Some times when i get that nostalgic feeling about Gedling and Carlton , and my early life there, especially at this time of year, with the onset of Autumn and the dark nights :huh: . Before we all had computers, i could only use my memory for reminiscing. But now thanks to this fantastic invention, i can walk the streets of the village any time i want, and apart from a few changes all is as it was in 1960s when i did those same walks as a teenager. I strolled around Gedling and Netherfield at 3am last night :biggrin: and it was great,I hesitated out side all the places that mean something to me. Google Maps has lots of benefits and this is one little use that gives me so much pleasure. :happy: I know it is probably because i don't live there anymore that i have these strong feelings but are there any other Nottstalgians out there who take a walk round there home city on Google Maps. Try it, its fab. :)

I can do both as my Dad still lives in the house I was brought up in. However, It is nice to look in all those back gardens we wouldn't have dared to nosey into all those years ago. The old woods where I used to play are now occupied by industrial units which are a bit life expired (like me) now. So it is nice to look behind the scenes to see if anything is left.

I roofed over my back yard in 1973 to make a conservatory...simple job between the house and a garden wall. I was amused to see on Google that it was still standing. My joinery skills must have been better than I thought. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

I discovered the delights of the Google street view a few months ago and it is fascinating walking and driving around Nottingham without any of the problems of driving in the wrong lane or getting lost with the new roads and streets which have been developed over the 30 years or more since I braved the traffic in reality.

I was amazed to be able to drive from The Arboretum through to Ruddington in just about 10 minutes and not get held up at lights or in traffic once !!

I have had a look at all the houses I have lived in on Google Earth but could not recognize any of the cars parked there. Even from fairly recently.

Not just the UK of course . France seems to have recently gone on to streetview . I'm sure it wasn't available a few months ago . Have been revisiting some places from holidays from my younger days.

Is there a way to get it to open up in streetview ? At the moment still have to drag the little yellow man down onto the map .

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=la+boule+france&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1280&bih=709&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.jkEW54nYU50.O&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

France has been on streetview for a while, but it was just the main towns and citys, until the latest update, a lot of the villages are still not on streetview or it just goes down the main road through the village.

Thanks MeltonS , I must have always been looking at the more remote areas before then .

Useful now though if you want to check out what the area around a campsite or holiday destination is like .

Use it regularly here in oz to check out remote camp sites and accessability etc. in sattelite view.

Also do a regular run around Nottm and my old house and the rest of my now mostly departed family, still got a son there and a brother in law so check out their places too.

As said though some images ar way out of date. Funny to see my BIL's car parked on his drive when he got rid of it about a year ago !

As a complete and utter railway nut, I like to trace the course of long gone railways in the Nottinghamshire area. I can see what may be left much more easily than trying to see from ground level.

• Upvote 1