Sterilized milk - urgh! Fresh from the cow's t*ts is best.

I was bought up on sterilized milk, and couldn't stand the flat top milk. Then after I got married, I weaned myself off steri, and can't imagine now how I drank it. I guess it's what your parents had so you did too. I do know it didn't seem to go off as quick as the other kind.

Yesterday i found Ready-brek at Fresh & Easy, Didnt know they still made it

I didnt buy it as i cant remember if i liked it or not

• Upvote 1

Steri would keep for ages provided that the crown cap was undisturbed. It made great custard.

always liked ready brek and still do but i like mine like my custard and gravy thin and runny dave always makes it thick if de decides to make me some

My Gran always bought steri..... Is it still marketed????

thumbsupNothing better than a tin of Nestles Condensed Milk.

Such Bliss your first spoonful :) and then another and another and before you know it you're left with an empty tin - oh, not forgettin' the sweet memories!

My mum always used to keep a tin in store, in case she ran out of milk.

PS: I'm sure fudge can be made from this 'Tin of Heaven'.

A little can be added to milk puddings to make them taste extra special.

• Upvote 1

thumbsupNothing better than a tin of Nestles Condensed Milk

Funny but over here the Mexicans are the only one's its marketed for they still use it.

DG, not seen any Mexicans around the area I live in, and Condensed milk is readily available from all our "local" stores, Thayer, Alton and "Chinamart" in West Plains. (Walmart for those that don't know)

I used to use Condensed milk in my tea underground in Australia, bottles of milk either doesn't keep well or gets broken, so used the tubes of condensed milk down there. Yep their collieries are civilized places, "tea urn" always boiling!! and pie ovens in all crib rooms, not forgetting a place to wash our hands too.

I was first introduced to evap in coffee in the Air Force. It's still the only way I drink Instant coffee.

:biggrin: It seems to me that we now have enough members to form: 'The Condensed Milk Appreciation Society', what say you?

'Tin of Heaven' could be our slogan.

Mudgie, for a starters, perhaps you'd like to pass on your recipe for fudge? :)

Ter mek fudge: simply place the unopened can of DCM into boiling water and turn the heat down to just below simmer. Leave for an hour and a half or so and allow to cool before opening. Hey Presto! soft fudge. (From Hairy Bikers)

I buy Nestle condensed milk to make fudge, and I'm not Mexican, mi'Amigo.

You're a lot closer to the Condensed milk cow than i am.

Ps Avn't seen any of this eere FUDGE. Bin earin a lot about it though.

Milk chocolate is made from condensed milk, hence Cadbury's adverts, a pint and half of milk in every bar, although with the size of a choccie bar these days, more like half a pint......LOL

heres a true story and i found it realy funny

when i worked at balloon woods playcentre i would often make sweets with the children i had planed to make coconut ice with them but was ill and the younger younger members of staff 20s\30s decided to use my recipe book and make it with them instead. on going to work the next week i asked kids if they had enjoyed it they all said it was horrible not like yours at all on talking to the staff i asked what whent wrong we dont know was the aswer i said ok ill make it with them have we stil got the ingredients yes but we need to get some coconut but we still got loads of milk, off i go to kitchen cuboard to see if we needed anything else befor going to shop that night to make it that day ,on opening the cupboard i disscovered a hole tray of yes you guessed it evaporated milk instead of condenced milk staff all said we thought thats what we needdedi was in stiches. next day i got all the ingredience and andwe made a very nice batch of coconut ice.staff were amazed at the difference in the milk they had never seen it before . so much for your university graduates life skills much more important, kids would only make sweets with me after that.i always made a batch of different sweets with them just befor christmas coconut ice pepermint creams rum truffles with rum essence not real rum marzipan peti fours fudge and we would make nice boxes containers to give to there mums as a present.

• Upvote 1