During the 1960s there was a shop on the corner of Portland Street and Mansfield Road, Daybrook, opposite the shops at the bottom of Byron Street. In the back of this shop was a small café. It was definitely there in 1966 - I used to take my girlfriend in there for tea fairly regularly. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that shop or even what it sold, although it might have been general groceries.

Can anyone tell me what the Café or shop was called, please?

That's the one. You can see the bricked-up window where the tea room was. So what was it called....anyone?

still a cafe kitchen were bricked up window is like you i used to go in there when i was a teenager but carnt remember its name

Can't help with the name. I have a hunch it may have been a sweet shop?

The cafe there now, as indicated by Cliff Ton's Google image, has something to do with Frank Key builders merchants just around the corner.

• 6 months later...

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on here but I am pleased to say that the cafe you are asking about was owned by my grandmother Eileen Rhodes of Thackerays Lane at this time.

There would also have been the familiar faces of my Aunty Alma and Uncle John Bow who eventually bought the cafe from my grandmother. Uncle John taught my mum Yvonne her times tables in the cafe when she was very little.

I will find out what the shop sold but I am quite certain it was probably grocery and general supplies.

Local family the Evans who lived on Byron Street nearby also worked in the cafe. Dorothy (Doll) Evans would have been a friendly face during this time.

I am told it was quite a popular place to hang out for teenage couples who could share a bottle of coke and also some of the local teddy boys, probably eyeing up the arnold and daybrook ladies! I assume that brewery workers would have also frequented the cafe.

Sadly my grandmother and aunty Alma have passed away now but I know they had fond memories of running the cafe and I am really pleased it is still being used to feed the staff at Frank Keys, passers by and also the county council staff that work in the home ales building too.

Has anybody got any photographs or stories about the cafe during this time? I would love to hear from you!

Happy New Year!

Mark

Thank you for the gen Markfox! You ask for anecdotes of the café so here's my little story:

I used to date a lovely girl from Furlong Avenue in Arnold in 1966/7; Her name was Susan and we were 16 at the time. During one of our early dates we walked past the café and decided to pop in for a cup of tea. When I offered her sugar for her tea she refused. It was then that I discovered she was a diabetic and had to inject herself daily. I have no idea why this particular evening stands out so well in my memories though :)

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone!

Thats a great story, thankyou!

I live in Carrington now but grew up on thackerays lane so know that area really well.

The home ales building is vacated by the county council in march so will be sold soon afterwards. Im hoping to go into there and have a nosey around before its impossible. My mate Nicks dad Stuart Hallam used to run the brewery tours there. Lived in the old farm house next to the vale but they knocked it down and built a huge block of flats there now.

I would love to see some old photographs of thackerays lane, my house was the one that had the dodgy extension that leans next door to thackerays stores.

Was great getting my apollo soft drinks from johnsons beer off!