Bric-a-brac markets

I'm off in about an hour to a bric-a-brac market in Loughborough.(Every Friday in the market place)

I always seem to pick up something Nottingham related(books,maps etc)

Are there any similar markets near other members areas?

A few years ago my eldest son played for Arnold Town F.C. and when they played at home my family and I would get there early to drop my son off. We'd have to wait quite a while for kick off so we used to go to the Arnold Market which was just across the road. It was always a very busy market and I always enjoyed searching through the old records as my wife got the fruit and veg and stuff. We'd look around the market and then go to the 'grub van' which was always parked in the corner of the market. We always had a big bap full of roast pork and apple sauce. They used to put loads of pork, bacon, sausage and stuff on and that's why there was always a queue. Like I stated earlier, Arnold Market was always crowded on a Saturday when I was there and the traders and the shops did a roaring trade. Nowaday's, I see the odd article in the Press regarding Arnold Market and it's never good reading. The football ground was closed and Arnold Town F.C. had to move out which makes you wonder if that had a detrimental effect on the market. They were enjoyable days going round the market and then watching my son play football and Stu's post has got me reminiscing again. I wish I hadn't thought about the roast pork and apple sauce baps, though. Mmmm, I'm starving....lol

We go to Barnsley market every other week, reason, it's one of the biggest around stocking everything from shirt buttons to fresh fruit and veg, reason 2, the car park (multi storey) is on top of the market (both indoor and outdoor markets) and the parking is free of a weekend, free parking in any city of a weekend just has to be a bonus, why does Nottingham car parks seem to charge more on shopping days?

Rog

We go to Barnsley market every other week, reason, it's one of the biggest around stocking everything from shirt buttons to fresh fruit and veg, reason 2, the car park (multi storey) is on top of the market (both indoor and outdoor markets) and the parking is free of a weekend, free parking in any city of a weekend just has to be a bonus, why does Nottingham car parks seem to charge more on shopping days?

Rog

Loony labour council that's why !

Michael

Agree that Arnold market used to be a nice visit and spent some time myself browsing through books and DVDs there over the years. I think it's just indicative of markets generally that Arnold's isn't what it used to be. Good point that taking the footballers out of Arnold might be another factor. Although Arnold Town's facility at Eagle Valley looks to be a good one I do think it was a shame that the club was forced away from Gedling Road. Man fan's would walk to the game but that's not really possible at Eagle Valley. They did talk about running a bus for fans from Arnold up to there on match days, not sure if it ever happened though. Otherwise, though it's not that far away geographically it's not somewhere that you can really walk to. The Sherwood Forester bus to Worksop runs past there but it's once in a blue moon.

There was certainly one in Arnold Market place and I believe there still is. Used to operate on a Wednesday evening I think.

Arnold 'Flea market' is still around every Wednesday evening :)

Arnold 'Flea market' is still around every Wednesday evening :)

They used to be very strict on there...everyone on at the same time and no buying beforehand.Any trader caught doing that was kicked off.