I still always leave a lump of coal outside the house to be brought in by the first footer.

In our house as a kid, by Hogmanay:

House cleaned to to bottom.

Bins emptied. Never take last year's rubbish or dirt into the new year for a 'fresh start'.

First foot as Kath says must be tall/dark haired (if not wear a hat!)

Many Scots had the tradition of not taking the first drink until midnight struck. (Then carried on coninuously all week of course!)

My mother in law always warned me not to wash a single bit of laundry on New Year's Day, she said it would wash someone out of the family, in other words, someone would die. I never have washed a thing that day since she told me, don't want to be blamed for someone popping their clogs. Most likely an old wives tale, but too risky to rebel against!

My mother in law always warned me not to wash a single bit of laundry on New Year's Day, she said it would wash someone out of the family, in other words, someone would die. I never have washed a thing that day since she told me, don't want to be blamed for someone popping their clogs. Most likely an old wives tale, but too risky to rebel against!

My mother said the same about washing clothes on New Years Day.

Once we were staying with my parents over the new year, and my mother told my wife about not washing clothes on that day, because you will wash someone out of the family, so now my wife who is also superstitious will not wash clothes on new years day.............

Love that link of yours Kath. The White Heather Club was the first programme I recall seeing when we got our first telly , (Circa 1965)

There's also an old wives tale similar/related to the not washing clothes on New Years Day.

"Sweep the house by broom in May, Sweep the head of the house away"

That's him Denshaw, used to knock about with a gay guy called Ben Doon, Ben had a partner but I can't recall his last name, I now his first name was Philip......................anyone know?

That's him Denshaw, used to knock about with a gay guy called Ben Doon, Ben had a partner but I can't recall his last name, I now his first name was Philip......................anyone know?

Deary me. That joke is so old it's got whiskers.

Bugger, I could have sworn it was Phil McRackup, never mind, I'm just going to have to go back to kindergarten and do some revision.

I knew his mate Angus. Somenone once said to home "What's under yer Kilt Angus Doon?" and he replied "Yes".

Once knew another fellow; Gaberdine Angus was his name - a bit of a flash git he was.

• 9 months later...