Bygone medicines & cure-alls

My mum always had;

Surgical spirits..............every graze & cut, OMG it stung like bu99ery!!

Kaolin Poultice.................Boils

Tincture of Arnica................toothache

Camomile flowers...................neuralgia?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a tip that works for athlete's foot, I suffered bad with it for years the regular over the counter stuff just kept it at bay, but I still had smelly feet. Use Vick vapour rub, it does work, cl

the thing i use for sore throats is raspberry vinigar dave makes it now from his mums old recipe and its nice on yorkshire pudding to my fiend adds a bit more sugar and thickens it a bit more and puts

'Virol' was the same as: 'Cod, Liver Oil and Malt' - as a child, loved this stuff.

Indian Brandee, I think that's how it was spelled..

Liquid Paraffin.. To "shift yer when yer were bunged up"

J Collis Brown's mixture for upset stomach [yuk, it was put in hot water]

Andrew's Liver Salts

Ex-lax, or Senna Pods to boil or failing that Syrup of Figs

Germolene for cuts and scrapes

Vick's Vapor Rub! Yes, I know, you can still get it (damn)!

i always have olbas oil for when got a cold they also do a rub stronger than vicks.

the other thing i have used since my kids were young is conatrane antiseptic cream swear by it for nappy rash and in those little places you sometimes get sore small cuts and scratches only about 6 pounds for a large tub and smells much nicer than e 45 or any other cream ive tried good moisturiser too.

Here's a tip that works for athlete's foot, I suffered bad with it for years the regular over the counter stuff just kept it at bay, but I still had smelly feet.

Use Vick vapour rub, it does work, cleared my athletes foot up pretty good and I'm still free of it and no stinky feet either. This is no joke, it works!!

• Upvote 1

COD LIVER OIL Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhh........ I hated the stuff, but mum would force it down us claiming all sorts of medicinal attributes. They were talking about it on the radio a few weeks ago, and it turns out it has NO useful traits AT ALL!

Sometime I wish me mum was still alive - I would have happily informed her that all that torture was for naught! ;)

Camomile flowers in hot water for gumboils.

Tincture of Arnica for bruises - still used today in some sports medicines and alternative therapy shops.

Kaolin and Morph used for gastro

Kaolin poltice as mentioned for boils - I had a massive carbuncle on my shin as a kid and this stuff shifted it!

Sugar and soap poltce for drawing out splinters

And one of my old grans favourites Lodnum (she called it) , think it was a liquid narcotic similar to the Morph in Kaolin and Morph. came in a "ribbed" brown bottle, about 250ml.

She used to give it out by the teaspoon in a little warm water, to settle your stomach !

We still have Germoline in our medicine box Lol! bought it from thee uk last year.

Whitfields ointment for fungal infections - still available even here in oz !

And one of my old grans favourites Lodnum (she called it) , think it was a liquid narcotic similar to the Morph in Kaolin and Morph. came in a "ribbed" brown bottle, about 250ml.

She used to give it out by the teaspoon in a little warm water, to settle your stomach !

I guess it was Laudanum - Tincture of Opium - pretty potent stuff.

California Syrup of Figs

When he was about three years old my little brother got his hands on a bottle of this fruity stuff and before Mam could get it from him he`d swigged half the bottle

I don`t have to describe the aftermath do I? no2

(He didn`t seem to come to any permanent harm)

I HATE the smell of germoline, i remember my mum having a blue tin of it and i wouldnt let her get anywhere near me with the stuff!

Gingerale for sickness, also 'burns' bugs and flu out of your system.

Kaline and morphene (not sure how thats spelt) But my mum allways insists i have a bottle in .. yano, just incase.

Honey for sore throats and coughs

I remember as a kid, my mum used to buy this menthol bubble bath when we had a cold, cant seem to find it anywhere these days!

And Tunes throat sweets, used to love the cherry ones!

Witch hazel, although you can still buy it, i remember my mum had a glass bottle of the stuff, it got whipped out when i had cuts and bruises, and when i got older and started getting spots, i still use it to this day for bad skin!

There was another remedy for colds/bad chests, instead of Vick, used to be in a liitle jar & the label had yellow/orange flames on it & I'm sure it had 'fire' in the title;

.......fire or fire.........., anyone remember it?

Got it!!...................it was called Snowfire Ointment....................on reflection perhaps it wasn't used for coughs, it was for chilblains, still on sale:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/140615134224?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0