Old Gravel Pits near Blotts/Holme Pierrepont?

Sorry Bubblewrap,

I can see your gravel pit near the Colwick Sidings but never noticed it back then. It appears on the small side.

Never took much notice of that side of the river but as far as I can recollect, that side opposite ROT was something to do with the Board of Works re sewerage or similar and was always getting flooded. Those early maps would indicate a lagoon or similar where you probably went fishing, right on the bend of the Trent before she heads south to the ROT basin. The current maps show something akin to the film Waterworld!

You will see the early maps indicate swampland or pondages, both north of the Trent where you are talking about and almost directly opposite, on the ROT side, where a sewerage dyke flowed into the Trent is similar marked land. Also, further along the ROT side near the weir are 2 ponds that held some good pike and were popular for ice skating in winter.

Word had it that the ponds near the weir were part of the old Trent course and your fishing hole could have been from something similar. What do the old, old maps show re the Trent and its navigation because it has definitely changed since the first bridge at West Bridgeford back around a 1000 years ago

The old course of the Trent was about a mile further up stream near Colwick Hall.There is a lock & weir at this point,

It was an old pit I fished it was just west of the railway bridge(about 100 yards) at Rectory Junction.

If the fishing was none too good on the day it was only a minuets walk from the Trent it's self.

Might have been on Meadow Lane as well, but gone from there now.

So where are the slaughterhouses in Notts now?

I think Hacket at one time had land at Cinderhill too, all built on in the sixties.His son in law certainly lived at what was left of the farm on Bagnall Road.

Meadow Lane cattle market was Masons, another family not short of a bob or two.Bill Mason ran the shops...another brother the slaughterhouses and another several farms, including in Ireland.Hell of a profit from the land to the housewife.They both had shops in the old Central Market pre Vic Centre days. No idea where they all are now.

Meanwhile back at Holme Pierrepont.......there are a few recognisable reference points on this from the 1830s, but definitely no gravel pits.

I'm intrigued by the feature called "Holme Cut"; it seems to have disappeared into the Watersports Centre

holme-1.jpg

Morning Cliff Ton,

Holme Cut was the old canal for the barges, enabling them to miss the weir and shorten their distance at the same time. The Cut was definitely man made with Lock Gates either end (Holme Lock and Upper Holme Lock). Holme Lock at the eastern end of the Cut is still shown on some later day maps and on Google.

Old Maps UK co-ordinates 462436 - 339256 and 461490-339262 show the Cut in more detail and even show the old towing paths for the horses to draw the barges back before engine power.

Interesting to see on one 70s map that the Cut is not even shown, just empty fields.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there more than one lock? I took this picture at Holme Pierrepoint almost 3 years ago.

There was more than one, but there's only one now (the one in your photo)!

lock-1.jpg

Katyjay, I think this is the explanation.....

The lock in your photo is the one at the west end of the red line. That line is roughly the course of Holme Cut (see the map in post #34), and there was a lock at both ends of the Cut. The lock house in my photo is at the east end and no longer exists; the lock in your photo is (still) at the west end.

So we are both right :)

Enter Holme Lock in the search tab at PTP and you will find some interesting pictures of both locks, including the construction of the Cut back in the early 20s to the official opening of the locks in late 22.

Later pictures show the floods of 47 and what the official opening in 55 of the sluice gates by someone who appears to be a young Prince Phillip..

The picture by katyjay is definitely the western lock, stil there and referred to in the 82 pics as the 'big lock'. You can still match katyjay's picture with that of the PTP picture of the big lock.

More difficult is to match the photograph found by Cliff Ton to that of the eastern or small lock due to the line of washing at the front of the house in Cliff Ton's picture. However, the picture from PTP below would account for the pic of Cliff Ton's if the photograph was taken from the end of the spit of land or island between the lock gates and the other water course bypassing the locks.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM017124&pos=14&action=zoom&id=77497

Other information and pictures can be seen on the following link: -

http://www.geolocati...522535.jpg/-/en

Unfortunately Cliff Ton, I cannot personally remember seeing these lock sites and will ask my Aunt about them next time I talk to her. Incidentally, katyjay comments that her photograph of the lock keepers house seems different. The above link has a photograph that seems to indicate a better class of house than the early lock keepers. So, whilst it looks similar, it may well have been rebuilt?

The Cut was definitely man made with Lock Gates either end (Holme Lock and Upper Holme Lock).

I'd noticed that the two locks had different names, but unfortunately the old photo I showed seems to have been titled by someone who wasn't very familiar with the area, because it's just called...

lockname.jpg

so according to that, you can't tell which lock is being shown!

Cliff Ton, I fully agree with you as to the confusion.

I have noticed during my search of various records that the Locks were called by various names; large lock, small lock, Colwick Lock at HP, Colwick Lock at Colwick, Upper Holme Lock and more.

Have even tried to match your picture with the old photos on PTP but as both Locks had what appeared to be holding basins prior to entry, the houses were the only clue. With that in mind, the Colwick Lock house seems to be a white structure at one stage and the appearance re the chimney stacks etc seems different to the smaller Lock.

If I was a betting man, I would lay odds on your picture being the eastern Lock at HP.

The PTP link that I previously posted http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM017124&pos=14&action=zoom&id=77497 is definitely the eastern lock at HP and it is the river on the left of the picture and then curving away to the left as it passes the Lock. It is evident that everything to the right of the Lock are fields, hence the fence lines etc.

That ties in with your map at Post # 34

Geographically, you would presume that the large Lock is at Colwick opposite Colwick Park and the small Lock is at the eastern end of the Cut close to the HP hamlet.

Would the existing Lock at Colwick have any information, old photos etc? Just wish I was over there so I could go for a walk and find out more.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...