'How does your garden grow?'

ONLY A FEW WEEKS AGO I WAS TALKING TO SOMEONE IT MAY HAVE BEEN KAT ABOUT FLOWER THAT GREW WILD WHEN WE WERE YOUNGER THAT YOU DONT SEE VERY OFTEN NOW DOG DAISIES AND LUPINS WERE JUST TOO OF THEM THEN BLOW ME OUT WE GO THOUGH DERBYSHIRE LAST WEEK END WHAT DO I SEE LOADS AND LOADS OF DOG DAISIES AND ON THE BYEPASS BETWEEN CHESTERFIELD AND MANSFIELD LOADS OF DEEP PURPLE AND LGHT AND DARK PINK LUPINS WE TRAVEL THIS RD REGULARLY AND I CARNT EVER REMEMBER SEEING THEM THERE BEFORE LOVED LUPINS AS A CHILD BUT MUM WHOULD NEVER HAVE WILD FLOWERS IN THE HOUSE AND MY FAVORITE WERE THE PURPLE AND THE PINK ONES.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

:) * I saw a lovely sight whilst on a bus journey the other day: at the side of the busy by-pass was growing a profusion of blood red poppies, their fragile petals fluttering in the wind; by their sides grew daisys, their tiny heads the brightest white ..........

* A beautiful moment captured, retained within my memory and brought back to 'live again' through my imagination ........ :)

There are places in Loughborough like that.

Just cut the grass and trimmed the borders like a good-un!. Just going to get the clubs and go for a round when I get an e-mail telling me they are delivering a new blind the wife ordered anytime between 0. 7.30 and 17.30. GITS!!!!

did it arrive at 5 pm in the end they usually do when you want or need to be elsewere

I've brought this topic back and it was so touching to find that under the first posting I made was Carltongal's.

How enthusiastic she was for growing things; not having a garden didn't stop her ............she loved to see things growing. :)

June 26th, 2012

In My Garden today I took some photographs - promise I will have a go at downloading them within the next few days.

The constant rain has ceased awhile ........

A soft, warm wind was blowing,

brushing tenderly against my face,

I loved it .......... :)

I took some photos of some of my wild flowers and shrubby bits today. Will upload and post in the morning.

Some of the June flowering wildflowers in the garden:

Sweet Rocket

IMG_4311.jpg?t=1340791778

Cow parsley

IMG_4309.jpg?t=1340791671

Borage (flowers make an ideal ice cube insert. simply add to water in cube and freeze)

IMG_4308.jpg?t=1340792017

Dog daisy (Ox eye)

IMG_4321.jpg?t=1340792017

Fox and cubs hawkweed (orange flowers not yet fully opened), growing with perennial caornflowers

IMG_4329.jpg?t=1340790821

Jacob's ladder

IMG_4327.jpg?t=1340792017

Some of the shady and shrubby sections of the garden:

The "back of the potting shed" garden:

In the Well garden (not much in flower this month)

IMG_4331.jpg?t=1340790449

The beer garden - needing some attention!

IMG_4330.jpg?t=1340790259

Another section of the well garden:

IMG_4334.jpg?t=1340790162

And a third corner

IMG_4332.jpg?t=1340789938

The pond and Junipers

IMG_4337.jpg?t=1340789730

The sundial/compass

IMG_4336.jpg?t=1340789723

By the big shed

IMG_4335.jpg?t=1340789448

The former chicken shed

IMG_4338.jpg?t=1340789502

• Upvote 1

A much bigger open plot than your previous picture Poohbear - keep up the good work. Just a thought but you could speed up the clearance process by hiring a turf cutter for a day. Cut the turf off and stack it upside down to make good topsoil for next year.

I can't get into the garden just now, it's pelting down.

lovely garden compo lots of different plots with different things in them but still very natural looking .

its nice and warm down here at the moment hope it stays like this for next few days.

Like Kat I would love a lilac tree but I don't think they would survive the north Scotland winters. My mother planted a lilac at her house on Gladehill Road, Arnold when she first moved in in 1955. When she died in 2008 the neighbours (I assume) dashed around and cut it down - Bast*rds!

A much bigger open plot than your previous picture Poohbear - keep up the good work. Just a thought but you could speed up the clearance process by hiring a turf cutter for a day. Cut the turf off and stack it upside down to make good topsoil for next year.

Same plot mate...not Wollaton park like yours... :) As I said before...turf cutter ok...but I want to shake the soil out of each sod.I'm getting there..

i had forgoten what kat said about liking lilac bushthis could be great idead for a memorial bush for hergoing to go up garden ceentres to look at prices of different bushes and see if i can get some anvice on best time to plant different bushes trees this week weather permiting.otherwise its on the net for best info

You can plant pot grown bushes and trees all throughout the year but bare root ones have to be done between November and March. You wont find any bare root trees at this time of year so you will have to buy a pot grown one. The advantage of pot grown is that they are more-or-less guaranteed to take root and grow but with bare root the weather could kill the roots. Pot grown are more expensive but it would probably be worth paying the extra.

Some great photos Compo. Taken with your new camera no doubt? What was it again?

Canon 550D

Garden is looking half-decent this morning, despite the foul weather of late:

IMG_4340.jpg

Compo

I have some of these orange daisy like flowers on a stalk.

Come back every year and I see they have spread to several front gardens down the street.

Any idea what they are?

Photo @ #172

:) Hi Compo, a lovely photo you've put on: the bright, pastel, complimentary colours of the flowers - love the soft orange lupins - and the rhythms they create with their arrangement; love the contrasting texture of the monkey tree. In fact the photograph is full of texture.

PS: I've been having a go at downloading; you'd think with three people giving advice I'd have some luck! My only success so far is downloading from 'You Tube' onto 'Facebook'! Still I'll keep trying .......... :)