Thunder in the Skies

I just have to tell you,I have never heard thunder as loud and continuous as we are experiencing in West Midlands this (not so fine morning) just waiting to see the Lightening now,The gardens are sodden, Great!,No need to get the hose pipe today.Don't Know if its coming you'r way,Get you'r brollies out ready its a good one.Its been at it all night.

Just hope it's passed over by teatime as we're driving home for a flying visit on our days off tonight :unsure:

#2 I can picture the scene,LOL

Our Lightening has arrived and just as spectacular as the Thunder,Its going to take some beating,I might stay in today. HoHum Actually, I'm definitely staying in. :ohmy:

We are sat here like a pair of old kids, giggling and oooooohing every time we see the lightening,and doing the 1 2 3 etc,to see how far away the thunder is, Can anyone remember doing that, Is there any truth in it,cos if there is i'm off down the shelter ,LOL ITS RIGHT OVER HEAD,

PS ,Mick2me, #2, My hubby can't stop laughing.

Yes I think it is over head when they both come at the same time lols. A few rumbles and one downpour here so far.

Last night was the most spectacular north of Nottingham, with a huge storm passing over around 10pm. There were flashes every 30 seconds or so at times - most in the clouds rather than towards the ground. Some of the horizontal lightning was very spectacular indeed. Impossible to photograph as it happened so suddenly and unpredictably!

Thunderstorms are part and parcel of our weather year round around here, severe thunderstorms at certain times of the year can cause tornadoes to spawn!

I've heard several close lightning strikes over the years, one stripped an old oak tree of a large limb, sounded like a bomb going off!

I found a few of the other strike spots, one is a dead tree just 50 feet from the house in the woods, another was a tree, huge black scar down it's trunk..

Watched many a lightning show to the south of us as it's fairly open land.

Most of our nasty weather comes in from the south west, but the last week of thunderstorms have come from the north west and north east, odd pattern of weather for us.

Last night's lightning over Arnold was indeed spectacular. Not so welcome was the return visit at 5am this morning. Had to get up to make sure the dog was OK.

Still, at least the lawn is recovering and our water butt is full - as are a couple of watering cans and a couple of large buckets. The joys of being on a water meter, eh?

First clap of thunder, three dogs ran outside barking, colliding with three cats running in!

I've copied that to several forums with general hilarity...the image of dogs and cats tearing about in different directions has cheered up many a dull thread. :biggrin:

No rain down here in South Devon, and only distant rumbles of thunder. Woken at 1.45 by hot doggy breath in my ear - she heard it all before we did. Then the rumbles started, and she was alternately trying to climb on the bedside table, and scramble under it, punctuated by further spells of heavy breathing in the lug'ole - wild terror in her eyes when we put the light on.

No rain down here in South Devon, and only distant rumbles of thunder. Woken at 1.45 by hot doggy breath in my ear - she heard it all before we did. Then the rumbles started, and she was alternately trying to climb on the bedside table, and scramble under it, punctuated by further spells of heavy breathing in the lug'ole - wild terror in her eyes when we put the light on.

And found the Mother in Law had come to stay... :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Darkasana,

Have a safe journey and enjoy your days off, The weather is dry now in West Mids, but doesn't look promising, :unsure: Hope its dry for you journey. :)

Thanks Carnie.

We are home now, got let off early for good behaviour (and because there were only 8 booked to come on site today !!!) Contrary to my fears there were no torrential downpours or storms on the way home. Just a few spits and spots. But as we got out at home we could hear a continual rumble in the distance, the rain has now started and the rumbling is getting closer along with some flashes of lightening, so Watch out Newarkodians Here It Comes again!!!

We have some amazing lightning shows in this area of Florida,never had a strike close to us,but have seen the damage it has done in some places, including houses and boats on the waterways.

Couple of pics i grabbed during the storm this morning, roughly 5:30am.

602671_10200929432171138_1934445472_n.jp

1002862_10200929455291716_57311945_n.jpg

• Upvote 1