Has anyone read anything that stood out to them in the local paper recently? One thing that stood out to me this week is picking up the paper to see an old school friend (who im still in touch with) gave birth on christmas day, what makes it better? she didnt even know she was pregnant. It makes a change to read something happy instead of local murders and crime dont you think?

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/didn-t-know-pregnant-Ilkeston-woman-21-surprise/story-17710640-detail/story.html

i was told by a closer friend of hers, she allways loved the name joseph, i think it was a perfect choice of name!

• Upvote 1

my daughters name is Paige, not sure how or if that'll be cut short, when thinking of names for her I was considering all the shortened versions and abbreviations

my three sons were given there names because they would not get shortened paul, ian and lee. as you can see all are quite difficult to sorten although as i have said before paul sometimes gets called paulus and lee often gets called heylee by dave becaouse he always used to be shoutin hey to everyone and it stuck with dave.

my daughters name is Paige, not sure how or if that'll be cut short, when thinking of names for her I was considering all the shortened versions and abbreviations

Would be interesting if your surname was Turner..........................lol............... :laugh:

• Upvote 1

My Grandmother was called Ellen but was known as Nelly.

My Daughter is Eleanor. Her name gets shortned to Elly ans somtimes Nelly.

I have a Grandaughter Chanel whose name was shortened via (little) Nell to Nelly.

I love how the name Nelly has been passed through the generations, Malarkey

• 2 weeks later...

We named our three Cheryl, Michael and Christopher, never heard Cheryl being called anything else, but the two lads obviously get shortened to Mike and Chris, although not by my wife or myself.

Dennis

My first name is John but I've always been known as Andrew(Parents & Sister) Andy to any one else.

We named our three Cheryl, Michael and Christopher, never heard Cheryl being called anything else, but the two lads obviously get shortened to Mike and Chris, although not by my wife or myself.

Dennis

How about Cher ?

Dennis

I have 5 offspring, in total; Leanne, Kelsie, Luke, Daniel & David, but I never shorten their names, neither did/do their mothers (2 SWMBO's) , if I ever got cross with any of them i used both christian & middle names, that way they new my moods.............................oldest now 43 youngest 21, & damn proud of them all!! :)

As I said I've never heard anyone shorten Cheryl's name, someone may have done but none that I am aware of. I'm not keen on my name being shortened but inevitably it has, usually Den but an aunt used to call me Denny which I hated.

Dennis

My name Paul was never shortened at school...........................unfortunately my surname meant I was forever known as Thorpey..................still don't like it now, but Paulus is Fine!!

By the way has anyone noticed how a lot of the older forenames names are making a come back?. My great grandchildren three girls are named Olivia, Gracie, and Josie.

Dennis

My son is Charles, but when he started school the kids would call him "Chuck" or "Charlie" and he didn't like it. Eventually, we hit on "Chip", and he has been called that ever since (except when he is in trouble!)