four weeks today, we get to open our first advent window!

Just a little reminder of how close christmas is getting... Iv only bought two pressents so far!

Aye, in four weeks we'll be opening out first window to the count down.. its only about 7 weeks away, itll go fast!

couldnt agree more with that statement Michael! Im doing it on a budget this year, well, im going to try!

Pixie,

Historically the most 'Budget Bustin' time of the year.....................but when you've got little uns, it's also the most special...............my eldest is in her 40's now, but I can still recall her first Christmases, very special times.,.just putting a lump in my throat thinkin' about those memories, treasure them always, going a bit teary eyed as well. :unsure:

Is this really a reminder,or just a silly wind up. I imagine some folk are struggling just to put food on the table,and pay bills.

Christmas is a dread to these people.

I have worked at various places on Christmas day,helping to dish up a good dinner,here in the States, and back in the UK.

Years ago it was mainly the homeless, today it is jobless,veterans,and low paid workers,as well as the homeless.

Christmas is not about how many presents you can buy.

I know I'm stating the obvious and I think some of you may agree with me but Christmas is a very bad time for many people. When I was a kid we used to get a 'main present' and then some bits and bobs. We'd get our presents in a pillow case and there was also some chocolates and fruit. We were always thankful for what we got, mainly because we'd work on our Mum leading up to Christmas...lol. In todays world you have 9/10 year old kids demanding the latest electronic gadgets and 'cool' clothing etc that cost a fortune. The parents get them what they want because they don't want their kids to be the odd ones out with their friends. To pay for it all they often have to take out loans which they pay back forever. At Christmas my wife likes to buy everyone a present. There's six adults and seven grand-children. She still buys the adults Easter eggs, being the warm, generous person that she is. Two years ago I suggested to my kids that at Christmas we all like a drink so for a Christmas present I would get them their favourite drink and they would get me mine. This way we are giving each other a Christmas present but it's not costing anything because we would have bought it anyway for ourselves. For Pixie, who has a very young child, it's a fantastic time. The look on their faces is irreplaceable and should be captured on video. Paulus's post (#6) shows what I mean. As you get older doesn't it become a problem as to what to buy for your spouse. In a few weeks I might be putting a post on Nottstalgia asking for some advice..lol

Be right you lot...Christmas is a lovely time for young parents...the kids getting more and more excited as it approaches.Personally I hate it, being old and living alone.My only pleasure is seeing my son for a couple of hours when he comes over from Oz.It means absolutely nothing to me,just another day...but I do appreciate it's a magic time for those with kids and close relatives.

• Upvote 1

In my family, christmas is about time with the family and making it specail for the young ens, i dont have money to splash out on everyone but we all appreciate the things we recieve from each other. Im going to get my daughter an advent calender as shes aloud abit of chocolate now, so its something for her to look forward to on the run up. I allways think of those with alot less money than us, i have a huge sort out of clothes and house hold things and i know someone who helps the homeless and gives them clothes people have donated, so i give them to her.

I never meant this to upset people, it was meant to be a jolly reminder thatt its 4 weeks till the christmas period. Apologies again!

No reason at all for you to apologise Pixie.

I'm sure that nobody is upset but I reckon there's a common feeling that the Christmas build-up starts way too early. I'd agree with that too.

• Upvote 1

Pixie,

Stu's right, no right minded person would begrudge you indulging your little pixie to whatever extent you wish, most of us on here have had those wonderful memories, if not of our own childhood then those of our children,

Bless your heart Pixie, & you all enjoy the special time that only Christmas bring to kiddies........................ :)

• Upvote 2

We tend to forget those alone at Christmas... and that's the problem.

I have no close family left on my side at all, Family wise they're all SWMBO's side.

I used to hate missing Christmas dinner workin my share of Christmas on 7am-3pm or 2pm-10pm,

(and working the share of those who booked it as holiday in February!)

But now I am redundant/retired, I can have every Christmas dinner with the Rellies :)

Does anyone know for sure when Christmas became this huge,almost out of control spending spree?.

It started as a celebration for children,to remind us of the birth of Jesus Christ.Today it seems to have been lost, or hijacked,by those out to make the biggest profit.

When an ad' on the TV,shows a wife giving her husband a new,BMW with a big red bow tied around it, then it says it all.

What has this to do with the birth of Jesus?.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who are alone at Christmas,and those who are suffering,whatever the reason.

Years ago, I realized how fortunate I was,and began to help those that were less fortunate,it gave me a new realization,and made me a better

person ( I hope).

Poohbear if we lived closer,you would be most welcome to spend Christmas in my home.In fact PM me maybe we could work something out.

• Upvote 1

Poohbear if we lived closer,you would be most welcome to spend Christmas in my home.In fact PM me maybe we could work something out.

Kind offer, ta muchly...Maybe a begging letter to Branson asking for a ten quid return on one of his biplanes... :biggrin:

Hi Mudgie, I agree that Xmas has become a huge marketing opportunty, but when you talk of it being hi-jacked, don't forget that originally it was an Pagan festival celebrating the Winter Solstice.

I will be wishing my fellow Pagans New Year Greetings on the Solstice, as I will to the followers of the Abrahamic religions, and also hoping that they can stop killing people in the name of their deity.

Hi Ace,

for years I have wished for peace,hope,and understanding, for humanity.But all we seem to get is hate, envy,greed,and intolerence.

Bob Marley said it years ago,'Everywhere is War'.

i remember having advent calenders in the 50s but not with chocolate in just pictures of robin elfs ect then on the 24th santa and 25th baby jesus.

like most kids our age we used a pillow case for or presents always a sixpence in the corner nuts fruit chocolate books crayons paints and paint books and of course a selection box were on the end of our bed when we woke up down to a cooked english breakfast by day wash up pots and then open our one main present we would then stay in the front room and play while mum and the older girls got dinner ready this was one of the onlydays the big table in the front room came out and was set ready for when dad got back 2pm from the club, and we whould all sit down for dinner home made crackers garlands made from news paper holly and ivy we got free fron miss coca who lived next to our terrace and one of the older girls whould buy a bit of misletoe and a big blazing fire set the sceenfor our family christmases after dinner we had a singsong played cherades before tea best ham tinned crab salad bread and real butter cakes mince pies tinned fruit and a triffle. then it was games snake and ladders ludo snap dominoes and card games none of us apart from dad went out christmas day and of course i forgot christmas drinks serry port and lemon mainly lemon ade for us little once with a little dash of port and snowballs made with advocar bear for dad and elder brother.mum brought much of this christmas food over many weeks a tin or two at a time and it was left at the shope until christmas eve so we could not eat it.

dave and i always drink to absent friends were ever they may be at 3pm on christmas day as fis family always did and our thought are for those who have passed away but also for those all over the world.

• Upvote 2