Does anyone remember......

Bran tubs? I was reminded of them by a friend in Sussex talking about working on a Tombola stall recently. I had forgotten about Tombolas, and then remembered them and bran tubs being at Christmas fayres etc, as a kid. The bran tub would be a wooden barrel filled with sawdust, and small toys etc would be hidden amongst it all, and you'd pay a small sum and dip your hand in, feel around and pull something out, hopefully something useful and not tat!

I can smell it now !. Although IMMSC it was wood shavings not sawdust that were used

There always used to be one at our church bazaar. It was great fun taking a lucky dip into it so it didn't matter that the gifts inside were rubbish :o)

Also recall at church fairs etc the game with bent coat hanger shaped in to a long bendy length over which you passed a metal loop. the challenge being not to touch the 'coat hanger', or a buzzer would sound, I think this was also made in to a childrens game & sold as a toy

How about the magnetic flywheel thing that ran around a couple of wire tracks that you held in your hand

Not a clue what they were called

At a Bazaar in Eastwood in about 1966, a fellow, probably a carpenter, built a roll-a-penny table. Squares on the table marked prizes and a chute allowed the 'penny to roll down onto the table.

when dave worked at bell fruit in about 1990 they celerbrated what i think was their 25th anniversary as part of this they had a gala type day and made two giant vertions of games about 6ft long by 3 4ft wide one was the old bagatelle type game the other was a shut the box game . employees were allowed to borrow them for fundraising event. later we borrowed them on several ocations as no one else ever asked we were given them and used them to raise lots of money for cot death research with them eventually we gave them to a local school who had used them a few times befor

tombolas are always popular because they make good money for very liittle outlay most of the prizes have ussualy been donated we always brought lollies for the kids who did not win a prize. and as long as you have got a few good prizes on your stall people just keep comming back to try and win one of your good prizes.

often big firms will donate lots of prizes . one year i looked at all my kids soft toys and wrote letters to all the different manufacturers and importers and recives several small boxes of soft toys in return. but the biggest surprize came when i got a letter from one firm to tell me they had just despached a small parcel to us. two days later this small parcel arrived it was nearly seven ft tall anf 4ft square. there were over 200 soft toys of all kinds in the box from 3inch to 3 ft tall i had a lovely day going through that box once dave had got home to open it up for me we started to sort it out and it took me all the next day to sort and put into smaller plastic bags they lasted us nearly 2 years on all our tombolas and raffles we used to do some kind of fundraising event about every two months .

Can anyone remember Plessey Electronics Beeston had Summer Gala days mid 60s?

I remember someone had built a machine that played noughts and crosses with you.

It had Neon valves that lit up with an O or an X.

Electronic machines that used logic were unheard of in those days?

and it must have been the first or one of the fist of its kind,

Years before space invaders.

You've mentioned thar before, and I gave the same reply. There was one in an arcade in Exmouth, years ago. I was 'school noughts and crosses champion" and played the machine. It cost 2p, you won 10p if you beat it and a free game if you drew. I was on for a good hour for my initial outlay of 2p before I sussed that I cwould never win as it knew all the counter moves.......................................DOH !!!!!!!!

Nixi tubes??