the importance of good manners.

A playgroup I used to go to thought I was too harsh on my daughter. Now I wasn't cruel, but I couldn't stand toddlers who didn't say thank you, eat with their mouths open and licked snit from their running noses while their mother's did nothing.

If my daughter didn't say thank you to someone, I wouldn't let her walk off till she said it, I held her hand and asked nicely for her to say it untill she did.

Now at the age of 2, I get compliments from others aboutwhat a polite child she is. I don't have to remind her to say thank you or please, she covers her mouth when she coughs, asks for a tissue when she has a runny nose. She's also extremely loving to other children by greeting her little friends at our current play group with a hug when she goes to say hello.

I think manners are taught at an early age, and I'm proud my daughter has them already because I don't have to worry about how she acts when we're out or with people, everyone says what a pleasure she is to be around.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would very much like your opinions of manners, if someone comes to visit your home - do you expect themto have any? I only ask as I can't stand ignorance, I have a family member who whenever they

A playgroup I used to go to thought I was too harsh on my daughter. Now I wasn't cruel, but I couldn't stand toddlers who didn't say thank you, eat with their mouths open and licked snit from their ru

I work for an agency anywhere that food is served. In ALL staff canteens the is but one ritual, particularly among young women. Sit down. Put plate of food down. Check phone. Have a mouthful of food.

You are not too harsh. You are bringing her up with a better chance in life than children with parents who couldn't care less. Bless her. Children are a delight but especially so when they are well mannered.

Me and my partner are quite a fan of subway. But the Arnold branch is awful. Ignorant staff who barely talk to you. Stingey with the fillings isn't the word! I asked for abit extra once and they said it'd be for an extra charge! Had the same service both times we've been. Now we go to the colwick branch or netherfield where the service is good, you get what you want for no extra cost. Apart from the netherfield branch charge extra for a hot drink and colwick include it in the deal for a sub and a drink.

If you don't have people skills, don't work with people. It's that simple.

I went to our local subway yesterday whilst I was down that way , after having had an email from them on Tuesday, reminding me I had enough points on my loyalty card for a free sub, it didn't say how big and I couldn't remember how many you needed either.

Now cue the thickest staff in the world:-

Me :-... "Will you check my card please and tell me if I have enough for a foot long, if not I'll pay the difference" (SWMBO and I would have shared it as usual)

Girl " I don't think you can do that , you can only have a 6 inch"

"Ah OK , I'll have a six inch cheese steak please" (If there were enough points left SWMBO could have a free one too.

So she prepares it then asks if I wanted it grilled, to which I replied in the positive. I then went up to pay for it with the card that I'd already handed over to be checked. The girl doing the food prep asked what i wanted on it, I told her and as she was doing it the other one decided it was time to tell me my card was invalid !!

I kept my cool and started saying "Well if that's the case why did I get an email telling me I had all these points to use?" I think I got about half way through saying it when it dawned on me I was talking to people who couldn't even do one simple task (Can you check how many points on my card please!!) So I said , "Oh forget it" and walked out leaving them with a cheese steak with red onion and onion relish on it !

What a swine I am at times!

Oooh, Iv never had a cheese steak but the big beef melt is nice!

Have you tried the mango chicken sub yet?

Subway really does employ some thickos sometimes!

Beefsteak. People like that end up closing the place they're working in. With so many people out of work, how do idiots like that get the job in the first place?

I realise that this thread is all to do with Good Manners but as there are several comments about Subway I'd like to say that I've bought food in their outlets in the UK, USA and Bahamas and no matter what stuff I've asked for on the bread they always taste exactly the same. Is it just me or do others have the same opinion? I've decided that however hungry I may be I won't spend my money in Subway again.

Denshaw, definitely was not Cafe Zero. They've always given good service.

Just in case this was a one-off, or she was just having a bad day, or indeed if she is no longer working there, I'd prefer not to name the place.

There are quite a few Subways over here in France, and I also find them a bit pricey, especially when you can go into a Bistro and get a proper meal for around the same price as a Subways sandwich and drink,

Although I'm not a fan of Subway anymore one thing i will say is that their product very nutritious, if you choose the right fillings and have plenty of salad on it!

• 4 years later...