British Home Stores on Lister gate

:) I wonder is the present BHS in the place where the old Woolworth's once stood?

Anyone notice that the toilets in BHS are very old and up a mountain of stairs, I'm wondering if they once belonged to Woolworth's?

PS: Decent bargains to be found in BHS these days: wasn't so back in the olden days when BHS was considered a high quality store - in competition with M&S - there used to be a decent restaurant in there too I recall. :)

:) I wonder is the present BHS in the place where the old Woolworth's once stood?

Am I correct in thinking BHS is the one in Broad Marsh Centre? Can't be in the same place as the old Woolies, that was at various locations on Lister Gate which still exist with new occupants.

The present BHS is actually where Greyfriar Gate used to be. The store is approximately in the middle of this empty road.

grey.jpg

Haven't had a half-way decent English breakfast in a long time. It's all this trying to be bl**dy healthy - it's bad for you.

Reminds me of the two English girls, Tina Smith and Marge Harris, working in the Vatican kitchens. First day on the job for the new Pope, so they send up a message to his chambers asking if he would like a full English breakfast. The message that came back was:

"Don't fry for me, Marge and Tina".

thumbsup

• Upvote 5

Talking of British home stores, didnt they only sell British produced goods?

Be out of business today if that was the case.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Looking at those old picture it makes you realise how the Broadmarsh centre seems to "Cut Off" the city giving it a "Dead End" look i remember as a kid walking through that area to see Santa Claus at Redmayne & Todds, which would have been beyond the area where the Broadmarsh centre is?

You're right about Broad Marsh being the dead end of things. There are several threads here which mention the fact that Broad Marsh Centre these days is the ultimate ghost town. Most of the units are currently empty.

Redmayne and Todd used to be here http://goo.gl/maps/Q2yX5

It's now one of those buildings which is always changing owners and nothing ever lasts very long.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...