Hedgerow Remedies and Recipes

We have a 'cob nut' tree in our garden. What's the difference between that and a hazel nut? They look the same and taste the same and the squirrels love them of course.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to London recently with a colleague of mine who is a very accomplished plastic surgeon, not one of those who does cosmetic surgery but does the real hard core plastic surgery- burns, unhealing

That was the link I posted earlier #43 Trevor.....but I'm glad you thought it was worthy of the thread #55 PeverilPeril I covered Easter in my Pagan Celebrations Thread, just a mention this year con

There is a maxim for life that if you can eat it you can put it on your skin, and this is certainly true for most plants and herbs. The healing properties of plants which you can find growing in your

Interesting, Darkazana. I never noticed that the young nuts taste like coconut but my taste buds aren't what they used to be.....

#43 thought you might have spotted that Darkanza. Been waiting for you to tell us something about Easter.

Re crab apple jelly - we used to make that but alas no crab apples available here. However we do have a selection of cider apples, a couple which are quite bitter with high tannin. May be worth trying to make some jelly with those as a base. Plenty of hazel nuts, damsons, sloe, various plums, elder, rowan, rosehips, cherries, raspberries and blackberries in the seasons. So permutations are endless.

Been advised to add some hazel nuts to our 'improved' cider to give it colour and character.

You can grow hazelnuts from the nuts themselves, you need fresh nuts, put them in the freezer for a few weeks, take them out and file away at the shell in one place, DON'T go all the way through!!, then put them in a pot of potting compost and keep warm and watered.

I'm in the process of doing this.

Grown a couple of Pecans, that went in the ground with my other pecans.

Read where Nottingham scientists have recreated a 1,000-year-old Anglo-Saxon potion for eye infections and discovered it kills hospital superbug MRSA.

The remedy, which consists of onion, garlic, wine and bile from a cow's stomach brewed in a brass vessel, is able to kill off the potentially-fatal bacterial infection and worthy of inclusion in 'Hedgerow Remedies and Recipes'.

Read more:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-scientists-discover-1-000-year-old-eye/story-26254495-detail/story.html?dm_i=1C2C,3AH3Z,J7VB3O,BS0X9,1

I wonder if that concoction has dissolved copper from the brass vessel?? I've been using a very old antibiotic a number of years called colloidal silver, seems copper kills bugs too.

I was reading somewhere that hospitals are changing chrome plated door handles/knobs for copper ones as germs die pretty quickly on copper, but not on chrome.

I made some colloidal copper a few years back, but unlike colloidal silver, you have to be careful, it really upsets the natural balance of the gut.....Plenty of bog roll, if you get the picture!

Whereas silver is safe and stable.

Colloidal silver was used to treat the nastier social diseases pre modern antibiotics, and fell out of favour, it's now being used to treat severe burn patients with success and less scarring.

• Upvote 1

That was the link I posted earlier #43 Trevor.....but I'm glad you thought it was worthy of the thread :)

#55 PeverilPeril I covered Easter in my Pagan Celebrations Thread, just a mention this year concerning how Easter originated as the pagan Ostara but a bit more about it on post #41 on that thread.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...

Time to get out the brewing kits folks. Elderflower is just coming into its own now, and looks like it's going to be a bumper year. Yesterday I collected enough to make a double batch of Elderflower Cordial, but there is still plenty still in the bud stage, so maybe get another batch made next time we're home.

Don't forget to collect it at around mid day when the sun is shining and the heads are dry, the pollen will be at its most potent ensuring a good flavour. You only need 20 heads for a batch so don't take too much, leave it for the berries to mature.

Another tip is not to wash or shake the flowers as this will release the pollen. Any wee beasties can be sieved out of the cordial before bottling.

Elderflower cordial is a good way to stave off summer colds and flu as it is full of vitamin C, and carries on working even when you don't have any left. My hubby and I have not had a cold since we have been making and drinking Elderflower Cordial, along with the Elderberry remedy which I make later in the year.

Here is a good recipe from The Hedgerow Handbook by Adele Nozedar

1.5 kg Granulated Sugar

1.7 Ltr Boiling Water

20 Heads Elderflower

50 g Citric Acid (available from chemists and health shops)

2 unwaxed Lemons sliced

Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water and leave to cool in a large bowl.

Add all the other ingredients to the bowl, cover and leave for 24 hours at room temperature.

Strain and pour into sterilised bottles. I use 1ltr plastic bottles which I have sterilised with Milton and then rinsed out.

It is ready to drink immediately. We usually add lemonade or sparkling water to it, it's light and very refreshing. A sort of non alcoholic champagne.

• Upvote 2

Ayupmeducks

Many of the noble metals are self-disinfecting. Carrying on from the eye ointment - I knew an eye surgeon who had sets of surgical instruments gold plated.

Actually, for door knobs and such, its easier to wash your hands.

Colloidal silver is available from Boots - trade name is Flamazine but its available in tubes under colloidal silver. It is a fantastic burn healer.

Now that the sun has made an appearance - for sun burn then flamazine is the best. For just redness and soreness from the sun - yoghurt.

• 5 months later...

Other good sources of vitamin D are fatty fish, salmon, tuna, sardines etc which also contain the essential omega 3 oils.

The other day somebody threw a bottle of omega 3 capsules at me, I only have super fish oil injuries, but I'm lucky I wasn't krilled!

• Upvote 2

Now that the sun has made an appearance - for sun burn then flamazine is the best. For just redness and soreness from the sun - yoghurt.

I prefer to eat yogourt. I always use Aloe Vera gel . Its fantastic for bites and stings along with lavender essential oil. The irritation disappears almost at once.

• 1 year later...

I've a sore throat beginning to irritate me. It must be the  result of getting absolutely drenched in that storm on Thursday.

Ive a bottle of raspberry vinegar that I bought a week or so ago. Has anyone got any idea of how much to take. Do I sip a glass full, or slurp the lot in one go ?

I'm not a big Scotch drinker but I enjoy a malt on occasions. However I find that with regard to coughs colds and sore throats, if you can catch it in time, the drinking of a largish amount of Scotch (don't waste a fine malt on this!) has strong curative properties. Just drink a few drams and have a good night's sleep. It works for me most times! 

I've got some Grants to finish off. That'll do, I'm not wasting Jameson's on medicinal purposes.

• Upvote 1

If you want a medicinal malt Lagavulin has the appropriate taste. I went across to Islay with my son a couple of years ago and we visited all eight of the distilleries in one day. A marathon drive! Obviously, as we were driving, not a drop was taken but we did pick up a few souvenirs and some quaiches. Planning next year's Scottish adventure already!

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I've got some Grants to finish off. That'll do, I'm not wasting Jameson's on medicinal purposes.

Ask Father Christmas to bring you a bottle of Jameson:s Special Reserve.

Spot on Gem. That'll do for starters !

Well my sore throat has gone, so I assume that the whisky worked last night.

Trouble is, it was extremely difficult opening my eyes this morning........... Not that there's much worth seeing on a thoroughly wet and dismal day such as this !