couple of pubs and a tea room would survive in these days of strictly enforced laws on drink-driving (not early morning anglers!)

I like the new things that have cropped up around there but what I don't enjoy are the inevitable crowds that follow, especially in good weather. I went down there in that good weather week recently and for the first time ever could find not a single place to park anywhere. Gave up and went for a walk at Woodborough instead, much more enjoyable away from the hoards. Can't have it both ways I guess. What's ironic is that strollers who park up at Gunthorpe still tend to only walk to the gate at the lock and back (as if further access is not permitted!) and the busy but of grass is the couple of hundred yards beyond the weir.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long ago was that MG , and do you remember how much it cost by any chance?

I remember my dad saying that someone had to die to let you in , as the club was that popular and the waters that exclusive , that nobody left !! (IMMSC it was rather expensive back then too , I think it was a fiver in 1966 but I was still paying that in around 1980 !!

When it was opened to the general public (In around 1990) it was still only £7.00 !

Sorry I dont remember how much it cost just how easy it was once those two guys signed my application, would have been 66/67 if I was in the pub with dad, kept it on untill around 72 when I moved from Clifton to the Notts Derby border, didn't have any transport back then just two kids and a mortgage so used to fish the Codnor park and Butterley res at Ripley. Will always remember the stretch of the soar they had at Kingston upon when I had the lambo.

DAVE STILL FISHES WITH THE OLDEST CLUB IN NOTTINGHAM THOUGH THERE ARE ONLY THREE MEMBERS LEFT AND DAVE IS THE YOUNGEST AT ALMOST 64 YEARS OLD THE KING OF THE FRENCH FORMED IN 1904 AND WHILE ARTHUR DRAYCOTT IS STILL ABLE TO GO AND FISH THEY WILL CONTINUE WITH THE KEEPING THE MAME GOING ARTHUR WILL BE 93 IN AUGUST AND HAS BEEN A MEMBER OF THIS CLUB SINCE 1945 A CRACKING LITTLE ANGLER EVEN NOW DESPITE HAVING ONLY PERIFIAL VISION AND BEING REGISTERED BLIND , HIS FATHER AND GRAND FATHER WERE ALSO MEMBERS OF THIS CLUB .

FORGOT TO SAY THEY USED TO HOLD THE FISHING RITES FROM GUNTHORPE LOCK DOWN STREAM TWO FIELDS TILL THEY SOLD IT TO THE PISCATORIAL CLUB BUT RESERVED THE RITE TO FISH THREE MATCHES A YEAR ON THIS WATER FOR QUITE A LONG TIME

Nobody has mentioned the gravel pits at the back of Plessey in Beeston.

Also the lake at Wollaton park.

I remember seing a guy getting dragged around that lake in a small boat by what must have been a big pike.

I caught some good bream and tench there many years ago.

Baz :ninja:

I used to work art Plessey and during the works holidays I used to volunteer for dirty work so that I could take alternative hols. One of the jobs I used to do was to clean out the stream & ditch into which Plessey's grey water was discharged. It ran alongside the pits and often contained a chub or two.

There was a fishing programme on one of the repeat channels last night. They talked about the days when big matches were won by "Bleak bashers" with bags of 30 - 40lbs of bleak in one session. I had forgotten all about the humble bleak but now the memory has been jogged I recall disputes over the beak bashing Vs general coarse fishing in competitions.

Are there still bleak in the Trent I wonder?

dave just brought his last week i think it was 22pounds could have been a bit moremaybe 26pounds for the year age 12 to 65 years consesions for over 65stold dave not to buy his till after 24th of aprill next year and he will get it a bit cheaper think its about 16 or 18 pounds. dave is downstairs i check with him later and tell you for certain.

I 'forgot' about licences when ever I've fished in Florida !! Mind you that is one helluva big coast line for them to look aout for little old me !

dave just told me his new fishing licence 27 pounds for the year march to march