The 2013 Christmas Thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last Christmas eve I sat on Princes street Edinburgh with some homeless, I bought them hot sausage rolls and a hot chocolate drink, I don't know why I did that, it just seemed the right thing to do at

We love Christmas, but I do not allow preparations to start until December, apart from shopping for gifts and making the Christmas puds and cake. It's a time of giving, not necessarily receiving. A ti

Further to that. I am not overly religious but whether it is true or not, I love the Christmas story because in the manic dash for presents and despair of not having enough money to get what someone

Only seven weeks to go, so a Christmas thread is due. Can't possibly have a Christmas thread without a traditional poem.

T'was Christmas day in the workhouse the snow was raining fast

A bare-footed man with clogs on came slowly running passed.

He turmed a straight crooked corner to see a dead donkey die

He took out his penknife to shoot it and it kicked him one right in the eye.

I went to the pictures next Christmas and took two front seats at the back

a lady gave me a plain cake with currants in

I ate it and gave it her back....

• Upvote 1

Christmas morning was awful when I was a lad. I had to go to Mass before opening my presents! As I grew up I saw the error of my ways and ditched the religion :D

• Upvote 2
Christmas is coming, no-ones gerrin fat,
We cant afford to shop for grub, Camerons seen to that,
We can't afford a Turkey, we'll make do with pigeon leg,
Served on a bed of lettuce, between two bits of bread.
Mr Cameron’s coming to town, he sees where you are sleeping.
That empty bedroom cant hide from him, he can tell if no one's there.
And if you've any children, and they number more than two,
You'd better hide the others, or he'll tax you for them too!
He can't wait for April, he's planned who he will curse,
With extra cuts so he can make your next Christmas worse.
  • Upvote 2

bilbraborn i carnt get up and dance anymore but it dont stop me still doing the hand jive and other little dances in my chair as hippo girl and a few others on here can confirm id love to be able to jive twist and any other dance , but it wont happenbut boy do i still like to get out to live music gigs or just a disco some of my younger friends laugh and tell me im mad but hope they are like me when they get oldand to a lot of them 30 is old.

no christmas decs up yet mine never go up till christmas day and come down on twelth night

It's ok folks I have now had my birthday anyway so decs can go up, Christmas music on and let the festivities begin :jumping:

my christmas did begin this weekend though panto friday toy run saturday and bikers meal at the canoneese restraunt that used to be the old robinhood cafe or whitepost 24 hour cafe on 614 yesterday this friday will be bikers meal at the whiteheart so the busy christmas celerbrations have well and truly begun

• Upvote 1

Anyone any idea how long cookies can be made in advance?

We have bought some seasonal cookie jars and I would like to make some cookies, flapjack and Florentines to put inside. The problem I have is that for families who live further away we usually arrange a gift exchange round about the second week in December and I wonder if home made cookies will still be ok by Christmas Day. They will be in cellophane bags. Any one with any experience on this one please?

I can't dance for long. It wears me out.

Anyway. I've put me decos up. All me lights along the windows at front of the house and trimmings in the front room.

Cake bases made ready for icing. Fresh batch of mincemeat made ready to make mince pies.

Yabadabadoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darkazana,

I just looked on the internet and most of the answers are approx two weeks in an air tight container, but i have never tried it myself. GoodLuck I might try making some tomorrow, you got me fancying now. mmmmmmyum

Bilbraborn,

I'm doing mi marzipaning tomorrow. nearly forgot oops

OOOO We have gone very festive. Normal site when I popped over to Amazon, Christmassy when I came back :jumping:

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Everywhere you go.

Trouble is I spend the next coupla months trying to lose a bit of weight.

#114 Carni, thanks. I looked on the web too but there are so many different opinions on the shelf life I wondered if anyone had any idea on here. I should know I make them enough times, only they don't last more than a day in our house, I know shortbread has a good shelf life, but I have seen some chocolate covered Florentine stars. They look lovely, but no clue as to how long they will keep.

i always used to make all kinds os sweets with the kids at work at this time of the year marzipan fruits coconut ice peppermint creams my own version of rum truffles made with medera cake melted jam chocolate vericeli and of course rum flavoring for the kids but real rum for the adults..and cholate covered cherries glazed cherries for kids but brandy soaked marracino cherries for adults always went down well with my friends who got a box

• Upvote 1