The women that have shared my life have all been in the habit of discarding my "Treasures". It's been one hard fight to keep owt.

Nah then gang, hands up those who collected these at one time or another. Hands up those who exchanged them for a cheap gift instead of saving up for that Mini or similar <g>

scan0002.jpg?gl=GB

You could cash the Players ones in for cash. My memory goes back to when my Dad worked at the number 4 factory on Radford Boulevarde. A mate of his, who worked 'on the bins' would brig stacks of them for Dad to cash in for him.

I can't remember the exact redemption value.

Talking of Players (I should have a No.6 coupon around somewhere) Hands up all those who smoked No.10 because they couldn't afford No.6 or anything better? My hand is up.

Beefsteak: your dad may have known my auntie, she worked at that factory too.

Wasnt the Players gift shop on Hartley Road in the old Cinema?

The one that is now a Carpet Store.

Images somewhere here?

Some years ago I worked at a well-known Nottingham printers who long time had printed cigarette vouchers by the millions for companies like Imperial Tobacco etc.The method of printing entailed setting hundreds of vouchers per single sheet of card roughly A1 size (eight times the size of A4). These would be stacked on wooden pallets before eventually being guillotined down into single vouchers that fitted into the cigarette packets.

A couple of bright sparks actually had the idea of stealing these full-size sheets in order to try and cash them in as they were, pre-guillotined! I don't remember the details but I understand the police were called instantly and they were detained.

Probably size Mick....LOL

Number 6's were cheap.

I learned how useless I was at glass cutting with ciggie coupons. We cashed a load of coupons in for a Pifco window fan when we lived at Clifton.

My next door neighbour donated a few old panes of glass for the experiment. I tried and tried to cut a circle out of the glass.

Gave up and went to a glass cutter who took all of five minutes while I waited!

I still can't cut glass today without breaking it.....

My hands up too Compo !!

Sovereign were the same price as Number 10

Mick2me: No.6 were small fags; No.10 were tiny fags. Most people smoked Embassy tipped in the 60s (or so I read) but No.6 became almost as popular. When taxes kept rising Player's introduced the smaller No.10 for folk like me who couldn't afford to smoke <g>

In the early 70s I used to go to the cricket ground at Trent Bridge to watch the John Player League games. Player's girls used to walk around the ground giving away Players JPS fags (King size in a black pack). Great!

Kensitas were amongst the first fags with coupons in the fifties.Players introduced Navy Blue...but the name didn't catch on,so No.6 were introduced.

Thanks Cliff

Not being a smoker wehat was the difference between No6 & No10?

No 6's made your throat sore, No 10's made you throat sore & your eyes water, had to drag on 'em so hard, yer shot flap vanished up yer as***le

Number 6 were the most popular fags in the late 60s (according to my 1968 copy of the Guinness Book of Records) Number 6 King size took over in the early/mid 70s. I smoked them till they started to dissapear off of the shelves , I then went on to JPS, before I packed up (For 6 years,) back onto Malborough, then it was Castella cigars for too many years to count before I packed up forever !!!! as a New Years Resolution in 2010.

My grandad spent his entire working life at Players, (in the days when job-for-life really meant that), and the staff were often given free samples of various products.

Working with tobacco every day, it's no surprise he was a non-smoker, so he used to give all his freebies to my dad - who did smoke.

I remember the occasion when he presented my dad with a few trial sample packets of a new brand called No 6, which at that time still weren't on the market in the shops. So my dad was one of the first people anywhere to smoke a No 6.

when i did smoke it was always embbast tipped but i gave up before i was 17

my dad was a chain smoker for many years 70\80 per day but he smoked park drive or woodbines untill he packed in when he was almost ready to retire on the hospitals advice told if he did not stop he would be dead with in a year he packed up and lived till he was 82 but always said his chest was better when he smoked as he coughed more and got the dust and crap off his chest.

I have never felt so bad since I packed up !!! I'm always waking up choking on flegm