Government to put a minimum price of 45p a unit on alcohol what do folk think?

It will make little or no difference to me as even the stuff I buy from the supermarket is more than that in the first place.

Its the reason's they give like "binge drinking" and "people's health", biggest load of cobblers I have ever heard. They are after more revenue from alcohol because of the amount of people that now drink at home. No more 25% off if you buy six bottels, no more three for £12 and some politician sat there today and said it would only be enforced on the cheap stuff. Its about money as always and they ain't fooling anyone.

Just another way for the government to make some extra money... Its easy to say its to prevent binge drinking as it is a problem with alot of people, easy to make money from the people who DO binge at weekends etc. Do they really think were THAT stupid? Not sure if itll be a problem to me personally, as i dont drink too much.. Me and the other half buy ourselves or each other the odd bottle of wine each, as i only drink Ros'e, a bottle lasts me well over a week... but even so, i barely buy any. Funny how its coming into force just before christmas.. When the most alcohol is bought from supermarkets etc for the christmas period!

The budget is a bit tight in chez Beefsteak where self indulgant entertainment goes, but one of our little treats is the occational (usually Saturday night) 3 litre bottle of a nice cheap cider (£3.60 a bottle) poured over ice and shared between SWMBO and I it lasts us two nights normally . This will go up to £7.15p a bottle (obviously nearly double) if these to553rs have their way.!!

Why should I pay extra because nobody goes to the pub any more because the stupid previous governments (All of them!!) have taxed alcohol to death in the first place. As Mgread 1200 says they've emptied the pubs and now we have to pay for their mistakes (Smoking ban too, although I must admit it was one of the reasons I packed up !!) It's nothing to do with combatting binge drinking. If they want to curtail that they should make it the shopkeepers fault and close the b45t4rds down if they get caught selling it to under age kids !

Can see both sides of this debate. The problem for me is that I don't trust politicians and their underlying motives as has been stated in this thread...

I know from my own research in mental health all over the EC that there is a big health lobby for constraints on alcohol using similar methods to this proposal. Research has proved that they work in significantly cutting down alcohol problems. Sadly, politicians will use that to their own ends - not necessarily for the good of people's health, not to mention law and order issues, of which there are many.

PS: Three bottles of Corona (710ml) for a fiver at Tesco at the moment - get it while you can! :)

Nothing seems to change, in regard to taxation on alcohol,tobacco,and petrol.

From being a little kid I remember the 'Daily Mirror' front page headline.'UP booze and fags', later years it included petrol.

But now, politicians will use any excuse to squeeze yet more money,from an overtaxed society.

The proposed cost of 45p a unit of alcohol is not a tax. The extra money will go to the brewers & shops etc.

I have a sneaking feeling the brewers are favouring this as many pubs have closed & the breweries are keen to recoup lost profits.

The Govt have said this is to curb binge drinkers & yobbos etc. Take a look at countries where they have cheap booze & you don't see this probem there.

Honestly, this is RIP OFF BRITAIN at it's best.

I think that everyone in the real world knows that the price rise will make no difference at all. People will still get p*ssed out of their heads and pour out of the nightclubs in the early hours of the morning. They'll still fight, urinate everywhere and be sick in shop doorways. The police will still have a big job in keeping law and order. What I think should happen is punish the people who cause the problems. A first offence would be a £200 fine, a second offence would be a £400 fine and so on. People can go out at the weekend and spend £200 in one night but I think they'd think twice knowing it could result in a big fine, especially if you'd been in trouble before. The people who like to drink at home will still drink at home but the less well off will be the ones to suffer because of the price rise. Anyone who says, "It's about peoples health, not problems on the streets", then I will say to them, "Many people die every year because of smoking cigarettes but huge price rises haven't stopped the majority of smokers".

We have similar problems here in oz and the powers that be are on about the same thing. We also have big issues with the indigenous people who consume what we call "Chateau Cardboard" which can come in anything up to 5litres !

Will have little or no effect on the real causes.

I drink very little but my wife likes a glass or two of white or red now and again so will have little effect on us.

Me!

An old electrician I was apprentice to many years ago said to me.

"You dont Drink, you dont smoke, you dont gamble...

Look at the tax you are getting away with"

Same for me, but even cheaper Mick - I worked for the railway for 35 years and therefore have certain documents about my person, including one that gives unlimited travel on the former Western Region (first class). With that and a bus pass the world is my oyster - talking of which, I also have a railway staff reduced rate Oyster card for the London Underground. Some folk are just jammy!

Well, to be honest, with no trains beyond Barnstaple and the buses taking for ever, I usually drive if I have cause to go to Bideford! And of course, in the last couple of weeks getting from one part of Devon to another at all has been a major logistical problem. For several days the entire rail network west from Exeter was completely isolated from the rest of the country - floods between Exeter/Tiverton and Exeter/Yeovil Junction. We could have declared UDI - Peninsulania, with a nice centrally situated capital at Launceston (whence one of my paternal great grandmothers originated). Then we could either have left the EU altogether, or applied to them for convergence funding as a new member state !

The proposed cost of 45p a unit of alcohol is not a tax. The extra money will go to the brewers & shops etc.

I have a sneaking feeling the brewers are favouring this as many pubs have closed & the breweries are keen to recoup lost profits.

The Govt have said this is to curb binge drinkers & yobbos etc. Take a look at countries where they have cheap booze & you don't see this probem there.

Honestly, this is RIP OFF BRITAIN at it's best.

The government will still get their kickback in the form of the extra VAT multiplied by a few million bottles

A minimum price will affect booze at ALL price levels. If the cheapest goes up to the same price as the next bracket then that bracket will go up by a similar amount in order to maintain the price differential.

The retired and low paid workers are the ones being targeted here, NOT binge drinkers on the streets at weekends.

well its allways good to remember that aldi will still have the cheaper alternatives to our favourite booze! Their own gin and ameretto tastes exactly the same as brand name stuff but for a fraction of the price.