More likely to be the Leen curving round the base of the rock Stan...if you look far left you can see the river curving through some trees heading for some bridge arches that were the start of what we know as London Road.

Here's a link so you can blow up the picture to see more detail.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/resources/maps/ZoomifyExpress4-Win/nottingham1707.htm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photograph and painting of the period when the Leen ran past the Castle...which was still derelict. In the painting the 'Trip' can be seen to the right.

Nowhere near as green as it was in 1707...those gardens are where the Lace Market is now.On the far horizon the hills of Charnwood Forest.Sherwood Forest was North of the City.The view from your pictu

I think it is what we now know as the River Trent. The small church tower on the left of the picture is St Wilfrid's in Wilford viillage. The big, flat area between there and St Mary's is part of the

The two church spires behind St. Marys in front of the Castle are probably St. Nicholas on the left and St.Peters to the right .

A view from the "South propect"

9097471587_76bc30be15_b.jpg

The large mansion to the right of St. Marys is Pierrepont House

9097471637_b3c9c4fcca.jpg

A painting of Pierrepont House by an unknown artist from early 1700s . Interesting to know what is on this site now .

9097471611_afcb0b90cb.jpg

A different view of the city showing a different perspective

9099708020_199ee71728.jpg

I'd agree with it being High Pavement. You can still walk along that side of St Mary's today and the houses across the road don't seem to have changed much since back then.

Also the River Leen...there wasn't a road beneath Castle Rock until Castle Boulevard was built. Before then, you had to go along the route further north, which was to become Lenton Road through The Park. (see the map in post #22)

Good system that ! You can see a little bridge over the water on close inspection. Thanks.

Wonder what it will all be like in another 300 years. Will there be any green apart from the stuff Mick talked about.

In fact looking at it really closely, I can see five bridges over the Leen, not counting the main Trent Bridge.

If you look REALLY closely I reckon you can see one of Micks ancestors nicking some cabbages! :tongue:

A different painting from 1695 by Jan Siberechts , showing the same buildings in the foreground but different perspectives. Also gives the impression of the town being on a higher elevation than it probably is .

6731854409_05ee353aa3_b.jpg

Theres also this picture which I assume is the Castle with the Trip below but its defeated my website googling powers to find out when it was painted and by whom .

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/images-multimedia/homerotate/pic03.jpg

9097717379_e6bb7df20a.jpg

Theres also this picture which I assume is the Castle with the Trip below but its defeated my website googling powers to find out when it was painted and by whom .

I'll see if I can find anything...I know roughly the period in the mid 1800s before the park was built up...and if you look at the Castle you will see the windows are white.This was the period when the Castle was derelict for many years after the fire started by the Luddites.It was just a shell with no windows.

And Jackson..Ta for the compliment...But I didn't paint 'em myself y'know... :biggrin:

A photograph and painting of the period when the Leen ran past the Castle...which was still derelict.

In the painting the 'Trip' can be seen to the right.

qwmd.jpg

o61a.jpg

• Upvote 2

:biggrin:Poohbear, you're an Ace: thank you for the exquisite watercolour above of Nottingham's Castle and the easily recognisable buildings to the fore ..............

Will try and find out the artist's name ....................

PS: the photograph preceding, amazingly interesting of what it was like before ............

Looking at the painting - which shows a lot of Brewhouse Yard - it's surprising how similar it still looks today

brew.jpg

The building next to the Trip, and the building at the end facing the camera, are both unchanged.

Looks like that previous image I posted was cropped from this painting of Nottingham Park by Thomas Allom and could be in the 1830s.

9098166761_dd6c3e8b4e_b.jpg

I presume in this picture the working boats are on the Leen ? You can just make out the 3 church spires on the skyline

9098167329_e0cbe71939_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jackson , re post #38 , that water colour painting of Brewhouse Yard is by J Edwards , painted about 1860 .

There's some more lovely pics and a history of the area on this website , who's owner had ancestors living there .

http://www.frogs.co.nz/froggatt_family/BHY/

I found this etching in old book about coaching ages ago , didn't do a very good screen-shot but you can just about make out St Marys and St.Peters and the windmills on the far right .

Its a drawing of a broad-wheeled heavy wagon being pulled by a team of horses down a rough track that was to become Mansfield Road

9098265183_8a13e2351e_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Poohbear, DavidW and Clifton, your input on this thread has been what Nottstagia is all about. Thank you, gents.

Thanks for any "ticks" . Usually only the Mrs that "ticks" me off !

I enjoy researching this stuff but do tend to get a bit OCD with it , much to her annoyance .

Anyway , getting back to the large building , Pierrepont House , that shows to the right of St. Marys in the original picture, repeated here below :

9097471611_afcb0b90cb.jpg

In one way , it seems a building ahead of its time and could nearly fit in with any 60s / 70s modern block of flats ! Though I am sure it had much more style !

It was also the first building in Nottingham to have sash windows .

There isn't that much info about it but most seem to agree it stands on what is now a large warehouse/factory building on Stoney Street . So the house in the image is in the middle of what we now know as the Lace Market .

More detail of the family here :

The Pierrepont family, which had a great deal to do with Nottingham's story from the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries, seems to take its origin from George Pierrepont, who was Knighted by Edward VI. He prospered exceedingly and accumulated great wealth, and his son was created Baron Pierrepont and Viscount Newark of Holme Pierrepont, and by the time of the Civil War the family was advanced to the Earldom of Kingston.

They erected the magnificent mansion known as Pierrepont House on the south side of Stoney-street in Nottingham, whose site is now occupied by a large block of warehouses, No. 7, Stoney-Street.

An extraordinary story is told of the second Earl.
He became enraptured by the beauty of Miss Chudleigh, who, in addition to receiving his advances and encouraging those of the Duke of Kingston, married a certain Captain Harvey.

After a few years she got tired of Captain Harvey, and finding all the witnesses of the wedding were dead, she destroyed the register of her marriage, and in 1679 married the Earl of Kingston. She led him a dreadful life, and after his death seized up on certain family properties and succeeded in estranging her friends.

News of her bigamous marriage leaked out, and she took refuge in France, where she died. Her true character came out just before her end. She had spent the greater part of her life tormenting and worrying the wretched Earl, her husband, and her final wish was that her coffin should be chained to his in the vault of Holme Pierrepont Church, a wish which, needless to say, was never carried out.

Mick ref.#47 , its possible they are from the same Norman ancestors but we had a family of Pierrepoints living on our road at Mapperley, dad was a brickie , so I guess there were a lot of them about .

Edit: just checked the 1881 Census and in England and Wales there were over 900 people with a variation of the name . In Notts alone there were about 100 Pierreponts or points .