Dambusters 70th Anniversary Fly past at Lady Bower

I've finally sussed out how to shift them back.
Sad that the sun went in at the wrong moment , but here's the best of the bunch.

8747969802_86b844d1f2_o.jpg
8747970608_d05883d9c6_o.jpg

8746850435_85a7d471f6_o.jpg

8746849529_9640e235fe_o.jpg
  • Upvote 1

Beefy, they're not big enough, can you blow 'em up a bit.........................................................

Colour of his eyes? I know what he'd had for lunch !

Another forum I visits slated Dan Snows BBC coverage of the flyover

"I've just attempted to watch and listen to the tribute to the Dambusters.
Unfortunately , the BBC again had that complete tosser Dan Snow shouting his head off continually. They actually put him in the Lanc where he drowned out the crew. Screaming at the top of his voice, we could not hear what the pilot was saying.
On the ground he was talking as loudly as he could to people on the ground whilst the aircraft flew overhead. When the Spitfires flew over, he raised his voice to drown out the engine sounds.
The best bit was when a member of the audience shouted to him to shut up and listen. Look at it again and you'll see people totally pissed off with him.
Why oh why did the BBC not learn their lesson from his just as moronic dad who probally got him the job working for the BBC"

It may refer to this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sjtzt/The_Dambusters_70_Years_On/

The American Dambuster "Big Joe McCarthy" RCAF with is cap of and the crew of T for Tom.On the 10th run,bomb-aimer "Johnny Johnson" released the bomb from a height of just 90 feet.It exploded squarely on top of the earthen wall of the dam causing damage to 50 yards of the structure.Canadian Sgt/Pilot Ken Browns Lancaster did further damage to the crest of the dam.Unsure of the dams intergrity,the Germans were forced to drain of the water to inspected and repair.4902676086_f126cf3700_b.jpg

Sadly "Johnny Johnson" is one of only three of the original Dambusters still with us.

Nice pics as usual Ian, I have some pics of the new 617 squadron memorial at Woodhall Spa I will post when I get home, I was at Derwent water dam back in 1988 I think it was for the 45th anniversary, got some pics of the remaining air crew and the Lanc going through the twin towers I'll see if I can scan them, I also have the official program of events from the day when the memorial stone was unveiled in the left tower and a copy of the Sheffield Star that was published on the day, I am fortunate enough to work on the site of the old RAF Woodhall where the 617 (Dam Busters) spent the rest of the war. it was from this site that the first Tall boy and Grand slam bombs were carried under the Lancs to bomb strategic sites in Germany and Italy, the Blast pens are still visible in "Ostlers" wood which is forestry land but with public access

Rog

Is it just me or does the message seem odd on the memorial? It is for those who gave their lives SINCE 1945 ! Where then is the one for those PRIOR to 1945?

Whilst here I will tell you of an incident in 1958 at Scampton in which a Vulcan was being towed to take-off location and without knowing it the nose wheel strut was fractured. The bomber took off minus said wheel. The captain ordered every one out (the rear crew who could not eject and had to jump.) He later managed to land said bomber minus wheel. Without gruesome detail this memorial would be apt !

As I'm sure you are most astutely aware, 617 Squadron was originally formed for "Operation Chastise" in 1943, and is still running today , it is now based at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland and flies the Tornado GR4s shown in my photos.

There's another memorial to the left of this one, in memory of the participants of the dam raids and the crews that failed to return.

I won a tour round RAF Scampton last year and took Rog (Plantfit) There was a picture on the wall of "Micky Martin" he looked to be in his late 50s but was in fact around 30 when the picture was taken !!
I'll see if I can find it.