A few famous Nottingham characters

Just an update on #3 about the mystery of the plaque that is in St.Marys Church about Lieutenant Still RN , that died in 1822 whilst in Sierra Leone . We can't claim him as a Notts man, as he was born in Tytherly , Hants in 1800 . Mother and father both from the London area .

To cut a long story short , the plaque was probably put there by a George Wilkins who was the priest of the church from 1817-1843 .

I haven't worked out the finer details but there is a connection somewhere (probably through marriage ) of the Wilkins family (could be Mrs Wilkins) and the Dashwoods . ( Note : Lieutenant Still's sister married an Alexander Dashwood ).

The clue is that George Wilkins called one of his sons George Dashwood Wilkins.

So my theory is............ Its the vicar wot dunnit !

• 8 years later...
On 9/23/2013 at 5:46 PM, Bendigo said:

They've made a Sillito app for the mobile phone, to walk tourists around the city, if I recall correctly.

Had similar conversation in same place.....lol.............True Nottingham of the 60s...................

Parked my trusty little Ford Anglia up near there, while taking my son to visit the castle.

(Had two disabled badges, one for each of our boys),

60s Nottingham.....wonderful.........even getting beat up by two blokes.......and falling drunk down stairs.........ruined me Suit both times.......would'nt change a thing.........

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Ray Winstone........but with a Notts accent..........proper dreamer me..........:)

Ben, wasn't Albert Brown a (famous) Bulwell resident who made the headlines in the 60's?

Yes Alpha.......and i'll wager he got beat up a few times......Met him once in the ''Miltons Head'' nice bloke........

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Ben, wasn't Albert Brown a (famous) Bulwell resident who made the headlines in the 60's?

Are you suggesting Albert would have been a good fit to play Ben in the film?    slywink

Working in the garden this afternoon, I was treated to  the sight of Ben and Big Maude, the wood pigeons, who clearly think it's spring!  I gave them some food but they weren't remotely interested. Those two only have beady eyes for each other!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Brew said:

Are you suggesting Albert would have been a good fit to play Ben in the film?    slywink

Think Ray Winstone could soon be in action on here...............he didnt like 'Lippy Geezers'

• Like 1