businesses of old

I remember my wife going up Derby Road every week to Baker and Plumb in the early 70s .

She wanted a "tudor" dark oak-style dining table and a matching , small welsh-dresser .

I think the two together were about £70 . At the time , they said they didn't do HP but she could pay installments and when it was paid in full they would deliver .

So every week she would make the trip from Thorneywood on a number 31 to the Square , trudge up Derby Rd with our eldest in his pushchair to Baker and Plumbs until it was paid off .

Still got the furniture , except the dark "oak" table has now been painted cream and the dresser is a pastel blue !

An old advert from 1937 :

11074868565_bfa7c3cf5e_z.jpg

• Upvote 3

I worked in the warehouse ofbaker and plumb worked like crazy in the morning slow after lunch so a game of golf was in order first draw a circle in chalk golf hole second take a yard stick gollf club take a dead box of matches golf ball and play ;;not brilliant but did pass time .also worked at Great Clowes during strikes spent a lot of time there working in the dark.those were the days when jobs were easy to get and if you moved around you were judged to be lazy hence people working at boots or raleigh all there working lives which meant i had more jobs before i left school than some people had all their lives .thats weird.

• Upvote 1

Austin A40 Farina, Austin Cambridge, Triumph Herald and a Morris Minor Traveller, with a Ford Pop nosing in on the car park.

Is that Mrs DAVIDW posing in the doorway having completed the purchase ? Like the hat !

• Upvote 1

Commo , no not MrsDW , lady in pic, looks more like my mum !

Think we may have over estimated how much the table and dresser were , probably more like £35 for the two but still way more than we could afford outright at the time (or now ) !

The sort of cars i cleaned when i was at school mud and a bit of water brought that chrome up like new coulnt afford duraglit think brown sauce worked as well but not usually carried in my pocket.

Re #14, was this at one time the site for Texas Homecare which I remember being somewhere down Castle Boulevard in the early 70's ?

Commo, the building in the photo was demolished to make way for what became the MFI showroom/warehouse. That in turn was demolished and has been replaced by this http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;PTPN001662&prevUrl=

I think there was a Texas on Castle Boulevard, but I have an idea it was at the other (i.e. Castle) end.

I have tried searching the site and can't see it mentioned but the DIY place we always used to go to was Big D at Rise Park . Which at times was great and other times a bit ropey . This was before all the B&Qs and Homebase etc .

Did it become a Madeleys (some connection to Paul Madeley of Leeds Utd ) ? Or was that somewhere else . It was a national concern , as I know there was a Madeleys down in St Austell when we moved to Cornwall early 80s .