Are carers, cleaning ladies, maids and butlers slaves? It makes you wonder .

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

POLITICIANS PLEASE PAY ATTENTION ! ‘Entitlement’ my eye, I paid good money for my State Pension and other benefits!!!! Just because they borrowed that money, doesn't make my benefits some kind of char

When I was a kid in Nottingham, I used to enjoy the field trips, some were abroad or trips to London etc. These trips took the kids out of their comfort zones and helped them to adapt to different sit

For those who were wondering....    

Depends on the conditions under which they work. My situation is somewhat unusual in that being disabled, I need a full time carer but also, I am lucky enough to be able to afford staff to look after my property and housekeeping. I pay them fairly, perhaps even generously compared with some of the employment rates around here. They get free, comfortable accommodation and food and we all seem to be a happy little household. 

I could never manage to live here without help even discounting my disabilities (after all these years - the French are an odd lot) and I think we have pretty much the perfect setup.

I very much doubt that Thierry, Rosie (Madame) or Philippe consider themselves as slaves. After all Madame is the person really in charge of my property - a real old school concierge!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't think this sort of person would consider theirselves slaves, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind. ive had quite a few cleaning ladies that have looked after me after various operations and they become friends and I for one although they were paid well with other extras, I felt embarrassed to pay them and prefer not to have anyone.But I do realise that there are persons that do have the necessity for help. Understand I was not criticising anyone.

• Upvote 1