Anybody partaking of the venerable old custom as the season approaches? I have to confess I was an adult (questionable) before I ever visited a panto. Ironically that was on a school trip the the Palace Theatre in Mansfield as a staff member.

I had a great time!

I've been back to that same theatre a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. This year I'm attending the well-renowned production at Nottingham Playhouse and we've also just won tickets for the Nottingham Arts Theatre production of Puss in Boots.

Great for the kids but there's something there for the kid in all of us maybe.

Here's an account of my first trip to the panto, at Mansfield - complete with the custard pie I got in the face!

It's BEHIND you!

We took Mary to the panto at the Theatre Royal a few years ago - she was amazed!

May try to go this year if we can get tickets!

No they don't! If you try to tell them what it is, they look at you "gone out"!

The one we saw had Basil Brush in it! One of the teachers that Mary works with is a Brit, and kept saying "Boom-Boom" to Mary - who had absolutely no idea what she was on about - now she does!

My wife and I always used to take my kids, plus the foster kids, to the Theatre Royal and other places to see the Christmas panto. It used to cost me a fortune but it was worth it to see the kids faces as they'd shout and scream at the characters on stage. Love, laughter and happiness are priceless.

• Upvote 1

Cant wait to take Paige to a panto when shes old enough to be able to sit through one and enjoy it. Used to go to them when i was a child, either with school or a family friend would take a few of us (usually some from the local youth club) was brill!

i went on the opening night stu it was a great night and the costumes and scenery were amazing . highly recomended by me too . i have also been to three ammiture pantoes to so far this year and hope to get to see cinderella if pennies allow befor it finishes and probly do bonnington players and nottingham arts theater too you might just say i like panto nothing better all part of my christmas celerbrations

Very much agree, Babs.

Heard a lot about the Playhouse 'traditional' pantos for many years and was not disappointed - it was superb!

Also won a couple of tickets for last Saturday's performance at Nottm Arts Theatre of Puss in Boots, which was fun.

Always reckon for good value for money the ones they have at Mansfield Palace Theatre take some beating.

bonnington always good value too if you have not done that one well worth a visit about 10 pounds and quite professinally done for a small amiture theater company and you could walk there from your place and call in for a drink on the way home ussually finnishes about 9..30pm because of the junior dancers in the cast

• 11 months later...

Bump

Had a brainwave last night .

Instead of worrying about what prezzies to get for grandkids and their parents (who have enough stuff already) thought of booking tickets for the panto down here on Boxing Day instead .

Weather and health permitting , we should have a full compliment staying with us at Christmas . Bit of a gamble if it all comes off and its cost an arm and a leg but the kids will probably remember it more than a bit of a plastic toy . Actually thats probably not true as one is only 2 and another 3 so doubt they will remember that much in reality .

Its already fairly well booked up , even with no known star name , closest I could get is row R , hope the young ones will be able to see something .

The only panto I remember taking our kids to , was at The Theatre Royal in the early 80s . Roy Hudd was the star and for some reason , when choosing kids to go up on stage , they picked our youngest who was only 3 at the time and a really quite child .

Roy Hudd went along the line of kids asking names etc and when he got to our Simon , he said whats your name?

"Thimon" he answered and promptly burst into tears ! Hurriedly got rushed off stage with audience going "aahhh " .

But he did get a bag of goodies , think it was from a supermarket with their name plastered on the bag for "free" advertising.

Anymore memories of pantos seen and their stars ? ?

• Upvote 1

In the late 70's and early 80's, it became a mini tradition for Mum to treat the whole family to go to the matinee performance of the Panto at Theatre Royal on New Years Day. This was me, Mrs C and twin daughters, my brother, his wife and his two kiddies and Mum and we absolutely loved it, and not just because the little uns were over the moon !

I remember we saw Cinderella, Aladdin, Babes in the Wood, and Dick Whittington. I can't recall who was in which in most of them, but there was Barbara Windsor, The Krankies, Keith Harris and Orville (and he really CAN fly!) but do remember that Stu Francis ("I could crush a grape", I could duff a daffodil) was Buttons in Cinderella. One of the biggest laughs was when Buttons, being very shy and bashful, was trying to pluck up the courage to offer Cinderella a sweet and could not be brave enough to do so, asking the audience whether or not he should. In a moments silence during the "should I, shouldn't I " moment, a little kiddie in the audience shouted "Giver 'er one, Stu". Collapse of entire audience and cast in uoroar !!

After the show, we all went back to Mum's for a New Year buffet, then drove home in the dark after having had a great day.

OH YES WE DID !!

• Upvote 4

Anyone remember Norman Evans? (Over the garden wall). Our local group is doing a version of 'The Wizard of Oz', what I wrote. I can recommend the part of Dame to anyone wishing to lose weight. What with all the gear and make up, I once lost 5lb over 4 performances. I haven't been to a professional panto for some years. They reached a point where they stuck a 'name' from some Soap in a starring role and seemed to think that was enough. I hope they've improved.

My brother played in the band a few times at the Theatre Royal for the panto .

Think the "stars" then were Jimmy Cricket , wasn't he the one that had L & R on his wellies ?

Another time it was Frank Bruno .......got a signed poster for that one .....big deal !

My brother played in the band a few times at the Theatre Royal for the panto .

Think the "stars" then were Jimmy Cricket , wasn't he the one that had L & R on his wellies ?

Another time it was Frank Bruno .......got a signed poster for that one .....big deal !

No it was R & L