How accurate is your tax return?

The on line tax return is easy to do but what concerns me is that the new proposals for tax assessment may mean that they start looking at your bank account, The problem with this is how safe will the data they collect be? More of the "big brother" state. The more data they collect about us the more it gets lost.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not had to fill in a tax return for about 40 years.

A very good and valid point. To make returns all on line would be divisive and discriminates against sections of the population who do not wish to use a computer. It is the same problem when on line

Not everyone has internet access.

A very good and valid point. To make returns all on line would be divisive and discriminates against sections of the population who do not wish to use a computer. It is the same problem when on line payments for goods and services is given preferential treatment.

• Upvote 1

A few years back, I had to complete a self assessment return even though I was on PAYE, because I owned some shares. A couple of weeks later, I got a tax demand equivalent to four months pay, payable immediately.

After spending about half an hour on the phone to someone in Glasgow, I got the bill down to about six hundred quid.

A second call, to the same place a week later, and I was lucky to get through to the bloke who had the brain cells that day. Net result was a £200 rebate!

# 77,79.

Not having a computer is not acceptable according to Notts City Council. One of the wife's friends recently lost her husband and wanted to apply for a single person rebate on her council tax, this you can only do on line.

She phoned the NCC and was told to go to a library and use theirs. When she said she didn't know how to use a computer they just told her to take a friend to do it for her.

# 77,79.

Not having a computer is not acceptable according to Notts City Council. One of the wife's friends recently lost her husband and wanted to apply for a single person rebate on her council tax, this you can only do on line.

She phoned the NCC and was told to go to a library and use theirs. When she said she didn't know how to use a computer they just told her to take a friend to do it for her.

This advice from NCC is totally unacceptable. Library, school and many workplace computers are on networks. These are monitored and so any data entered could be accessed by those who police the acceptable use policies that are in place. NCC should provide an alternative. There could also be equalities issues for some people in this situation.

This article from Martin Lewis (MoneySavingExpert) explains the new Self Assessment Tax Return system.

If you like good deals get his regular e-mails sent to you, like I do.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/savings/2015/03/budget-2015-annual-self-assessment-tax-return-to-be-scrapped-in-its-current-form

Here in oz we are generally taxed fairly high, but as a pensioner we are basically tax free so long as we are below the first tax threshold, most pensioners are unless they have income streams from other sources.

I haven't done a tax return now for over 10 years and hopefully never will again thank goodness, unless I win lotto then I wont mind !!