One of the Classic I like best

Dueling Banjos

Just loved a lot of the old 50s (war songs) not music but good to listen to.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit more of my Daughters double......Karolina.......

To me this perfectly evokes growing up in the late 50s-early 60s more than just about any other piece of music.    

I think the first single I bought was an instrumental . African Waltz by the Johnny Dankworth Orchestra .  Strange choice for a 12 year old!  

I’ve always liked ‘Dueling Banjos’ from the film ‘Deliverance’. I’d just about mastered playing it at the time I lost half a finger on my left hand. I can only play it very slowly now which somewhat spoils the impact!

Yes, that piece of music brings back memories to me, too. It was played every evening at a certain time, just before I was packed off to bed. I used to insist on waiting until they played it so that I could dance to it by spinning round and round until I fell over!  My grandfather used to sit in his chair, helpless with laughter at the sight of me.  After it had finished, I'd run up the stairs to bed.

Leroy Anderson also wrote Forgotten Dreams which brings back memories of childhood, too. It was a very popular piece around that time.

• Like 2

It demonstrates that if you go to Youtube and Search your way through the works of Leroy Anderson, you can relive any childhood from the 50s and 60s.

I know because I've tried it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

That's very true. His "The Typewriter" was also used in a BBC radio programme but I can't just remember which one.

Mr Google says BBC Radio 4 - The News Quiz

The opening title music is an arrangement of The Typewriter, by Leroy Anderson, played by The James Shepherd Versatile Brass. For the programme, the original recording (on Decca records SB 314) has been increased in speed and pitch by about 33%.

Thanks @The Engineer I remember it being a quiz programme of some sort and the participants being given something like 15 seconds to answer a question, during which interval a few bars from The Typewriter were played.

Dennis McCarthy’s old house, Buggins’s Cottage, on the Old Fosse at Bingham, is looking a bit neglected. It’s surrounded by an estate of new builds and I did see an application for redevelopment but nothing’s happened for some time.