They grow coffee beans in Bingham?

'One online comment said: "Bingham already has 4 independent coffee shops, it doesn't need another one - especially a chain that is not buying or supplying local produce.'

I'm being facetious - an interesting story about a local town's attempt to preserve independent local traders.

Coffee shops are fine but they're damned expensive aren't they?

Bingham Costa Coffee: new petition in favour of branch

I don't understand why people rave about coffee from the big chains. It all tastes the same to me - harsh and bitter. I've been to Holland a few times, and Austria. Any small Pension, Gasthof, "Zimmer Frei" etc seems to serve a really nice coffee for breakfast - tastes like it smells, rich and flavoursome, mild but not tasteless. Who makes it and where you can buy it I have never been able to discover.

Micky D's coffee is good over here too - and a much fairer price than Starbucks or any of the other "gourmet" coffee places which I think are a total rip-off!

I worked with a guy here who thought it was pretty snooty to drink coffee flavored with chicory. When I laughed at it he was offended - he thought it was pretty special so I explained that cheap chicory was used to "pad" expensive coffee during the war. He stopped drinking it after that! At least it was better than the hazlenut "ersatz" coffee that the Germans were drinking!

My mum would use the empty Camp coffee bottles for my youngest brother's 'bottle'. Baby bottles were still glass in the 50's and he would love tea in his as a toddler. But he was always breaking them, so the coffee bottles were a good substitute with a teat stuck on the end.

Never liked Starbucks (Or anybody who thinks that it's OK to charge 3 quid for a cup of Coffee ! ) And thankfully I've only been in one three times.

On the subject of other chains, we have a MacDonalds and a Subway, and that's it. Our nearest Burger King is 15 miles away , KFC is a little closer (6 miles) but that's it. All the local takeaways are well established with the exception of a couple of Indian restaurants, they seem to change owners and names more often than County change managers, I reckon there's a tax fiddle going on there !

We had a 'costas ' but they dissapeared out of the shopping centre along with "Brantanos" shoe shop !! (That says something about the state of affairs over here!)

• 3 months later...