Bin A Bad Boy

Many years ago i got stopped for speeding, on a motorbike on Derby Road near the QMC. They pulled me up at a bus shelter which is no longer there. My first concern was that the bike wasn't taxed but luckily they didnt check the disc,so i got away with that.

Anyway,in due course a summons arrived,43 in a 30 and i decided to plead not guilty. I ended up in court, i think is was at the bottom of Mansfield Road. By now i was regretting this as both the cops who were on duty that day were there, and i had to cross question one of them.

The magistrate, it was either Geoffrey Macpherson or Derek Pavis can't remember which, believed my version of events,and i got off.

However, as i left the court room, both of the cops were waiting for me. Expecting the worst, i was surprised when they both shook my hand, complemented me on my recollections of that day, and bought me a coffee in the cafe upstairs!

Check Mondays Daily Express about the new cameras that will be installed all over Britain. One wheel in the bus lane . GOTCHA! Stop in a yellow box. GOTCHA! Any slight infringement of the traffic laws they will have you. Unless you are a cyclist. And pedestrians can frighten you to death by strolling across the road in front of you mesmerised by their fantasy phones at any time. Motorists beware. It will soon become a criminal offence just to be a motorist.

In '63...got nicked just outside Lincoln doing 72 on the open road, in a Moggie 1000 van...£3 fine.Still hard to believe in those days all vehicles registered as commercials were limited to 30mph on ALL roads...even a mini van.

God knows how they expected us to get from A to B on business at that speed.Then they increased it to 40 just before building the motorways.

In 1971 I was DJing at the Slipper when I got a slip of paper handed to me which I read out....

"The police are outside they wish to speak to the owner of Ford Cortina registration ........."

Hang on thats my car. I rushed outside to be cautioned by a young fresh faced bobby...

"Your not obliged to say anything but..."

Me "I'm not saying note"

I was reported for no road tax.. I had sent off for it and put the stubs from the postal orders in the windscreen to prove it."TAX IN POST"

Result Cautionary letter from the inspector at WB.

In the early 90's I went through a red filter light at the junction of the A 52 and Stragglethorpe Road (Towards Cotgrave) In mitigation , it was 4.00 am (On my way into work) and it was obvious there was nothing coming the other way, also the road surface had been ripped up over night, thus removing the under surface micro switch that told the light controls that a vehicle was waiting to turn !

There was a copper sat down the little dirt track on the left and I naturally assumed he was waiting to direct traffic across the junction. After I'd sat there for a minute or so it became obvious that it wasn't going change , It always changed immediately at that time of day as there was never anything coming in the opposite direction, so I drove through. Seconds later there he was "Blues and twos" going like I'd committed a bank robbery or some such crime. I pulled over and his first words were.

"Do you know what the speed restrictions are down this road sir?"

"Yes" said I "As it's in a 'national speed restrictions apply zone' and there are no lamp posts it's a 60"

"And just what speed were you doing sir?"

"59" I replied, "I'm hardly likely to break the speed limit with a copper on my tail am I ?"

Well to say he wasn't best happy to have the highway code quoted at him is an understatement ! He then started going over the car with a fine tooth comb, a big mistake as I'd only just had it MOTd !!

Rather peeved at not finding any thing he started with the "Your tyres are worn" routine, again he was a bit p1553d off as I showed him the MOT pass certificate with the previous days date on it ! There wasn't even an 'advisory' on it !

In the end (Despite my protestations) he wrote me a ticket for going through the red light. I refused to pay it , wrote them a note admitting I had gone through the red light and gave them the mitigating circumstances. They wouldn't listen and took it to court.

I stood in front of the magistrates feeling a little disgruntled to say the least. The copper wasn't there, but in his statement he claimed I was driving in excess of 70 mph !!! and that he's warned me about the state of my car !!

Anyway the outcome was the magistrates believed me, but because I'd admitted to going through the light on red I was found guilty and got 3 points on my licence ! No fine or court costs though.

I asked the magistrates what they suggested I did if it ever happened again. He shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know what to suggest.

Disabled parking without the sticker $700 min

No fishing licence $1100 & that was in 1989

Cf numbers on the boat not in the right order( The numbers on both sides of the boat) $700 I know this one for a fact my son was test driving a boat he was going to buy the owner had them mixed up even though it wasn't my sons boat yet he was the driver not a fixit ticket either.

If you have a vehicle in the US you have to have it licenced even if its not used or a Non Operational placed on it at the DMV.

If you do let the licence expire & do nothing the next time you go to licence you are met with massive late fees.

I got fined $25 this year as someone stole my licence tag off the truck 2 days after I got it renewed. Then I had to buy another tag . Now I stick the tag on & slice it with a razor blade multiple times.

I had to go before the judge as anything regarding licence fees is a nono. I explained it & he still fined me to witch I replied That's a load of B----cks then he asked me what that meant & I said "a load of Money", He said he had seen it on the Newcastle brown advert on TV thanks for explaining it.

I just don't know why you stick it out living in "Kalifornia" DG. The state is too liberal, full of fruits and nuts.

When I was living there, before both I and the missus woke up, I was reading of a feller who at his own expense, made himself a fishing lake on his own land, just a few acres of water, stocked it with fish and fenced his property with a locked gate.

Guess what??? He had a visit from the wildlife bods while he was fishing one weekend on his own land, at his own lake and fishing his own fish!! He was booked for fishing without a license on his own land...etc etc..

He tried to fight it but lost...

Crazy state run by crazy people...

I just don't know why you stick it out living in "Kalifornia" DG. The state is too liberal, full of fruits and nuts.

I'll give you a subtle clue John. It's called "The Weather" !!

As for the last bit, ain't that America in general ?

The weather might be good there Ian, but the politics stinks, and has done for many years. It's one of the most expensive and restrictive states in the union too.

My well for water was drilled to 550 feet here in Missouri for the cost of the drillers charges, per foot, no permits no state charges required, in "Kalifornia" the permits would have cost me in excess of $1000, if they allowed me!!

Land taxes in "Kalifornia" are astronomical, even out in the country, mine was nearly $2000 per year on a rural property when we lived there, average around here is $300 per year, BIG difference!

I could go on, but weather is not everything...

"Kalifornia" is heading for a water crisis in the not too distant future, the tree huggers are making sure of that, they want all dams demolished so the poor little "fishys" can swim up the rivers....

only ever been stopped once that was a few years ago we came out clifton bridge inn siverdale cop car came from off the estate behind usabout 12 midnight followed us up to the hostpital put his lights on to stop us by this time we in underpass dave puts up his handto acnoledge them and stopped just after park gates ,why did they say they had stopped us because we were doing 50 in a 60 mile limitthought dave had been drinkingas anybody who knows us dave only ever drinks coke or coffee when we out first thing they asked him when he was sat in police car is that your daughter dave just laught and said no its my wifethey checked out the car with me still sitting in it shinning the torch in at me asking are you ok dear i said yes thank you sonnyhe looked younger than my sons they still made him produce his documents within 7 day we were all legal so went down to radford rd next day.

We are required to carry a current drivers license at all times over here, plus proof of insurance and vehicle registration, so all checks are done at the traffic stop....

The fine for not having those documents with you vary, state to state, but you can end up with your vehicle towed and impounded without insurance and registration docs.

They don't need the doc's over here now, everything's on data bases.

Last time I was stopped I went to produce my insurance certificate, driving license and log book copper says "no thanks mate that can be a fiddle, data base's don't lie". He gave me a funny look when I replied "depends what idiot government employee is doing the imputing".

Still not sure if he realised I was inferring most government employees including coppers.

Colin

That's alright if you're stopped in the UK, but what happens say you take the car into Europe??? Much the same as here, each state is a different country, tbh, I don't think the state has the insurance logged on their databases. But if I'm stopped interstate, my guess is dispatch will do an interstate check on my license whereas it won't show on their own database...Not sure about that one, but a guess.

The police computer won't check on interstate registered vehicles either, dispatch would have to do that. A lot easier to say, "your papers please"

DG, our registration stickers are already scored, you can peel them off the paper, but once pressed on the plates, impossible to get off in one piece.

Well I'll give you a clue re driving in Europe. We take our documents with us. It's a bit of common sense really.

The mistake I made was to stack the stickers they take a razor & take the whole pile.

Or even better they take the whole plate.

But then again in the Uk they take the whole car.

Dunno, but I wouldn't leave my car for too long in down town Sacramento anyway...LOL

Yeah I got in the habit of peeling the old stickers off and scoring the new ones when I lived that way.

In Victoria (Oz), 2013 will be the last year of issue for rego certificates, instead relying on number plate scanning software in the police vehicles to identify whether a motor vehicle (car/bike/van/truck) is registered. The driver won't see any reduction though, straight into the coffers of the State government.

I once left my car in the car park at the airport, it would be February time. On returning from the trip and getting home, I realised someone had peeled off my tax sticker from the license plate. It ran out in March, they weren't very clever whoever did it, you'd at least think they'd pinch one with a longer time left on it. Nowadays, Arizona, don't know about other states, print your licence plate on your tax sticker.

I once left my car in the car park at the airport, it would be February time. On returning from the trip and getting home, I realised someone had peeled off my tax sticker from the license plate. It ran out in March, they weren't very clever whoever did it, you'd at least think they'd pinch one with a longer time left on it. Nowadays, Arizona, don't know about other states, print your licence plate on your tax sticker.

We don't have tax stickers Kath, just the sticker for the license plate.

Yeah but I don't complain about it........So there.....LOL

"They've got SCMODS (State, County, Municipal Offender Data System)"

BLUES, ELWOOD
ILLINOIS LICENSE : B263-1655-2187
CURRENTLY UNDER SUSPENSION
WARRANTS OUTSTANDING : PARKG. 116
MOVING VIOLATIONS : 56
ARREST DRIVER... IMPOUND VEHICLE

• Upvote 1